What's new

India developing first civilian aircraft

Water Car Engineer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
India is developing its first civilian aircraft, which would be a 70 to 90-seater plane catering to the regional aviation market, and a feasibility study is currently on, a top scientist said today.

"We are looking at creating a Regional Transport Aircraft (RTA) which would be 70 or a 90-seater. The feasibility study is being carried out now," M R Nayak, advisor and chief scientist at the state-owned National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL) said here.

A high-powered committee headed by former Chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) G Madhavan Nair has already been set up to guide the project.

He said the aircraft would be developed through the public-private partnership (PPP) mode. Besides NAL which is the nodal agency for the project, the public sector firms participating in the project are HAL, DRDO, ISRP, BEL and ADA, while those in the private sector included HCL, QUEST, Infosys, Mahindras, L&T and Tata Group.

Nayak was speaking at a meeting of Indo-US aviation manufacturers, where Boeing India, president, Dinesh Keskar said the growing aviation market in the country had greatly enhanced the opportunities for businesses of both countries to collaborate in such projects.

Keskar said India would require 1,150 civilian planes, worth $130 billion, over the next two decades, and another $30 billion worth of military aircraft, missiles and other aerospace equipment.

The regional transport aircraft (RTA) is being developed to have a range of 800 kilometres, making it conducive for travel within India due to the close proximity of Tier-I and Tier-II cities.

Reports said as many as 400 RTAs were planned to be manufactured with half of them going to the armed forces. NAL was in discussions with global engine manufacturers including Pratt & Whitney of Canada and General Electric of US, and avionics firms like Rockwell Collins and Diehl Aerospace.

Addressing the meet, Aaron Wilkins, Indian representative of US aviation regulator Federal Aviation
Administration (FAA), stressed on joint efforts to enhance quality of Indian aviation sector processes and achieve standardisation of Indian equipment.

He said as many as 21 training programmes were being offered on aviation-related technical issues in the country under the US-India Aviation Cooperation Programme.

With fast-paced developments in aviation technology, DGCA was in the process of upgrading its process of certifying the new technologies, A K Saran, Joint Director General of the DGCA, said.

India developing first civilian aircraft - India - DNA

ncahb.jpg

A range of 800km means it can't even fly from Delhi to Mumbai. What good is it then?

i can hardly to see this is going to happen within 10 years time, even Canada and Brazil who are major players in short range civil planes not be able to develop a RTA like that size`but good luck

i can hardly to see this is going to happen within 10 years time, even Canada and Brazil who are major players in short range civil planes not be able to develop a RTA like that size`but good luck

I've been a designer and I can't see a reason why it is not possible to make such a passenger aircraft in 6-7 years eswpecially when:

1. You're not going to make the engine.
2. You already have experience in making cutting edge fighter jets.
3. You don't have to reinvent the wheel.

I can't see how difficult designing such an aircraft could possibly be. The only problem could come while looking for vendors for manufacturing the aircraft but even then I feel that if you have the market, the vendors will come up on their own.

^^^ If only the Indians working in Boeing or Airbus decided to take a one way flight to India with an intent to make a difference. However, with the talent pool in India bulging and technical expertise not a rare thing, I don't see why we can't get this one done. We will have hurdles to cross, hoops to jump but eventually we will get there.
:cheers:

^^^ If only the Indians working in Boeing or Airbus decided to take a one way flight to India with an intent to make a difference. However, with the talent pool in India bulging and technical expertise not a rare thing, I don't see why we can't get this one done. We will have hurdles to cross, hoops to jump but eventually we will get there.

Oh koi hurdles nahin hain yaar. There are blueprints available on the internet damn-it.

Think from a layman's point of view.

What is an aircraft other than a long hollow cylinder with two pointed ends having two swept-back hollow cantilever beams, a tail and a gyroscope?

What else is left?

Ah! Circuitry...Seriously how difficult could that possible be?

This is not rocket science!

Oh koi hurdles nahin hain yaar. There are blueprints available on the internet damn-it.

Think from a layman's point of view.

What is an aircraft other than a long hollow cylinder with two pointed ends having two swept-back hollow cantilever beams, a tail and a gyroscope?

What else is left?

Ah! Circuitry...Seriously how difficult could that possible be?

You sound like my favourite Prof in Imperial. He always said, "How hard can it be ?" Looking at the way you described, I wonder what is taking us so long.

^^^ Only challenge is that it has to be man rated. Fighter planes have ejection seats but civilian planes ... if anything goes wrong, kaput !!
But seriously, this project can be accomplished especially when we are not building the Engines. The aerodynamics and flight regime are less complicated than Fighter aircraft.

You sound like my favourite Prof in Imperial. He always said, "How hard can it be ?" Looking at the way you described, I wonder what is taking us so long.

Lemme tell you why it takes us so long to do such simple things.

We Indians are, the way we're brought up, not natural risk-takers. We think a thousand times before venturing into something new and unconventional. We always look for the shelter of 'precedence'.

We get so lost in the labyrinth of the 'if's and but's' that we forget what we had set out for in the first place.

post reported . stop trolling - you don't read the article and just come running in here with your proverbial 2 inch hard on..

Back
Top Bottom