What's new

India rejects Israel joint UAV development offer - report

selvan33

Reaction score
Country
India
India has rejected an Israeli proposal to jointly develop a new version of the Heron UAV

images

"Defense News" reports that India has rejected an Israeli proposal to jointly develop a new version of the Heron unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), made by Israel Aerospace Industries Ltd. (IAI) (TASE: ARSP.B1). The rejection is an unusual event in Indian-Israeli defense relations. Israeli sources estimate the potential value of the project at several hundred million dollars.
A well-informed Israeli source told "Globes" in response that marketing efforts with foreign countries take time and effort, and that the joint project would probably go ahead, despite the initial rejection. He attributed the rejection to an internal struggle among India's defense officials between those who want to stimulate domestic defense industries, and those who want to play it safe by relying on Israel's experience in UAV development.
"Israel is making a constant marketing effort in India. There is constant urgency to sell the Heron," said the source. "Naturally, there are different perspectives in India about the need for such a project. Such deals are closed overnight. IAI is prepared to invest more time and hopes for success."
"Defense News" quotes a source as saying that the rejection of the joint UAV project reflects new thinking in India's Ministry of Defense to focus on current DRDO projects instead of spending money on new ones. India has been trying for a decade to develop its own advanced UAVs to no avail.
India is one of the biggest markets for the Heron; Israel has sold India scores of the UAV, worth almost $1 billion, in several deals. The Indian Navy, Indian Army, and special forces all operate versions of the Heron. "Defense News" says that India currently operates 60 Herons and that it needs more.
"Defense News" says that IAI and India's Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) submitted the proposal to jointly develop the Heron, but that Ministry of Defense officials said that DRDO should focus on the joint Israeli-Indian mid-range surface-to-air missile (MRSAM) program, a land version of Israel's Barak naval defense missile. The magazine says that the missile problem is behind schedule and has technical problems, including the failure of a prototype in December.
According to "Defense News", the joint missile program began in 2009, and is intended for use by both India and Israel's militaries. IAI is the chief Israeli contractor. The DRDO signed the contract with Israel after an Indian tender for the purchase of a mid-range SAM that would use Indian technology failed. The Indian Air Force wants 18 MRSAM batteries at an estimated cost of $1.2 billion.
India rejects Israel joint UAV development offer - report - Globes

Similar Thread with same title and uploaded at same time .........................second one by RPK...................

I think this is a bit of a shame as by all acounts the Israelis are leaders in this feield and the Indian aerospace industery has a long way to go to get close to these standards. It seems that DRDO are more interested in focusing on the RUSTOM-H and other UAV/UCAV projects. I can see the logic in this to an extent, but let's see what happens.

I'd also love to know what happened to the IAI-HAL NRUAV? I had heard they were moving forward to work on a UAV version of the ALH after finding the Chetak unusable in UAV form, but no news after this.

Rejected ??? Why ??? Isn't Rustum taking ever to fly ???
That would be a one waisted opportunity. Our PSUs would have got valuable experience and product would have commonality with the existing UAVs we are operating. And off course we might have been able to speed up UCAV project.

I wish some private player grab the offer.

:omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:

I think this is a bit of a shame as by all acounts the Israelis are leaders in this feield and the Indian aerospace industery has a long way to go to get close to these standards. It seems that DRDO are more interested in focusing on the RUSTOM-H and other UAV/UCAV projects. I can see the logic in this to an extent, but let's see what happens.

I'd also love to know what happened to the IAI-HAL NRUAV? I had heard they were moving forward to work on a UAV version of the ALH after finding the Chetak unusable in UAV form, but no news after this.

Agree with u....

Israel would give the codes to Pakistan in exchange for intelligence on Iran. LOL. Israel puts itself in that situation so it's hard to trust whether they will take further actions against a country they don't like in many ways.

i dont think DRDOs offensive drones have even reached any level of maturity at all.. we can always design the sub parts of them togather ! That would be a nice thing !

we missed one hell of an opportunity..co developing a MALE drone would be a great benifit for us,especially when Israel is global leader in this front..may be due to Rustom,which would have same capability,or it might be due to corruption charges which UPA govt is trying to erase..

by the way,I found this(an article on Rustam-2)

'First Flight of UAV Rustom-2 scheduled in February 2014' - Economic Times

ADE Finalizes Rustom-2 UAV Flight, Reveals Future Drone Projects for Defence - Defence Now

that will be some mean animal.. :woot:

Since we develop drones in the same class, a new joint development here doesn't make sense, more interesting would be a joint HALE and UCAV development, but I still waiting for such an offer and hope for MoD to accept it!

IMO,this reaction by MOD is due bad experience they had with barack-8 JV (actually its not true JV)
Isreali diverted more manpower and resource to completion of iron dome and david sling neglecting development of Barack-8.Now are ships are sitting at dockyards waiting for the barack-8.

By rejecting this JV MOD is showing there displeasure.

I heard there are private INdian players who have made some startling success in this field but without any help from the Indian gov't it's hard to keep this going. Israeli assistance should be used since they are leaders in the field.

we missed one hell of an opportunity..co developing a MALE drone would be a great benifit for us,especially when Israel is global leader in this front..may be due to Rustom,which would have same capability,or it might be due to corruption charges which UPA govt is trying to erase..

by the way,I found this(an article on Rustam-2)

'First Flight of UAV Rustom-2 scheduled in February 2014' - Economic Times

ADE Finalizes Rustom-2 UAV Flight, Reveals Future Drone Projects for Defence - Defence Now

that will be some mean animal.. :woot:

or bird???

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom