Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
India, Pakistan gradually increasing, modernising their nuclear arsenals
By Ismail Sheikh
Published: June 16, 2014

Pakistan and India have steadily increased their nuclear arsenal from 60-80 and 70-90 warheads in 2010, to 110-120 and 90-110 respectively by 2014, a new report by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) said on Monday.

According to the report, both Pakistan and India have not only been developing new systems capable of delivering nuclear weapons but also expanding their capacities to produce fissile material for military purposes.

The data compiled by the SIPRI shows that at the start of 2014, the nine nuclear armed states, namely United States, Russia, United Kingdom, France, China, India, Pakistan, Israel and North Korea together possessed approximately 16 300, nuclear warheads, while the number of active/deployed nuclear weapons was around 4000.

Russia, US still lead world nuclear arsenals

While acknowledging the reduction in the number of nuclear weapons in last five years, from 22,600 in 2010 to 16,300 in 2014, the report says that the decrease is mainly due to Russia and US, who have been reducing their arsenal under the terms of the Treaty on Measures for the Further Reduction and Limitation of Strategic Offensive Arms (New START).

The report further states that despite the reduction in the number of nuclear weapons the nuclear armed states are apparently not willing to completely dismantle their nuclear arsenals, instead have been modernising their delivery systems.

It further claims that all five legally recognised nuclear weapon states—China, France, Russia, UK and USA—are either deploying new nuclear weapon delivery systems or have announced programmes to do so.

“Once again this year, the nuclear weapon-possessing states took little action to indicate a genuine willingness to work toward complete dismantlement of their nuclear arsenals. The long term modernisation programmes under way in these states suggest their views that nuclear weapons will remain deeply embedded elements of their strategic calculus,” said SIPRI Researchers Shannon Kile and Phillip Patton Schell.

The report further claims that there is an emerging consensus in the expert community that North Korea has produced a small number of nuclear weapons, as distinct from rudimentary nuclear explosive devices.

I think a treaty should be signed between all the nuclear powers to eradicate the whole nuclear arsenal.That day India and Pakistan would finally have peace!

I think a treaty should be signed between all the nuclear powers to eradicate the whole nuclear arsenal.That day India and Pakistan would finally have peace!

india started the nuclear arms race in the region, Pakistan was only forced to follow

destroy your stockpiles, Pak can respond the same way in kind

What are you talking about Nuclear weapons are only bargaining chip pakistan got against India:D:D:D:D:D So I Say In you Dreams dude

But we should make it sure that nuclear weapons don't fall into the hands of rogue states like North Korea and some others....

What are you talking about Nuclear weapons are only bargaining chip pakistan got against India:D:D:D:D:D So I Say In you Dreams dude

No. We possess the military capability to ward off any indian attempted "onslaught"

on the self defence front we always have and always will be able to ward off the indians without the need to go nuclear. Of course we have tactical battlefield nuclear weapons but those are of low yield and probably would only act as force multipliers of sorts. Even the Americans have done so following the collapse of Warsaw Pact

I don't think so if Pakistan has an edge over India in conventional warfare.....@NKVD you are right it is just a bargaining chip to deter India from using its conventional superiority in case of a war.

india started the nuclear arms race in the region, Pakistan was only forced to follow

destroy your stockpiles, Pak can respond the same way in kind

the day pak and india destroys their stockpile, the conventional military superiority of india means pak will be a run over and no more a threat for india.

But we should make it sure that nuclear weapons don't fall into the hands of rogue states like North Korea and some others....

Pyongyang possesses a few weapons already unfortunately.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent. I remembered the line from (Hindu scripture): "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." I suppose we all thought that, one way or another."

- Robert Oppenheimer, "father of the atomic bomb" when being interviewed after world's first atomic bomb test.

No. We possess the military capability to ward off any indian attempted "onslaught"

on the self defence front we always have and always will be able to ward off the indians without the need to go nuclear. Of course we have tactical battlefield nuclear weapons but those are of low yield and probably would only act as force multipliers of sorts. Even the Americans have done so following the collapse of Warsaw Pact

given the lack of geographic dept of pak , i doubt pak can withstand indian onslaught for even a week. only nuke have ensured pak safety

Actually nuclear weapons have prevented a massive land war in the last 70 years. Although the saved lives are only on borrowed time, because when someone finally decides to exchange, nobody survives.

India signed the no first use. You can start by signing that first what is stopping you?

Fear of Indian military// if there's a war pak can't win so keeping the nuck only make them sleep well at night, so they won't change their policy

Back
Top Bottom