What's new

India powers past 6,000MW mark in nuclear energy

Belgium has 7 reactors which produce for them 5913MW

India has 22 reactors which produce for them 6000MW

There is something called "efficiency" which is lacking big time in India.

No it is not efficiency issue. it is all about capacity. our ealier reactors were of 220 MW. Now we have got 1000 MW reactors for the first time. 220 MW reactors inspite of being highly efficient, do not generate huge amount of capacity as they are small.

Only using LED bulbs in selected city shall save 3 time more electricity than we produce by the way of nuclear energy so calm down boys and do not fight.

No it is not efficiency issue. it is all about capacity. our ealier reactors were of 220 MW. Now we have got 1000 MW reactors for the first time. 220 MW reactors inspite of being highly efficient, do not generate huge amount of capacity as they are small.

Only using LED bulbs in selected city shall save 3 time more electricity than we produce by the way of nuclear energy so calm down boys and do not fight.

India does not have advanced reactors which are more efficient than what India has got right now, barring few.
Match US or French operating percentage capacity with India's and what do you find?

High operating availability vs downtime.
Check India's record & numbers.
Why is France the world leader in producing electricity from its nuclear reactors more than others?
Capacity is one thing, efficiency another.
Per capita = India laggard.

India does not have advanced reactors which are more efficient than what India has got right now, barring few.
Match US or French operating percentage capacity with India's and what do you find?

High operating availability vs downtime.
Check India's record & numbers.
Why is France the world leader in producing electricity from its nuclear reactors more than others?
Capacity is one thing, efficiency another.
Per capita = India laggard.

Nonsense writing.

Nonsense writing.

Dont talk to or quote him please. This goes to every Indian member.

mq1.jpg

Do not post pictures without understanding what I say. You are exposing yourself more and more.

I can see your dialogue is thinning already in the form of one liners.
You have nothing to offer here except garbage.

Welcome to my ignore club.

May i interrupt members here?
Kindly define what is being implied by word efficiency?

Are we trying to discuss thermal efficiency? or are we confusing it with Capacity/Availability factors?

Please note that thermal efficiency of any Nuclear power plant be it a 1600 MWe (EPR) or 220 MWe (IPHWR) is in narrow range of 28-32% only meaning only 28-32% of total heat generated by fission is actually converted to electricity. The rest is dumped in ultimate heat sink or condenser cooling water as low temperature enthalpy (which usually is around 70% of total input enthalpy).
As much as we try, Second law of Thermodynamics (Dealing with efficiency of thermal system) cannot be violated.
hteng2.gif

ntwo04-1107npi.jpg

The only way to increase plant cycle efficiency is by either increasing the Source temperature (incoming steam temperature to turbine) or reducing sink temperature (reducing condenser cooling water temperature).
In Nuclear power plants, input steam temperatures are usually limited to 270 deg C (corresponding to Reactor coolant temperature of 310 Deg C, limit posed by use of Zircalloys as fuel clad).
nuclear_power_2.gif

Heat Flow Diagram for a Thermal Regime Nuclear Power Plant

However fast neutron energy regime reactors operate at much higher temperature (Around 450-500 Deg C) as they use Stainless steel fuel clad and molten metals as coolants, the steam temperature is considerably high and therefore, these Fast Reactors have higher Thermodynamic efficiency (Close to 40-42%).
Sodium-Cooled_Fast_Reactor_Schemata.svg.png
Heat flow Diagram for a fast Breeder Reactor

Fig-3-PFBR-heat-transport-flow-sheet.png

Temperature and Pressure values for Indian Prototype Fast Breeder Reactor

As far as capability of a nuclear power plant (or for that matter any other plant) is usually measured by Two factors:
  1. Capacity factor (Ratio of electricity generated by a plant in a given time to the maximum possible energy that can be generated by that plant in that time). So if we have a 200 MWe plant that operates at full 200 MWe without outages in an year, it will have a CF value of 100% where as if there is a 1000 MWe plant and it runs only at 600 MWe (average) over an year, its CF will be 60%.
  2. Availability Factor (Ratio of time for which the plant was available for grid or connected with grid, generating power and Total time period). this indicates how many times plant was out of service. Example if a plant was available for 24 days in a 30 day month, its AF will be 80%
Indian NPP CF and AF have been continuously rising and these compare with best in the world.
figure3.gif
atomic001.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@waz @WAJsal
Sirs, kindly consider giving moderating rights to @PARIKRAMA @Spectre on threads like these, lest threads turn into troll fests.

@Viny

Do you actually know how efficiency is counted?
And how nuclear efficiency is measured?

Instead of bringing in matter which requires nuclear physics lessons, you are better off asking your GOI, why it (India) is lagging behind smaller nations a la Bulgaria & Slovenia drastically.

yCFauCI.jpg

Net Total Capacity (2015)
Bulgaria = 1926
Slovakia = 1814

Sum total = 1926+1814
= 3740 MWe

Where as India has 5780MWe net total capacity.

If only education was not difficult for some people, analysis and understanding would have been much easier.

I can see your dialogue is thinning already in the form of one liners.
You have nothing to offer here except garbage.

Welcome to my ignore club.

Hi as an ex- employee of CEA I can explain.
India does not have Uranium reserves and created/installed reactors earlier only for experiment/Nuclear weapons ambition. Ofcourse it never went beyond that since India could not acquire uranium due to sanctions/non-signatory. There was no commercial use of investing on this as uranium based reactors as there was no uranium. instead India has invested/studied/ experimenting on Thorium based reactors and is a leading country ( Since India has one of the largest reserves).
Also Nuclear energy got traction only recently due to global warming gatherings. earlier India was happy with Coal as primary source ( due its large reserves).
If we say many developed countries are no where in thorium based reactor development/research compared to India, Its not wrong.
So no need to say India did not develop Uranium based reactor technology because it never thought it would need it period.

Regarding to PLF : Most of the times reactors were down due to non availability of fuel.

I am in two minds over wholesale adoption of nuclear power but in absence of better alternatives and under utilization of solar/wind energy due to much higher costs there is no way around it. Still GoI should continually refine and adapt it's energy strategy in tune with developments in solar/wind sector.

yCFauCI.jpg

Net Total Capacity (2015)
Bulgaria = 1926
Slovakia = 1814

Sum total = 1926+1814
= 3740 MWe

Where as India has 5780MWe net total capacity.

If only education was not difficult for some people, analysis and understanding would have been much easier.

Do you even understand what you want to achieve by blindly dishing out post after post here?

As I said earlier, India is laggard with just 4% of electricity generation vs Bulgaria & Slovenia who are doing better:

And here you prove me right with Your own provided link:

tem4656.png

Shame on you.

My post #3

temc5rf-png.330461

Last edited:
Do you even understand what you want to achieve by blindly dishing out post after post here?

As I said earlier, India is laggard with just 4% of electricity generation vs Bulgaria & Slovenia who are doing better:

And here you prove me right with our own provided link:

View attachment 330593

Shame on you.
what is the population of Slovakia ??

In current financial year, wind energy will cross 20 GW and Solar power will cross 10 GW (Installed power). Overall, good development.

yCFauCI.jpg

And here you prove me right with our own provided link:

View attachment 330593

Shame on you.

By your logic china is even behind India, Blugaria and slovakia with nuclear power share barely 3.03%.
For that matter even USA is behind because nuclear power has just 19% share even after being biggest nuclear power producer in world and i guess by that standard, japan is 4th world with just 0.5% share of nuclear power generation :(

59357450.jpg

Back
Top Bottom