What's new

India pulls off big feat as indigenous combat helicopter decimates target in air

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
The indigenous Light Combat Helicopter has been designed and developed by state-run defence manufacturer HAL.

New Delhi: The indigenous Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) has successfully completed its weapon trials, firing a Mistral air-to-air missile to destroy a moving aerial target, a first for the Indian defence establishment.

During the tests, conducted earlier this month at the integrated test range at Chandipur, Odisha, test pilots from the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) and the Indian Air Force (IAF) executed a “flawless” mission and achieved a direct hit on the aerial target, destroying it completely, a HAL spokesperson said.

The Ministry of Defence has accorded approval for the procurement of an initial batch of 15 LCHs — 10 for the IAF and five for the Indian Army — for about Rs 2,700 core.

Great heights
HAL chairman and managing director R. Madhavan said the tests marked the first time an Indian helicopter had carried out air-to-air missile engagement.

“None of the helicopters with the military services in the country has demonstrated such a capability,” he added.

“With this, the LCH has successfully completed all weapon integration tests and is ready for operational induction,” he said.

Other weapons on the LCH include a 20mm turret gun and 70mm rockets, the firing trials of which were completed last year.

The LCH is the only attack helicopter in the world capable of operating at altitudes as high as the Siachen glacier’s, which extends to over 6,500 metres.

It has been designed and developed by Rotary Wing Research & Design Centre of HAL, the state-run defence and aerospace company.

Also read: ‘Romeo’ is just the first of hundreds of helicopters Indian military desperately needs

No target safe
As the LCH is equipped with a helmet-mounted sight, and a forward-looking infrared sighting system, pilots will be able to detect and destroy any target on the ground or in the air.

Using these, pilots can also launch a missile onto any target without having to turn the helicopter.

The fire-and-forget Mistral missile (fire-and-forget means a missile doesn’t need guidance after launch) is effective against all types of aerial threats, including unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and microlight aircraft.

Capable of operating from dispersed locations and flying at ultra low levels, the LCH can provide a protective umbrella from all aerial threats.

https://theprint.in/security/india-...at-helicopter-decimates-target-in-air/179132/

Is it tested at Si
The indigenous Light Combat Helicopter has been designed and developed by state-run defence manufacturer HAL.

New Delhi: The indigenous Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) has successfully completed its weapon trials, firing a Mistral air-to-air missile to destroy a moving aerial target, a first for the Indian defence establishment.

During the tests, conducted earlier this month at the integrated test range at Chandipur, Odisha, test pilots from the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) and the Indian Air Force (IAF) executed a “flawless” mission and achieved a direct hit on the aerial target, destroying it completely, a HAL spokesperson said.

The Ministry of Defence has accorded approval for the procurement of an initial batch of 15 LCHs — 10 for the IAF and five for the Indian Army — for about Rs 2,700 core.

Great heights
HAL chairman and managing director R. Madhavan said the tests marked the first time an Indian helicopter had carried out air-to-air missile engagement.

“None of the helicopters with the military services in the country has demonstrated such a capability,” he added.

“With this, the LCH has successfully completed all weapon integration tests and is ready for operational induction,” he said.

Other weapons on the LCH include a 20mm turret gun and 70mm rockets, the firing trials of which were completed last year.

The LCH is the only attack helicopter in the world capable of operating at altitudes as high as the Siachen glacier’s, which extends to over 6,500 metres.

It has been designed and developed by Rotary Wing Research & Design Centre of HAL, the state-run defence and aerospace company.

Also read: ‘Romeo’ is just the first of hundreds of helicopters Indian military desperately needs

No target safe
As the LCH is equipped with a helmet-mounted sight, and a forward-looking infrared sighting system, pilots will be able to detect and destroy any target on the ground or in the air.

Using these, pilots can also launch a missile onto any target without having to turn the helicopter.

The fire-and-forget Mistral missile (fire-and-forget means a missile doesn’t need guidance after launch) is effective against all types of aerial threats, including unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and microlight aircraft.

Capable of operating from dispersed locations and flying at ultra low levels, the LCH can provide a protective umbrella from all aerial threats.

https://theprint.in/security/india-...at-helicopter-decimates-target-in-air/179132/

Is it tested at Siachen?

Is it tested at Si

Is it tested at Siachen?

For what purpose ??

I believe that @CHI RULES is asking in relation to this aspect:

If I understand, he is asking, has the helicopter been tested at these heights?
Perhaps he is also asking if the weapons testing has been done at these heights.

@CHI RULES, please confirm this.

I believe that @CHI RULES is asking in relation to this aspect:

If I understand, he is asking, has the helicopter been tested at these heights?
Perhaps he is also asking if the weapons testing has been done at these heights.

@CHI RULES, please confirm this.

Oh. Ok I did read that, but didn't gave much importance. Don't think the weapons test at higher altitude is done yet. Else we would have already read hyper bold headlines already all over our media. LOL :lol:

Oh. Ok I did read that, but didn't gave much importance. Don't think the weapons test at higher altitude is done yet. Else we would have already read hyper bold headlines already all over our media. LOL :lol:
These days we learned how to hide confidential news, ISR launched yesterday night a military Sat and no info is available in public domain against that sat.

In fact, it hasn't; these were the usual Chandipur trials, and obviously the last of a series, since it has reached at least IOC.

The answer to @CHI RULES is, I think, that the basic model, the ALH, of which this is a derivative, did go through those trials in fully loaded cargo carrying conditions, and was extremely successful (meaning, it met all the benchmarks and exceeded them). I do not see any possibility of the LCH failing to do well at Siachen.

EDIT:

My mistake!

"During the trials, the helicopter and systems performed satisfactorily. LCH also has proven its capability to land and take off at Forward Landing Base in Siachen. LCH is the first attack helicopter to land in ForwardBases at Siachen."

I meant to say is it tested flight at max ceiling height, at Siachen level/conditions. Off course if and when weapons are used there shall be loss for every one.

On other side for me the most insane stand out for the time being is Siachen.

In fact, it hasn't; these were the usual Chandipur trials, and obviously the last of a series, since it has reached at least IOC.

The answer to @CHI RULES is, I think, that the basic model, the ALH, of which this is a derivative, did go through those trials in fully loaded cargo carrying conditions, and was extremely successful (meaning, it met all the benchmarks and exceeded them). I do not see any possibility of the LCH failing to do well at Siachen.

Thks for ur detailed reply.

I meant to say is it tested flight at max ceiling height, at Siachen level/conditions. Off course if and when weapons are used there shall be loss for every one.

Sorry, actually I was wrong. It has done the 'hot and high' series, and done it at Siachen. As you said, conditions at Siachen are insane.

@kinsr

Thanks for the input.

Is it tested at Si

Is it tested at Siachen?

It has been tested everywhere the IA and IAF want it to operate successfully, which includes Siachen.

It's already achieved IOC.
Initial-Operational-Clearance-IOC-LCH-and-Launch-of-Production-of-LCH-.jpg

Siachen is hell off a place for anything, that's why I asked the earlier question. I really can't understand why we keep on contesting about that sh!t. :hitwall:

yours is rational point, do listen LtGen Atta Husnein seminars available on youtube. You will be astonished to learn the importance of Siachin and how strategically it is overlooking karakoram highway and CPEC. Thus Pakis are making more noise on it.

Siachen is hell off a place for anything, that's why I asked the earlier question. I really can't understand why we keep on contesting about that sh!t. :hitwall:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom