What's new

India registers better-than-expected GDP growth rate of 4.8% in Sept quarter

Brahmos_2

Reaction score
Country
India
Staging a small recovery, the economy grew at an estimated 4.8 per cent in the second quarter of the fiscal, helped by "significant growth" in some sectors such as agriculture, selected infrastructure, construction, and financing and insurance.

The number is better than the 4.4 per cent in the first quarter — however, the economy continues to struggle, marking a fourth consecutive quarter of less than 5 per cent GDP growth.

Data released by the Central Statistics Office (CSO) on Friday showed that GDP growth stood at 4.6 per cent between April and September, 2013, raising doubts over the finance ministry's projection of full fiscal growth of between 5 per cent and 5.5 per cent. April-September growth for 2012 was a slightly more buoyant 5.3 per cent.

Hours before the data was released, Finance Minister P Chidambaram expressed hope that the economy would return to at least 6 per cent growth next fiscal, and touch 8 per cent by 2016-17. "I am absolutely confident that we can overcome this period of stress and return to the high growth path," he said.

C Rangarajan, chairman of the Prime Minister's Economic Advisory Council, told The Indian Express: "The data shows a quarter-on-quarter improvement in growth. I expect the economy to perform better in the third and fourth quarters with high rural demand due to the good monsoon and better exports. For 2013-14, GDP growth should touch 5 per cent."

Economic affairs secretary Arvind Mayaram said, "I am glad that it is better than the first quarter... I believe that going forward in third and fourth quarters, you would see a pick up and GDP growth in the fiscal would be upwards of 5 per cent."

Most analysts, however, predicted an overall GDP growth of under 5 per cent for the fiscal. "We expect the economy to grow at 4.9 per cent in 2013-14," Devendra Kumar Pant, chief economist at India Ratings, said. He added that there are a silver lining to the growth data on the expenditure side.

India registers better-than-expected GDP growth rate of 4.8% in Sept quarter - Indian Express

Back
Top Bottom