What's new

India claims to be the ancient birthplace of scientific inquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruag

Reaction score
For centuries, Ancient Greece has enjoyed the kudos of being regarded as the birthplace of science. Now India is hoping to trump the homeland of Archimedes — in part by laying claim to the world’s first nose job.

Generations of Indians have believed that Westerners such as Aristotle drove scientific advances, largely because the Indian education system was framed by Britain, according to N.R. Iyer, the director of Delhi’s National Science Centre.

“Students around the world learn only the history of Western science,” he said. “There is the widespread perception that science began in Greece. We want to correct this, and publicise advances made in India as long as 5,000 years ago.”

A new exhibition at the centre suggests that the study of atomic theory, mathematics, biology and cosmic evolution were all born in the subcontinent — when Britons were living in huts made of wattle and daub.

The exhibition, the largest of its kind in the country, is intended to foster a sense of “scientific nationalism” among the burgeoning middle classes. Highlights include the work of Sushruta, who lived around 600BC and performed “sophisticated reconstructive surgery” — probably on convicts who had their noses cut off as punishment. He may, therefore, have been the world’s first cosmetic surgeon, working about 150 years before Hippocrates — the Greek credited as “the father of medicine” — formulated his famous oath.

The centre has also been directed by the Indian Government to form a committee of experts to write papers laying claim to areas of science that arguably have their roots in India. Top of the list is likely to be mathematics and the decimal system, and specifically the concept “zero” — a word derived from the Sanskrit shunya.

The first known use of a symbol for zero appears on a stone inscription, found at Gwalior in northern India, dating from AD876.

Indian scientists have welcomed the proposals, but fear they will also highlight how little innovation there has been in the country in the modern period. “It’s sad, but there has been no Indian Einstein or Newton,” said Dr Kankan Bhattacharyya, director of the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science.

“India was fantastically advanced in the ancient world — but in the past 1,000 years, we’ve fallen behind.”

The Delhi exhibition shows advances in smelting from AD800, breakthroughs in astronomy between AD400 and AD1000 and multiple cropping used by farmers in 2500BC.

However, the poster boy for the campaign is Sushruta — claimed as a genius — who pioneered rhinoplasty: rebuilding noses. He wrote: “The portion of the nose to be covered should be measured with a leaf. Then skin of the required size should be dissected from the living skin of the cheek, and turned back to cover the nose, keeping a small pedicle attached to the cheek.

“The physician should then stitch the two parts swiftly, keeping the skin elevated by inserting two tubes of eranda (the castor-oil plant) in the position of the nostrils.”

Sushruta also prescribed a rudimentary form of pain relief for the procedure. “Wine should be used before operation to produce insensibility,” he said.

India claims to be the ancient birthplace of scientific inquiry - Times Online

As quoted in the artice - "India was fantastically advanced in the ancient world — but in the past 1,000 years, we’ve fallen behind." And the reason why we fell behind was because of constant Muslim invasions. Too bad that civilized Indians were not able to match the barbarianism and ruthlessness of these invaders.

But we are now well into the 'Age of Aquarius' and India is all set to regain its spot as the beacon of science, peace and prosperity.

this is very bad habit of india!!!!

to live in the history and past. let it be oppression or glorification.

we have to move on and let the past go, take an example from japan. ( unlike china -they have kept their culture but moved ahead in future).

Indian past and history is very much misconcived with - people not understanding diffrence between myth . mythoology history and era !

this is very bad habit of india!!!!

to live in the history and past. let it be oppression or glorification.

we have to move on and let the past go, take an example from japan. ( unlike china -they have kept their culture but moved ahead in future).

Indian past and history is very much misconcived with - people not understanding diffrence between myth . mythoology history and era !

On the contrary, Indians themselves are not aware of the contributions of ancient Indian mathematicians and astrologers. Tell me.. how many of you have even heard of Brahmagupta and his work? Barely any.

A great civilization is only built when it realizes its true potential and for that to happen, it must be aware of and acknowledge its past achievements and failures.

But yeah... for some people, the glory of their ancestors' history is a part of some ancient "mythology". Sad that we have such people living in my country.

I would like to see the underlined sentence as giving stupid excuses for being underdeveloped.

instead of giving stupid excuses; accept the problem and try to fix it. i.e., if you look at history closely India is not the only country that had invasions. I would consider that the world wars did more damages than the invasions in ancient times. well, thats just my opinion.

On the contrary, Indians themselves are not aware of the contributions of ancient Indian mathematicians and astrologers. Tell me.. how many of you have even heard of Brahmagupta and his work? Barely any.

A great civilization is only built when it realizes its true potential and for that to happen, it must be aware of and acknowledge its past achievements and failures.

But yeah... for some people, the glory of their ancestors' history is a part of some ancient "mythology". Sad that we have such people living in my country.

oh no bro, dont worry , i am not in your country, i am just a guest here, although i love the country more than you for sure, but i am not patriotic like you. i do my bit for myself and for people.

taking lesson from past is one thing but sticking to it is another, here most people are so enriched in their culture and religious belief that they dont really differentiate between myth and mythology and history.

anyways - i hope u stick to your past and yes indian civilization was surely great but times they are changing.

get out the new one if you cant lend your hand, or they will walk over you. :cheers:

-----india is shinning not because of past where poor were opressed and relgion dominated the humanity and religion was always misconceived and abused. its shinning because of people who realised the have to walk either next to world or ahead of it. not in past. ----------

A great civilization

is what india was not, well not as great as other civilisations and thats why nobody really knows much or cares about them.

i dont mean that as a slight but thats the general observation, people value the egyptians, the russians, the chinese, the muslims, the greeks, the romans and probably even the persians above india

i also think its dangerous when indians to start harking back to thousands of years ago to reinforce their current success, this fosters hindu extremism and is at odds with india's secular and democratic present.

taking lesson from past is one thing but sticking to it is another, here most people are so enriched in their culture and religious belief that they dont really differentiate between myth and mythology and history.

We are not living in past. But we should certainly be proud of it. Indian has certainly developed in terms of science & technology in recent times. I know our progress has slowed down in the past and we need to work hard but what you are suggesting is a different thing.

-----india is shinning not because of past where poor were opressed and relgion dominated the humanity and religion was always misconceived and abused. its shinning because of people who realised the have to walk either next to world or ahead of it. not in past. ----------

India was also shining in the past. We had best educational institutes here. We were fairly advanced in science and technology. We also had nice governance system. I do not think religion has any adverse effect on the system. Whatever evil customs you are talking about, they were not suggested or linked to religion.

But I agree that we need to work hard on every field.

realist !!! stop giving me your crab mate !!

you can never compare history and culture of two diffrent civilization, because of diffrent context people culture moral ethics geography religion customs physical ability of people etc.

you will be shocked if you ever read about indian history and culture which is as abused as islam itself.

for once just travel to mohan jo daro and realise it .

--------------------------------
but here the question is to move on- there has been a great void or diffrance created by mixture of - muslim , british portugese french invaders. and also diffrent indian culture colliding to eachother.

-- now you can not cling on to past , yes you respect it gain a few lesson may be but not - depand on it for your progress.

How can one move forward if he is not aware of his past deeds?

The point is that India should not dwell in its past, but should analyze it - the accomplishments and disappointments. Only then will it be able to move forward, or in your words "shine".

We all well know India's weakness - its caste-system, its inability to defend its own land etc. And we learned for it - reservations, new focus on military etc. And now, we should also know India's positives and contributions. If some Indians want to highlight that, there is nothing wrong in it.

realist !!! stop giving me your crab mate !!

you can never compare history and culture of two diffrent civilization, because of diffrent context people culture moral ethics geography religion customs physical ability of people etc.

you will be shocked if you ever read about indian history and culture which is as abused as islam itself.

for once just travel to mohan jo daro and realise it .

i have not made any judgement, just saying india is probably third tier in the civilisational rankings, behind greeks, romans, russian, and islam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom