What's new

India consumes 48 per cent of the world’s whisky.

Question for Indians: Why is whisky so popular in India? Why not wine? Or beer for the casual occasions.

Whisky is a hard liquor which is fine on occasions or in small quantities.... However wine is more "civilized" (for lack of a better word) and works better for dinners and social settings.

Do you think it's because drinking in India is still viewed as a male activity and female drinking (in some quarters) frowned upon?... and such it's something hard like whisky which is popular which more masculine? Even in the west women dont really drink whisky.... Am I completely off here?
I think it's simply cause whisky was available right from the start, what with the British influence and all. And sure whisky manufacturers advertise whiskey as the uberman's drink but I don't think that convinces anybody to buy it honestly. As for wine, it never got a chance to be part of the culture like in Europe. In fact I don't know anybody who likes wine. All the guys like whiskey, gin, rum and beer and the girls exclusively like vodka for some reason..

Question for Indians: Why is whisky so popular in India? Why not wine? Or beer for the casual occasions.

Whisky is a hard liquor which is fine on occasions or in small quantities.... However wine is more "civilized" (for lack of a better word) and works better for dinners and social settings.

Do you think it's because drinking in India is still viewed as a male activity and female drinking (in some quarters) frowned upon?... and such it's something hard like whisky which is popular which more masculine? Even in the west women dont really drink whisky.... Am I completely off here?
because whisky is cheap in India(its made locally) and gets you drunk easily.. its probably cheapest by volume of alcohol( compared to beer)... many drink rum too for same reason.

Most Indians dont drink, those who do, do so to get drunk... drinking is not a social activity for most, unlike in UK for example were you go to a pub, grab a pint and socialize.
Yes, it is very much a male activity... wine is not produced in india in large enough quantity to keep price low... and too fruity for indian palate(indians like to eat while drinking, usually spicy food)
This applies to most people, but a small minority of city dwellers or upper/middle class people do drink socially.
it has less to do with masculinity... more about availability and what is considered normal... my first drink in college was whisky....

I think it's simply cause whisky was available right from the start, what with the British influence and all. And sure whisky manufacturers advertise whiskey as the uberman's drink but I don't think that convinces anybody to buy it honestly. As for wine, it never got a chance to be part of the culture like in Europe. In fact I don't know anybody who likes wine. All the guys like whiskey, gin, rum and beer and the girls exclusively like vodka for some reason..

because whisky is cheap in India(its made locally) and gets you drunk easily.. its probably cheapest by volume of alcohol( compared to beer)... many drink rum too for same reason.

Most Indians dont drink, those who do, do so to get drunk... drinking is not a social activity for most, unlike in UK for example were you go to a pub, grab a pint and socialize.
Yes, it is very much a male activity... wine is not produced in india in large enough quantity to keep price low.
This applies to most people, but a small minority of city dwellers or upper/middle class people do drink socially.
it has less to do with masculinity... more about availability and what is considered normal... my first drink in college was whisky....

Thanks... most of my Indian friends I know avoid alcohol totally... maybe because the few Indians I associate with are the "nerdy" types...

'
Coz India is a poor country. Whiskey offers highest ROI in terms of getting drunk as far as costs are concerned .

Thanks... most of my Indian friends I know avoid alcohol totally... maybe because the few Indians I associate with are the "nerdy" types...
It has more to do with cultural issues. Drinking is always looked down upon in society. Not because of Nerdy types, it's people despise one who drinks. Like livingdead already mentioned, most of them drink to get drunk. Drunk people do all sort of crap which made all of them look bad, no matter how much they drink.

To live in that country, with all that shit going around you, one must drink heavily in order to stay sane (irony)

It's well known that RAW is behind alcohol distribution cartel in Indian Punjab, objective is to weaken Sikh youth by addicting them to alcoholism.
Remember, Indian Sikh are seen as threat to the dreams of hindu imperialism, where Dalits and Sikhs will work as slaves of top 3 upper classes of hindus.

RAW has repeated same formulae in Afghanistan, where it earned $trillions by addicting Afghans to heroin.
Which whisky you had while posting this.... Seems to be a string one.... o would love to have it

The OP forgot to mention ,

Keralites drink 47.999% of this total :p:

It's well known that RAW is behind alcohol distribution cartel in Indian Punjab, objective is to weaken Sikh youth by addicting them to alcoholism.
Remember, Indian Sikh are seen as threat to the dreams of hindu imperialism, where Dalits and Sikhs will work as slaves of top 3 upper classes of hindus.

RAW has repeated same formulae in Afghanistan, where it earned $trillions by addicting Afghans to heroin.
sasta nasha Kiya h Kya??[emoji23][emoji23]

Yes, it is very much a male activity... wine is not produced in india in large enough quantity to keep price low... and too fruity for indian palate(indians like to eat while drinking, usually spicy food)

You mean eat dinner etc or like snacks?

Drinking and eating curries don't sound like fun.

Which one? Branded ya apni Desi Malta(Orange).
Found McDowell bottle not long ago in a village in Lahore...

Which one? Branded ya apni Desi Malta(Orange).
Here in Karachi it's the easiest... Unlike the rest of the country..
Hooked on bootleggers,hotels etc.
Here we have licensed liquor shops selling local products like breweries like Indus,murree etc...

Back
Top Bottom