What's new

India invited for Syria talks in Geneva.

Assault Rifle

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
India invited for Geneva II talks on Syria.
Dec 25, 2013 07:10
PM , By Sandeep Dikshit

India is poised once again for a more active role in Syria after having been involved in unsuccessful attempts to resolve the conflict during its two years at the United Nations Security Council as a non-permanent member.India has been informed about its invitation to the United Nations’ sponsored international conference on Syria called Geneva II. The first meeting led to the Geneva communiqué that supported a political transition in Syria without insisting on President Bashal Assad’s exit and a transition plan. India was also an observer in a Friends of Syria grouping that tried to push through a regime change agenda. Geneva II is to be held next month.Simultaneously, India is likely to join international efforts to destroy Syria’s chemical weapons stockpile. New Delhi is currently exchanging documents with the Organisation for the Protection of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) for finalising the details. India was an early supporter of the Russian proposal for keeping Syrian stockpiles of chemical weapons in safe custody while maintaining its position on opposing military intervention and moving toward a political settlement, possibly with a Geneva II conference.India has also announced a contribution of $1 million to the OPCW. The percentage of Indians in the OPCW inspection worldwide has always been high and Indian facilities, such as the one in Gwalior, are highly respected, says Bhaswati Mukherjee, India’s former Permanent Representative to OPCW.Indian experts will help destroy the stockpile as well as train other personnel participating in this mission. India is one of the founder signatories to the CWC and has fully completed destruction of its weapons in accordance with the Convention.The destruction of Syrian chemical weapon stockpiles has taken on an international hue with multi-state participation. According to reports, U.S. satellites and Chinese surveillance cameras will be tracking the movement of Russian lorries heading from Syrian storage sites to its Mediterranean port of Latakia from where Danish and Norwegian vessels will take the chemicals to a port in Italy where they will be loaded on a U.S. Navy vessel.

India invited for Geneva II talks on Syria - The Hindu: Mobile Edition

How. I mean how r they related to this issue at all.
Most likely in regards to the destruction of Chemical Weapons, India is one of the countries that completely destroyed its Chemical and Biological weapons after we achieved nuclear weapons, or it might be before that. So it might be in regards to the destruction of the weapons.

Hey there :cheers:

Good question.

When it comes to all pragmatic players, rational actors on the Syrian crisis. All countries are welcome to join.

Pakistan is already in BTW.

Most likely in regards to the destruction of Chemical Weapons, India is one of the countries that completely destroyed its Chemical and Biological weapons after we achieved nuclear weapons, or it might be before that. So it might be in regards to the destruction of the weapons.

The chemo issue is a bit behind the schedule as of right now.

India has never been a part of this chemo destruction plan AFAIK.

The funny part is that Iran is not invited :omghaha:

Thanks to USA for creating this fair world :usflag:

Don't know how we can contribute. Other than rehabilitation, reconstruction and aid after the conflict winds down. Perhaps lend support in terms of overseeing the setup of a democratic process and neutral policing till things calm down. Other than that we don't really have the quantum of influence that KSA, Iran and Turkey+Jordan have in the region.

@Cherokee

Congrats friend!

Having India participating in this will be awesome.

India was an early supporter of the Russian proposal for keeping Syrian stockpiles of chemical weapons in safe custody while maintaining its position on opposing military intervention and moving toward a political settlement, possibly with a Geneva II conference.India has also announced a contribution of $1 million to the OPCW.

So as always our will be a non military role which we are happy about . Remove chemical weapons stockpile is the first priority and then a push towards political resolution . That way less people will die .

That is indeed an advantage . One who is not related to the issue will be able to help as he will have no favorites . And the 2 priorities which i guess all parties agrees upon has been highlighted above .

Hey there :cheers:

The chemo issue is a bit behind the schedule as of right now.

India has never been a part of this chemo destruction plan AFAIK.

India has destroyed its own chemical stockpile , so that would have been taken in purview regarding making India a part of it .

Last edited:
I don't expect India to take any military action against any country. The point that I'm trying to make is that if there is a role the Indians can take in this conflict, it most certainly be positive, given the fact that its FP has always been neutral. Let me remind that India played a positive role during the 2006 War between Israel and Lebanon.

India was an early supporter of the Russian proposal for keeping Syrian stockpiles of chemical weapons in safe custody while maintaining its position on opposing military intervention and moving toward a political settlement, possibly with a Geneva II conference.India has also announced a contribution of $1 million to the OPCW.

So as always our will be a non military role which we are happy about . Remove chemical weapons stockpile is the first priority and then a push towards political resolution . That way less people will die .

That is indeed an advantage . One who is not related to the issue will be able to help as he will have no favorites . And the 2 priorities which i guess all parties agrees upon has been highlighted above .

India has destroyed its own chemical stockpile , so that would have been taken in purview regarding making India a part of it .

The Chemo-destruction tasks are set to complete. It would be great in India can help out.

Thats a good question.
Im not sure myself. Probably chemical weapons and inspectors, reconstruction efforts or ensuring village level democracy.

On the other hand - how, good Sir, is Pakistan related to this issue at all?

Last edited:

And the funny part is you supported a proposal that was made by Iran in the first place and we are not invited, moreover Iran is the biggest victim of chemical weapons used by Iraq and supported by western countries and we have never had any wmds niether chemical or nuclear

A small but far reaching clause in the chemical watchdog’s decision on Syria that urges all non-signatories of the Chemical Weapons Convention to join the treaty was actually proposed by Iran – and supported by the US – Russian FM Sergey Lavrov revealed.

Iran behind anti-WMD rider in chemical watchdog's decision on Syria - Lavrov

Thats a good question.
Im not sure myself. Probably chemical weapons and inspectors, reconstruction efforts or ensuring village level democracy.

On the other hand - how, good Sir, is Pakistan related to this issue at all?
Neither india nor pakistan from a diplomatic neutrality has anything to offer.

From a religious point of view which u will not agree with, we have alot at stake.

But as u and many others only inderstand and look at the world from point number one point of view. Then pakistan and india are not neutral at all.

Strange...I think Iran and Arab nations are most important player...Without Iran, it is like talking about Afganistan problem without taking Pakistan into account....

India has air craft carrier , time to bring him in international waters. Plus if Iran is not in this talk, then it must be will of Saudi and Qatari to bring India inn. Because India is close ally of Israel too.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom