What's new

India has shown interest in V-22 Osprey tilt rotor aircraft : Boeing VP

What possible use can we have for the osprey ? Last i heard, the aircraft faces a few maintenance and operational difficulties.

But then again, I'm no expert.

The advantage for special roles would be exceptional compared to any helicopter that would be available today, be it as a tactical helicopter in IAF for special forces, that has longer range, is faster and can be refuelled in air by prop or jet engined tankers.
For IN it would offer even more advantage, once as Roybot said in a AEW version that could be operated from our STOBAR carriers, but with waaaay more range, speed and altitude than the Ka31 we have now. Same goes for a tanker or ASW version, that.
For both forces they would be useful in long range SAR operations as well, for example to rescue pilots that bailed out like we saw in Libya, when a V22 rescued the pilots of an crashed F15.

However, the bird has some important disadvantages too, otherwise it would be a major export successes by now. It is so advanced, that it's unit and operational costs are way higher compared to normal helicopters, that's why it doesn't make sense to buy it for normal utility roles.
Another point is, that flying it is very difficult as well and caused several crashed. IN operates the Sea Harrier with a similar take off concept and had many crashes for the same reasons too, so they might be sceptical about it. Also, most of the version we would need, are not developed yet and we might have to fund the developments.

So there are a lot of pros and cons for the V22, which makes it so difficult to sell it. If the US would offer India some kind of partnership, by funding special versions and producing them in India, with some ToT, it would be a great chance for our forces and industry.

There are a number of roles the IAF/IN could employ the V-22 and would consider, these being High altitude SAR and utility for forward bases in JK in remote posts that are sustained purely by helos. Additionally there is a requirement for a rotary-wing SOAR that exists by both IA and IAF and the CV-22 could fit the IAF's needs very well given its long range. Then there is the IN- the IN has a requirement for a naval heavy lift helo for their new LHDs/LPDs and new Marine infantry force that will operate off them. In this case the IN will have to hold off until they select the LHD/LPD they will get then look into which heavy lifters to go for but early speculation is CH-53K and MV-22 will both take part. Then there is the AEW requirement for IN, this is a grey area as the AEW variant of the V-22 is still on the drawing table so it would need the IN to show serious interest in such a variant for Boeing to sanction the full development of this bird and for this the IN needs to consider future designs of ACCs. Given that for INS Vikramditya and IAC-1 upgraded Ka-31 AEW helos have been ordered the V-22 AEW would be operated off future ACCs and then still only if they are STOBAR configured as if they are CATOBAR configured the E-2D is the definitive choice for carrier-based AWACS.

+ that the Osprey is "unsafe" is these days a myth, in combat theaters of Iraq and Afghanistan the V-22 has proved itself with a stellar record as compared to other rotary wing assets and even when one crashed in Afghanistan the safety features on board protected most of the crew from serious injury. Of course with such a radical design there are going to be teething issues but the system is maturing and getting safer every day.

I think V22 Osprey can play all roles which C130j can do + Heli capability.
this provides it distinct edge over other platform. It can act as a re-fuller,AEW platform, Special ops platform, air ambulance, disaster relief platform, gun ship,air lifter etc. You name it & it will be there. And here folks are calling it bunch of waste. Does any one knows its crash-worthiness? Consider the accidents involving this plane & compare it with other planes in same category. Compare the casualty. Every on is ignoring the simple fact that US is ready to provide this advanced plane to India just because plane originate from US.

its maintenance intensive; even the Americans have had some issues with these in the past
Because the V-22 is something that no other air forces in the world, including US, have experience with before. Think about it for a moment. The US is the first air power to deploy -- no longer in development -- a 'tiltrotor'. The concept of the tiltrotor itself is not new, but the actual deployment for long term use -- is. Just like when the F-16 with its 'fly-by-wire' flight control system came about, we had a lot of maintenance issues with it. I came into the F-16 at the tail end of the 'Kapton' wire controversy...

Falcon Wire: F-16 Rewiring Program
While in the beginning, KAPTON insulated wire was light weight and possessed great electrical and mechanical properties such as, abrasion and cut-through resistance, high temperature resistant and strength, time has proven to take a toll, making KAPTON susceptible to degradation, breakdown and ultimately, failure.
So when there is something as radical as an aircraft that have almost no mechanical devices in its flight control system back then or something radical like tilting rotors today, there bounds to be problems and issues that can be seen as exploratory for that technology.

So either live and learn or do nothing and remain ignorant and envious of those who have the courage to try. Your choice.

i saw osprey in transformers 3 :rofl:
they were shot down easily :cry:
You did two mistake here buddy.
1st- It was a movie(1st two were my best not because of movie but because of actress:kiss3:.).
2nd-Slower jets & helis only operate when air superiority has been established. So no worry for that but they have to keep an eye on ground based attacks.

The advantage for special roles would be exceptional compared to any helicopter that would be available today, be it as a tactical helicopter in IAF for special forces, that has longer range, is faster and can be refuelled in air by prop or jet engined tankers.
For IN it would offer even more advantage, once as Roybot said in a AEW version that could be operated from our STOBAR carriers, but with waaaay more range, speed and altitude than the Ka31 we have now. Same goes for a tanker or ASW version, that.
For both forces they would be useful in long range SAR operations as well, for example to rescue pilots that bailed out like we saw in Libya, when a V22 rescued the pilots of an crashed F15.

However, the bird has some important disadvantages too, otherwise it would be a major export successes by now. It is so advanced, that it's unit and operational costs are way higher compared to normal helicopters, that's why it doesn't make sense to buy it for normal utility roles.
Another point is, that flying it is very difficult as well and caused several crashed. IN operates the Sea Harrier with a similar take off concept and had many crashes for the same reasons too, so they might be sceptical about it. Also, most of the version we would need, are not developed yet and we might have to fund the developments.

So there are a lot of pros and cons for the V22, which makes it so difficult to sell it. If the US would offer India some kind of partnership, by funding special versions and producing them in India, with some ToT, it would be a great chance for our forces and industry.

Can it be stored in vikrant or vikramaditya? Looks like it is too big for it and the rotter+wings are not foldable. I doubt if other aircrafts can take off or land if this guy is in the deck.

What more can it do for navy that seaking or P8I cant do? what more can it do for army what a Mi17/26/chinook or C-130j cannot do? From the videos it looks like they cannot operate it during heavy winds(what I feel please do not kill me for this).

Can it be stored in vikrant or vikramaditya? Looks like it is too big for it and the rotter+wings are not foldable. I doubt if other aircrafts can take off or land if this guy is in the deck.
What more can it do for navy that seaking or P8I cant do? what more can it do for army what a Mi17/26/chinook or C-130j cannot do?

Think again:

Last edited by a moderator:
Then there is the IN- the IN has a requirement for a naval heavy lift helo for their new LHDs/LPDs and new Marine infantry force that will operate off them. In this case the IN will have to hold off until they select the LHD/LPD they will get then look into which heavy lifters to go for but early speculation is CH-53K and MV-22 will both take part.

Not going to happen, because it's a waste of money to use ab expensive V22 in low numbers, just for utility roles from LPDs. Either we take the same type of heli that we take for the ASW role, or we go for CH 53Ks.
Even if we go for LHDs, it is more likely that we buy more S70s or NH90s, V22s are simply too expensive for normal roles and mainly useful as a specialsed addition for certain roles.

Back
Top Bottom