What's new

India Has No Immediate Plans to Buy Predator Drones From US

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
In a sharp departure from its earlier expression of interest in buying Predator drones from the US for the Indian Navy, India's Defense Ministry has made it clear that it does not intend to buy them anytime in the near future.
NEW DELHI (Sputnik) — The Indian government has flatly refused having any plans to procure the US Predator drones.

During the parliament session on Friday, a lawmaker questioned "whether the government proposes to procure Predator Guardian UAV from USA." In a one word yet strong reply, Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar said "No."

1016586127.jpg

US AIR FORCE
India Will No Longer Require Israel's Heron or US Predator Drones
Earlier, some media outlets had reported that India's Ministry of Defense had issued a letter of request to the US in the third week of June expressing interest in procuring 22 multi-mission Predator Guardian unmanned aerial vehicles for the Indian Navy.
The reports suggested that India would procure UAVs from the US via the Foreign Military Sales route.

India plans to procure more than 5,000 UAVs in the next 10 years. Currently, India has Israeli searcher and Heron UAVs. Last month, India's Ministry of Defense floated a notification inviting response from indigenous manufacturers for procurement of Medium Altitude Long Endurance (MALE) UAVs for use by the three defense services.

Meanwhile, India's state sponsored Defense Research Development Organization (DRDO) is developing the Rustom II, a MALE UAV designed to operate up to 30,000 ft above sea level and has a range of up to 100 km. The manufacturing of the first batch of Rustom IIs is likely to be completed by February 2017.

http://sputniknews.com/military/20160812/1044208448/india-us-drone-deal.html

In a sharp departure from its earlier expression of interest in buying Predator drones from the US for the Indian Navy, India's Defense Ministry has made it clear that it does not intend to buy them anytime in the near future.
NEW DELHI (Sputnik) — The Indian government has flatly refused having any plans to procure the US Predator drones.

During the parliament session on Friday, a lawmaker questioned "whether the government proposes to procure Predator Guardian UAV from USA." In a one word yet strong reply, Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar said "No."

1016586127.jpg

US Air Force
Earlier, some media outlets had reported that India's Ministry of Defense had issued a letter of request to the US in the third week of June expressing interest in procuring 22 multi-mission Predator Guardian unmanned aerial vehicles for the Indian Navy.
The reports suggested that India would procure UAVs from the US via the Foreign Military Sales route.

India plans to procure more than 5,000 UAVs in the next 10 years. Currently, India has Israeli searcher and Heron UAVs. Last month, India's Ministry of Defense floated a notification inviting response from indigenous manufacturers for procurement of Medium Altitude Long Endurance (MALE) UAVs for use by the three defense services.

Meanwhile, India's state sponsored Defense Research Development Organization (DRDO) is developing the Rustom II, a MALE UAV designed to operate up to 30,000 ft above sea level and has a range of up to 100 km. The manufacturing of the first batch of Rustom IIs is likely to be completed by February 2017.

Hmm wise decision, first buy n make arrangements for the funds for rafales, medium role transport aircraft and tejas

Bad for india. Imported military hardware for $$$ with little brains will hit you in the long term.

Mighty navy couldn't find its own crashed plane.

Correct me if i am wrong any such replies are released by PIB and reported in Indian Media as well.

@Ankit Kumar 002 - Did you find anyplace such a PIB release, bcz i did nt..

Also anyone can give me an Indian source quoting this news other than Sputnik.

As far as i understand this kind of news should have been wildfire and all Mainstream News Channels , PTI, ANI etc would have tweeted or run similar headlines..

Correct me if i am wrong any such replies are released by PIB and reported in Indian Media as well.

@Ankit Kumar 002 - Did you find anyplace such a PIB release, bcz i did nt..

Also anyone can give me an Indian source quoting this news other than Sputnik.

As far as i understand this kind of news should have been wildfire and all Mainstream News Channels , PTI, ANI etc would have tweeted or run similar headlines..

As much as russian media is biased our and western media too are no reliable these days, as paid out news are being made both sides. so only govt versions given in parliament cam be credible

As much as russian media is biased our and western media too are no reliable these days, as paid out news are being made both sides. so only govt versions given in parliament cam be credible
True thats why i am saying is there a Press Information bureau release on this quote of "No" from DM MP or any other media may be doordarshan or print media..

It would be really nice if Government version is available bcz Mr Vivek Lall has planned their office in New Delhi with such assurances from GOI only. Bcz 40 hours of endurance and tailor made sensor package for Indian Navy is as per GOI request. Off course DM MP can change such assurances and also cancel LORs sent out..

1016586127.jpg

US AIR FORCE
India Will No Longer Require Israel's Heron or US Predator Drones

It never made much sense to me that the IAF or IN were interested in the Predator especially with the Rustom-2 under development and the Heron-TP already in mass service across multiple forces.

The MQ-4C on the other hand would be worth looking at (and the IN already is).

Back
Top Bottom