What's new

India, Russia to develop missiles having speed of 6,000 kmph

trident2010

Reaction score
Country
India
India, Russia to develop missiles having speed of 6,000 kmph

NEW DELHI: India will soon become the first country to have cruise missiles with hyper speed of over 6,000 km per hour, as an agreement for their joint development will be signed with Russia during the visit of President Dmitry Medvedev here in December.

The first unit of Kudankulam nuclear plant, built by Russia in Tamil Nadu, will also be commissioned during the visit slated to begin from December 21.

Medvedev will be undertaking the visit for annual India-Russia Summit with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, during which the two sides will discuss ways to further enhance their relations in various fields.

One of the highlights of the visit would be signing of a contract for joint development of hypersonic version of the BrahMos cruise missile, defence ministry sources said here.

This version of the missile will have a speed of over 6,000 kms per hour, making India the only country in the world to possess such missiles of this speed.

The speed of the existing variant of BrahMos is half than that of the proposed ones.

With a range of 290 kms, the hypersonic missiles are expected to be ready by 2015-16, the sources said.

The much-delayed first unit of Kudankulam nuclear power plant is also expected be made operational during the visit of Medvedev, who will be visiting the site for the purpose, they said.

The commissioning of the 1,000 MW Kudankulam-I, work on which began three years back, will set in motion the roadmap that the two countries are working on in the field of atomic energy cooperation.

Under the roadmap, a number of nuclear reactors would be set up by Russia in India.

Four of the reactors are envisaged to be established in Kudankulam in Tamil Nadu and one in Haripur in West Bengal, with scope for more in future.

The proposal to set up a Russian nuclear plant in Haripur is facing resistance from local people, but the government is hopeful of convincing them about its utility and allay their apprehensions.

The second unit of Kudankulam power plant will be made operational within six months of commissioning of the Unit-I.

During the visit of the Russian President, a number of other defence deals are also expected to be signed.

India, Russia to develop missiles having speed of 6,000 kmph - India - The Times of India

I wish something could be done about the 290 Km cap. That limit seriously undoes its full potential. Now imagine if we could somehow extend this to 1,000 Km. The psychological effect of that sort of a hypersonic missile stationed in Arunachal, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Jammu & Kashmir as well as Andaman and Nicobar Islands would be tremendous.

I wish something could be done about the 290 Km cap. That limit seriously undoes its full potential. Now imagine if we could somehow extend this to 1,000 Km. The psychological effect of that sort of a hypersonic missile stationed in Arunachal, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Jammu & Kashmir as well as Andaman and Nicobar Islands would be tremendous.

More than the range cap. Its the technology and knowhow behind the missile thats gonna help in building future ones.

Dont you agree?

One thing is for sure that Brahmos will always have a range (atleast officially) of 290 km...Its real range will be out in a war time only...However We will see many supersonic and subsonic missiles with much longer range..(

One thing is for sure that Brahmos will always have a range (atleast officially) of 290 km...Its real range will be out in a war time only...However We will see many supersonic and subsonic missiles with much longer range..(

No, the range would remain below 300 km. This missile is meant for export. Neither Russia nor India would like to loose a long earned goodwill for one missile. For longer range, other missiles can be/are being developed.

No, the range would remain below 300 km. This missile is meant for export. Neither Russia nor India would like to loose a long earned goodwill for one missile. For longer range, other missiles can be/are being developed.

The ones which will be exported to any third country will always have range less than 300 km.. It was the missiles which will be used by indian military, And one more thing sir, Even if india goes ahead with tweaking the range of missile , i dont think Russia will care...We have too strong bond to be broken by a missile..

One thing is for sure that Brahmos will always have a range (atleast officially) of 290 km...Its real range will be out in a war time only...However We will see many supersonic and subsonic missiles with much longer range..

The ones which will be exported to any third country will always have range less than 300 km.. It was the missiles which will be used by indian military, And one more thing sir, Even if india goes ahead with tweaking the range of missile , i dont think Russia will care...We have too strong bond to be broken by a missile..

I was not talking about trust btw Russia and India, but with world. And Russia will care, because if we do the tweaking, it will be her name involved in prolification. The bond may not break, but they will be more careful next time.

Besides, why tweak Brahmos, instead of using its tech in entirely new missiles.

congrats to india. i can't imagine what diego garcia would look like after they are hit with one of these.

why would we hit diego garcia with this this is for the west and the north eastern borders................... not deep down south For a US base................. and thanks for trolling...............

I was not talking about trust btw Russia and India, but with world. And Russia will care, because if we do the tweaking, it will be her name involved in prolification. The bond may not break, but they will be more careful next time.

Besides, why tweak Brahmos, instead of using its tech in entirely new missiles.

I agree with Saurabh why tweak the same missile, we can instead use the know how to develop something new. I believe something on that lines is already going on.

Shaurya missile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree with Saurabh why tweak the same missile, we can instead use the know how to develop something new. I believe something on that lines is already going on.

Shaurya missile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The problem with this approach is that India has not acquire the ability to absorb joint venture technology and successfully developed more advance weapon base the the joint venture technology. As a result, the best weaponry in its arsonel remains the most advance of the joint venture hardware. If its opponent can obtain the ability of the weaponry from its joint venture partner, the opponent can learn everything about the top of the line Indian weapon.

So talk is just all hot air. Results is what counts

Much to the invincibility propoganda a missle flying at such high speed will be poorly manuverable. In irregular terrian it will have very little value as it takes time to detect an obstruction, process it and manuver the missle. The Russian have not mastered such high tech computing or semi conductors engineering to achieve such feat. At any case such weaponary remains useful in open field battles or anti aircrafts roles only.

I dont understand India keeps claiming "invincibility" and "world best" in weapon development while it continusly needs MRCA from forigners, Javelin from USA, Harpoons from USA, etc etc...They should first concentrate on building proper choppers and aircrafts.

Those members who r worried abut range...

Saurya Missile has stuff even brahmos may feel jealous...

Who knows we may even have Hypersonic Shaurya.. Too.

WE ARE BENEFITTING FROM SHARED TECHNOLOGIES.
and Logically India will develop Larger Range Missile sooner or later with Hypersonic capability...

Back
Top Bottom