What's new

India, China have 'managed well' their differences over border: Dalai Lama

ksgokul

Reaction score
BEIJING: China and India have "managed well" their differences over the border issue and the presence of the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama in Dharmsala, a top Chinese official said today, ahead of President Hu Jintao's visit to New Delhi next week.

"We have managed the (both) issues well," Luo Zhaohui, Director-General of Department of Asian Affairs of the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs told a media briefing here.

"We have maintained tranquillity and stability at the border areas. We appreciate India's stand that Tibet is an inalienable part of China's territory and India does not allow Dalai Lama to use its territory for any separatist activities against China," he said.

Luo was replying to question on how the bilateral friction over borders and Dalai Lama would impact the BRICS summit in New Delhi from March 28-29 which will be attended by Hu and leaders of Brazil, Russia, India and South Afria.

Besides attending the summit, the Chinese president is also scheduled to hold talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to discuss a host of bilateral issues.

"We expect the official launch of China-India year of friendship and cooperation. There will also be some specific contents for bilateral cooperation," Luo said.

Presenting an upbeat picture of Sino-Indian ties, he referred to the March 1 visit of Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi to New Delhi when the two countries launched a new initiative to enhance maritime cooperation, specially relating to the anti-piracy operations and sharing of exploration of seas for minerals and metals.

The two countries have also launched the Working Mechanism for Consultation and Coordination on India-China Border Affairs to specifically deal with any incidents between the two militaries during patrolling along the Line of Actual Control (LoC).
India, China have 'managed well' their differences over border: Dalai Lama - The Times of India

while "Director-General of Department of Asian Affairs of the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs" has understood India's stand w.r.t Tibet and Dalai Lama, i don't know why some of the Chinese members in this forum raise it as an issue.

That's because of the maturity of India. We don't encourage terrorists to go in China and kill local population. This kind of maturity is required for well managing the differences.

I strongly believe India and China should 'agree to disagree' on all their differences for the mean time and perhaps let the next generations settle the border issues.

The 2 sides, along with Russia, should form a common line to encourage a peaceful settlement on the Middle East. Otherwise the world will always be on a brink of war if US/NATO and Iran keep trading bellicose rhetoric. A peaceful Middle East certainly benefits the nations and people of this troublesome area, but it also benefits the world at large in this economic downturns.

It seems Russia and China together might not be enough to counter the warmongers, but with a neutral India joins force definitely help.

I strongly believe India and China should 'agree to disagree' on all their differences for the mean time and perhaps let the next generations settle the border issues.

The 2 sides, along with Russia, should form a common line to encourage a peaceful settlement on the Middle East. Otherwise the world will always be on a brink of war if US/NATO and Iran keep trading bellicose rhetoric. A peaceful Middle East certainly benefits the nations and people of this troublesome area, but it also benefits the world at large in this economic downturns.

It seems Russia and China together might not be enough to counter the warmongers, but with a neutral India joins force definitely help.

What a nice thought, there's no force or group in the world that could face that. Together we could enforce anything on the world. And for the border issue, the status quo is ideal and should be accepted by both sides.

I don't think any kind of strategic alliance will form between India and China. Indian fear of a repeat of 1962, India's sanctuary to the spiritual leadership of Tibet, China's arming of Pakistan, and several other issues stand in the way of that.

I don't see any of those issues being resolved anytime soon either.

I agree. Maybe the two countries should encourage the communications of younger generations. I didn't see a single Indian student studying in my university when I was in China, while there were a lot of students from Japanese, Koran, europe and South asia.
Maybe tourism is also a good idea. India has a lot of nice attractions and the language problem is little. Chinese tourists like historical and cultural elements. But the information on India sight-seeing is so limited.
As countries with long history, India and China should be able to spiritually understand each other. And because of the popular engineering culture in both countries, the people,esp young generations, can usually get along.
Well, speaking of culture in common. I am drinking my 2012 1st flush Darjeeling right now.

Back
Top Bottom