What's new

India detains 70 Shia Muslims in Kashmir

PakistaniPacifist

Reaction score
Police forces have attacked people at Shia Muslim religious processions, arresting at least 70 in the Indian-administered Kashmir.

Thousands of Shias mourning the martyrdom of Prophet Mohammad's grandson, Imam Hossein, in Srinagar were attacked by police trying to disperse the crowds by using batons, tears gas and water cannons, the Associated Press reported.

Police have imposed a curfew in some parts of Srinagar to prevent the gatherings during the month of Muharram from turning to anti-India protests.

There have been no reports of injuries so far.

In Kashmir, the religious processions, marking the anniversary of Imam Hussein's martyrdom on the tenth day of Muharram, Ashura, have been banned since 1989.

Kashmir has been the scene of violent clashes between Indian security forces and local protesters in recent years.

Over the past three years, Kashmir has witnessed a transition from a violent struggle to peaceful demonstrations and strikes, but the police use the same tactics to deal with the protestors.

In 2010, the Kashmir Valley was rocked by a series of protests in which at least 110 people were killed. The protests were sparked when Indian forces shot a student dead in June 2010.

Kashmir lies at the heart of more than 60 years of hostility between India and Pakistan. Both countries claim the region in full but have partial control over it.

Thousands of people have been killed in Kashmir over the past 20 years.

PressTV - India detains 70 Shia Muslims in Kashmir

What a crook is the person who wrote such an article. Rather than mentioning the reason behind detention he squeezed his sweaty nicker on history of Kashmir blah blah blah. Police has been detaining Shias or Sunnis on such processions to avoid clashes between both. Riot control is the word.

Wrong section buddy.

This forum has an entire section on Kashmir issues.

Kashmir War

By the way, Indian armed forces did the same last year :angry:

Our prayers are with you Kashmiri brothers and sisters.

Why the hell is HRW sleeping now???? Indian Occupied Kashmir is facing terrorism by Indian Army & RAW thugs for last 60+years & International community seems to pay no attention, how come South Sudan became indepandant in just 2 years time???? Why Kashmir can't?? Is it due to religion??

Everyone is quiet about Kashmir.Even our attention is diverted due the issue of Afghanistan.

---------- Post added at 07:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 AM ----------

Press TV is an Iranian news channel. Hence they are highlighting the "Shia" angle. I am sure they wouldn't care as much if Sunnis are arrested. Such is the "brotherhood".

Don't lecture us about Shia Sunni in this forum.

What a crook is the person who wrote such an article. Rather than mentioning the reason behind detention he squeezed his sweaty nicker on history of Kashmir blah blah blah. Police has been detaining Shias or Sunnis on such processions to avoid clashes between both. Riot control is the word.

When does the last time Shia Sunni clash happen in kashmir?Enlighten us

---------- Post added at 07:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 AM ----------

I am talking about Press TV. Any way, what's wrong in talking about shia and sunni?

I guess there will be nothing wrong the next time we talk about Khalistan.

Police break up marchers in Indian Kashmir, 24 hurt - Yahoo! News

Press TV is an Iranian news channel. Hence they are highlighting the "Shia" angle. I am sure they wouldn't care as much if Sunnis are arrested. Such is the "brotherhood".

Theres very few differences between Sunni and Shia. We all are Muslims and we have 1 Holy Quran.

I am Sunni and I have more Shia friends than Sunni friends. The founder of Pakistan was also Shia Muslim and Pakistan has the 2nd largest Shia population in the world.

So we dont need lecture from an indian about us Muslims.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

I am talking about Press TV. Any way, what's wrong in talking about shia and sunni?

From your own very hindustan times:

Trouble in Srinagar: Muharram rally stopped - Hindustan Times

The Hind Army is always imposing curfews in Kashmir, just goes to show vast majority of Kashmiris hate their skin, each and every day they resist.

Lol at Pakistani posters blaming India for intolerance.

Reality Check- If it was Pakistan it would have been 70 dead in a terror attack. Kashmiris are much better off in India and they know it too.
Surveys have confirmed it that Kashmiris would first prefer azadi and if that is not possible India over Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom