What's new

India imported 600 tonnes of uranium from Russia, Canada last year

John Reese

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Under bilateral civil nuclear cooperation agreements, Indiaimported over 345 tonnes of uranium from Russia and 250 tonnes from Canada during 2015-16 to fuel Indian nuclear plants, parliament was told on wednesday.

In a written reply to the Lok Sabha, Minister of State for Atomic Energy Jitendra Singh said that India has earlier imported 297 metric tonnes (MT) of uranium in 2014-15 also from TVEL, the fuel company of Rosatom, Russia's state-run atomic energy corporation.

During 2014-15, 283.4 MT of uranium was imported from the state-run Kazatomprom of Kazakhstan, the minister added.

In connection with the related issue of the latest Indian bid for a Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) membership, that would allow it to trade in nuclear materials and technology, parliament was told that India's plea tabled at the NSG's Vienna meeting in May was foiled by China on the grounds that New Delhi has not signed the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).

"While no nation explicitly opposed India's membership, one country raised procedural objections ostensibly on grounds of India's non-NPT status," External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj told the Lok sabha in a written reply on Wednesday.

"The broad sentiment was to take the matter forward. Consultations on the issue of membership are ongoing within the NSG," she added.

"It is important for us to be part of the 'rule making' in the NSG rather than be in a position of 'rule taking," the minister said.

"Membership of the NSG would create a predictable environment for the large investments required for setting up nuclear power plants in India, inter alia, to meet India's Intended Nationally Determined Contribution pledge of 40 per cent of its power capacity coming from non-fossil sources by 2030," Sushma Swaraj added.

http://www.business-standard.com/ar...m-russia-canada-last-year-116072001353_1.html

rule making' in the NSG rather than be in a position of 'rule taking
for all those indians who say that they dont need full NSG msmbership............... and claiming china has bowed ..........

for all those indians who say that they dont need full NSG msmbership............... and claiming china has bowed ..........
Only Pakistani See Pride This statement

What She said True She Said India Should Be Part Of Elite Groups Who Regulates The Laws Nor one Who stand in corner And Abide them Differece Btw "Master And Slave" .MTCR is Just a Start For us Next is Australian group and Wassenaar Arrangement

For Pakistan Its Nothing Except cheerleading or Cry for K Factor In UN

For Pakistan Its Nothing Except cheerleading or Cry for K Factor In UN
cant argue with that
What She said True She Said India Should Be Part Of Elite Groups Who Regulates The Laws Nor one Who stand in corner And Abide them Differece Btw "Master And Slave"
exactly what i quoted ....... that being a part of it and getting all the benefits are two different things
however there is no pride in any of such statements for Pakistan ....... as it is more of a Sino-Indian scenario

exactly what i quoted ....... that being a part of it and getting all the benefits are two different things
however there is no pride in any of such statements for Pakistan ....... as it is more of a Sino-Indian scenario
Please Quote One benefit What India Get after Becoming NSG Member Except it had to Sigh NPT It more of Political Posturing Seat than Rational one

Group Which Consists of Non relevant nuclear Powers Like Brazil ,New Zealand,Sweden

India is Happy With Wavier only,We have other More Elite groups Are on india's List Where Need less compulsion Not required Like Australian group and Wassenaar arrangement After MTCR

PS: Don't Deviate from thread Content

600 tons? Thats hugh. But then I believe we need all those and even more considering more and more reactors are getting operational in India these days.

How much Uranium India needs annually??
Hard to tell but It must be in few thousand tons annually.

India is Happy With Wavier only,We have other More Elite groups Are on india's List Where Need less compulsion Not required Like Australian group and Wassenaar arrangement After MTCR
I dont know what india wants or is happy with all i know is that being a part of NSg and getting a wavier are two other things and as many indians said that getting a wavier is a blow to china and all that crap ............. india can only abide by nsg but can play no part in it while china can do both

Don't Deviate from thread Content
i quoted a statement from within the thread you posted .......... how is that deviating it ?

I dont know what india wants or is happy with all i know is that being a part of NSg and getting a wavier are two other things and as many indians said that getting a wavier is a blow to china and all that crap ............. india can only abide by nsg but can play no part in it while china can do both
Same In Case Of China In MTCR
Vice versa
US Made Sure that Tables Turns both ways

quoted a statement from within the thread you posted .......... how is that deviating it ?
You Subject was nothing To do with Topic of thread

Same In Case Of China In MTCR
first chinese said they had no interest in MTCR when they could have easily gain access to it and now when India has joined they are suddenly interested ........ Tag a chinese member perheps they can enlighten us
You Subject was nothing To do with Topic of thread
its about india importing Uranium ..... does it not include this topic???

first chinese said they had no interest in MTCR when they could have easily gain access to it and now when India has joined they are suddenly interested ........ Tag a chinese member perheps they can enlighten us

its about india importing Uranium ..... does it not include this topic???
Its not about chinese members showing interest in MTCR. The fact remains that they applied for a membership in 2004 and they failed due to their poor missile proliferation record.

Back
Top Bottom