BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
India is our closest partner, no change in policy: Maldives
Published January 27, 2016
SOURCE: THE HINDU

maldives_2711787f.jpg

The present Maldivian government’s China policy does not interfere with or diminish the country’s “special relationship” with India, according to the office of President Abdullah Yameen Abdul Gayoom.

On the observations made by former president Mohamed Nasheed in London on Monday regarding his country’s “pro-China” tilt, Ibrahim Hussain Shihab, international spokesperson at the President’s office, told The Hindu over the phone from Male on Tuesday that “our President [Mr. Gayoom] has said this several times: India is our closest partner in terms of diplomatic and political relations.

“We are committed to working together with India to expand the current level of political and economic cooperation relationship to higher level.”

Pointing out that while the President was forging ahead with “a highly ambitious economic agenda that includes developmental and infrastructure undertakings where China is a partner”, Mr. Shihab said: “We would work closely with India in safeguarding the regional safety and security.” He added that his country was always appreciative of the role played by India in protecting the interests of Maldives, both domestically and internationally.

The position of the Maldivian government had been conveyed by Mr. Gayoom in his discussions with Indian leaders and officials on their visit to the Maldives, the latest being S. Jaishankar, India’s foreign secretary, Mr. Shihab added. Mr. Nasheed, who was in jail, was allowed to travel to the U.K. on medical reasons.

Earlier, the government had expressed its “profound disappointment” over what it called the denial of entry to a member of its London High Commission to attend Mr. Nasheed’s London press conference on Monday.

Nasheed is coming to Maldives with a bang. Just wait and watch. All these soft talks won't help frustrated Yameen and his family.

Nasheed is coming to Maldives with a bang. Just wait and watch. All these soft talks won't help frustrated Yameen and his family.

I hope he does; or someone else who is at least realistic about his country's situation.

Maldives over the last 20 years has become increasingly salafist and radical. Earlier it used to be a matriarchial society and having visited the country three times in the last 12 years myself, one can see the change in the people's attitudes.

Saudi-style sharia is enforced (though not dress code completely); people are cold and distant outside the resort islands barring a 1-in-10 good attitude and openly even practising one's own religion other than theirs is culpable to legal punishment!

They tread Bangladeshi workers like trash slaves and consider themselves above rest of the sub-continent in general as a people.

They are a very confused country and have been extremely cold towards us for all the wrong reasons. While they have a right to manage their internal affairs, they cannot be hostile to us after all the stuff we do for them.

I really hope that they get back to their senses.

Last edited:
I hope he does; or someone else who is at least realistic about his country's situation.

Maldives over the last 20 years has become increasingly salafist and radical. Earlier it used to be a matriarchial society and having visited the country three times in the last 12 years myself, one can see the change in the people's attitudes.
Saudi-style sharia is enforced; people are cold and distant outside the resort islands barring a 1-in-10 good attitude and openly even practising one's own religion other than theirs is culpable to legal punishment!

They tread Bangladeshi workers like trash slaves and consider themselves above rest of the sub-continent in general as a people.

They are a very confused country and have been extremely cold towards us for all the wrong reasons. While they have a right to manage their internal affairs, they cannot be hostile to us after all the stuff we do for them.

I really hope that they get back to their senses.
Yes bro. Yesterday I was talking to a Maldivian and he said they were too naive to believe in Yameen who is showing his dictatorial colours day by day( arrested their defence minister, Vice president, Nasheed etc) afterall belongs to a dictator's family. He also said that if elections held today, Nasheed will sail through easily provided he let elections happen at all( He hoped India will help Maldives on that).

will they allow???? i don't think so he'll come back to Maldives, he's been allowed to be out of jail and permitted to go to UK for only 30 days.. many sources say he won't return but would staty in UK

Yes bro. Yesterday I was talking to a Maldivian and he said they were too naive to believe in Yameen who is showing his dictatorial colours day by day( arrested their defence minister, Vice president, Nasheed etc) afterall belongs to a dictator's family. He also said that if elections held today, Nasheed will sail through easily provided he let elections happen at all( He hoped India will help Maldives on that).

India better stay out of direct intervention and provide only moral support and political mediation.

This is funny about the smaller countries around us;

they first ask us to interfere privately and when we do, they say we are interfering and call us the bully.

Its high time New Delhi f*cks Maldives. They are nothing short of ISIS themselves.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom