What's new

India’s Operating System to be ready in 3 years: Saraswat

Saraswat OS? interesting...developed from Linux Kernel v2.68 ?
I only used uCOSII and Linux Kernel for embeded system development(ARM core), where can i download 'Sarawat'?

Saraswat is the dude who's giving the interview about the OS. I don't believe the article mentions what the OS will be called, unless I missed it.

This fellow needs to seriously shut his trap and concentrate on getting things done. The way he has been talking all over the place, he looks like he is on a reality show wanting votes from tv viewers.

This fellow needs to seriously shut his trap and concentrate on getting things done. The way he has been talking all over the place, he looks like he is on a reality show wanting votes from tv viewers.

DRDO is a very political organization, and as such it is natural to expect the head to be a media wh0re. Not that getting attention from Indian media is a good thing considering how sh1tty most of them are.

DRDO is a very political organization, and as such it is natural to expect the head to be a media wh0re. Not that getting attention from Indian media is a good thing considering how sh1tty most of them are.

...Is that why you decided not to join DRDO so that you can go to canada to make money ?

...Is that why you decided not to join DRDO so that you can go to canada to make money ?
Nope, just to study and get the hell out of here next year with my better half. And I'm pretty sure DRDO does not require an environmental engineer-turned-night auditor. Besides making insinuations about my location/profession doesn't change the fact that DRDO needs to concentrate less on PR and more on following through with completing the 40-60% of the projects that keep getting delayed for some reason or the other. Failure is forgivable, constant excuses are not.

Another Indian paint-job in the making. Why? Copy and paste didn't work anymore?

Nope, just to study and get the hell out of here next year with my better half. And I'm pretty sure DRDO does not require an environmental engineer-turned-night auditor. Besides making insinuations about my location/profession doesn't change the fact that DRDO needs to concentrate less on PR and more on following through with completing the 40-60% of the projects that keep getting delayed for some reason or the other. Failure is forgivable, constant excuses are not.

....so tell me enlightened one ..what is the difference between 'a reason' and 'a excuse' ?

....so tell me enlightened one ..what is the difference between 'a reason' and 'a excuse' ?

Your sarcasm isn't really helping your intention to defend DRDO, admirable as your patriotism is at defending an entity that is the spawn of government bureaucracy and a apparent "yaar yeh janta ki paisa hai, tho koi baat nahin" attitude , but I'll play along.

a) Appalling project management (even under sanctions) as compared to ISRO.
b) Project definitions that are not specific.
c) Lack of an accountability system in place
d) Escalating costs.
e) Repeated attempts at reinvention.

Take your pick. Not taking away anything from the success stories of DRDO like Arjun Mk II, or the Agni series, or it's proficiency in designing aircraft avionics, but the fact that a majority of their projects are still 'in development' simply screams that DRDO needs it's development responsibilities slashed, or preferably privatized.

Why not? It's pretty transparent and efficient system. What would you advise? :what:

we already have a govt. sponsored linux based OS called BOSS (go to distrowatch.com to see details) for general public consumption. I think what DRDO is talking about is creating an OS from scratch for military and defence system . People can't write codes for the hardwares and sytem they don`t have access to, so Mr. Linus Torvald and his world wide gang wont be much helpful.

But then this is just my opinion I could be wrong though ..

we already have a govt. sponsored linux based OS called BOSS (go to distrowatch.com to see details) for general public consumption. I think what DRDO is talking about is creating an OS from scratch for military and defence system . People can't write codes for the hardwares and sytem they don`t have access to, so Mr. Linus Torvald and his world wide gang wont be much helpful.

But then this is just my opinion I could be wrong though ..

That is what I felt. Linux is not infallible.

Your sarcasm isn't really helping your intention to defend DRDO, admirable as your patriotism is at defending an entity that is the spawn of government bureaucracy and a apparent "yaar yeh janta ki paisa hai, tho koi baat nahin" attitude , but I'll play along.

a) Appalling project management (even under sanctions) as compared to ISRO.
b) Project definitions that are not specific.
c) Lack of an accountability system in place
d) Escalating costs.
e) Repeated attempts at reinvention.

Take your pick. Not taking away anything from the success stories of DRDO like Arjun Mk II, or the Agni series, or it's proficiency in designing aircraft avionics, but the fact that a majority of their projects are still 'in development' simply screams that DRDO needs it's development responsibilities slashed, or preferably privatized.

..and you attitude of "yaar yeha internet anonymity hai, kuch bhi bol saktha hoon, koi responsibility nahi hai" is also apparent.

1. ISRO's consecutive failure in launching GSLV is not poor 'Project management' ?
2. Please be more 'specific' about DRDO's lack of 'specifics'. I guess such things are not applicable to the real guys.
3. Every program is reviewed in 6 months, every project is review and entire DRDO is audited by CAG. Every promotion is after written test and technical interview. How else is 'accountability' established?
4. Every project in the world suffers from 'escalating cost'....!!!! especially R&D !
5. Reinvention is done only when it is necessary due to 'embargos' and 'bans'. No one likes to do it unless necessary.

DRDO is as efficient or inefficent as any other Govt. organization. It works withing the limits and constraints of GoI.

I have no reason to defend DRDO ......I try to stick to facts rather than shoot out my mouth and give opinions disguised as 'facts'.

..and you attitude of "yaar yeha internet anonymity hai, kuch bhi bol saktha hoon, koi responsibility nahi hai" is also apparent.

1. ISRO's consecutive failure in launching GSLV is not poor 'Project management' ?
2. Please be more 'specific' about DRDO's lack of 'specifics'. I guess such things are not applicable to the real guys.
3. Every program is reviewed in 6 months, every project is review and entire DRDO is audited by CAG. Every promotion is after written test and technical interview. How else is 'accountability' established?
4. Every project in the world suffers from 'escalating cost'....!!!! especially R&D !
5. Reinvention is done only when it is necessary due to 'embargos' and 'bans'. No one likes to do it unless necessary.

DRDO is as efficient or inefficent as any other Govt. organization. It works withing the limits and constraints of GoI.

I have no reason to defend DRDO ......I try to stick to facts rather than shoot out my mouth and give opinions disguised as 'facts'.

Granted, I see why you presume I don't have a responsibility, I don't live in India. But you do, and so do a billion others, part of whose taxes go towards keeping DRDO functioning. Despite GSLV, I don't really think you can question the success rate of ISRO as compared to DRDO, both being government organizations working within the 'limits and constraints' of GoI as you put it. And yet operating on a shoestring budget (no fault of their own, I get it), do you really believe it to be a good policy decision to concentrate on so many projects (not continuing ones like LCA or Arjun) on their own initiative and continuously providing interviews about project delays when the simple reason is that they've overcommitted themselves? IMO, the cost escalations are in part to blame on this very overcommittment. And finally, we were not being embargoed by Russia or France after Pokhran II, what stopped DRDO from joint cooperation on long overdue projects before and for a while after? All in all, I believe DRDO is an entity that takes on more than it can realistically handle (more often than not identifying when a project can hog precious resources and manpower that can affect others). FFS leave all the prima donna rah-rah to the minister of defense or after a project has been completed, not during, not before, but after.

DRDO's projects are sanctioned by a joint committee of distinguished scientists who has spent a lifetime working for Indian scientific advancement. They projects are reviewed by Indian Defence heads and Bureaucratic and the Budget is allocated and sanctioned by professional Accounting body.

You must excuse my contempt for internet boys who think they know better than professionals who have spent their entire life doing what they do.

If multiple projects are sanctioned its because they are deemed necessary in the bigger scheme of things. This Big Picture is envisioned with an eye on the future and by accessing the present and studying the past.

DRDO labs also work within the bureaucratic system where they have to spend all the budget allocated to them or their funds will be reduced in the next year. This means that if they are unable to spend the money on productive projects ..they have to spend it on unnproductive projects too. This is one of the reasons ....they are multiple such practical reason.

For the Bureaucracy such budget allocation standard also follows a normalizing curve and is scientific way of budgeting huge spends.

There is a method to the 'madness' that you see in DRDO.......Just because you have limited ability to understand or see it does not mean DRDO is stupid...it just means someone else is ignorant.

Back
Top Bottom