What's new

India bans all wheat exports over food security risk

BHAN85

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Sat 14 May 2022 13.34 BST

India, the world’s second largest producer of wheat, has banned all exports with immediate effect after a heatwave affected the crop.

A notice in the government gazette by the directorate of foreign trade, dated Friday, said a rise in global prices for wheat was threatening the food security of India and neighbouring and vulnerable countries.

A key aim is to control rising domestic prices. Global wheat prices have increased by more than 40% since the beginning of the year.

Before the war, Ukraine and Russia accounted for a third of global wheat and barley exports. Since Russia’s 24 February invasion, Ukraine’s ports have been blocked and civilian infrastructure and grain silos destroyed.

Very smart move. They need to protect thier own people first.

Errrrr. No.

In a first, Turkey places orders for 50,000-tonne Indian wheat​

In a first, Turkey places orders for 50,000-tonne Indian wheat

Synopsis​

Wheat prices shot up as Indian wheat is in demand in the global markets after exports from Ukraine came to a grinding halt due to the Russia-Ukraine war. Ukraine produces about a fifth of the world's high grade wheat and 7% of all wheat. A large q...​

By Sutanuka Ghosal & Shambhavi Anand, ET Bureau
Last Updated: May 11, 2022, 10:37 AM IST

For the first time Turkey has placed orders for 50,000 tonnes of wheat imports from India joining Egypt. While this will benefit farmers in India, it will further push up wheat prices in the country, which have already surged by up to 15% in recent weeks.

Errrrr. No.

In a first, Turkey places orders for 50,000-tonne Indian wheat​

In a first, Turkey places orders for 50,000-tonne Indian wheat

Synopsis​

Wheat prices shot up as Indian wheat is in demand in the global markets after exports from Ukraine came to a grinding halt due to the Russia-Ukraine war. Ukraine produces about a fifth of the world's high grade wheat and 7% of all wheat. A large q...​

By Sutanuka Ghosal & Shambhavi Anand, ET Bureau
Last Updated: May 11, 2022, 10:37 AM IST

For the first time Turkey has placed orders for 50,000 tonnes of wheat imports from India joining Egypt. While this will benefit farmers in India, it will further push up wheat prices in the country, which have already surged by up to 15% in recent weeks.
That news is from 11 May.

Ban announcement is from 14 May.

That news is from 11 May.

Ban announcement is from 14 May.
I think Indians are worried now. There is going to be a 30% drop on supply, they are in no position to export.

India's agriculture export had been 50 bn USD last year. I love that. Farmers should get compensation for their hard work.

I think Indians are worried now. There is going to be a 30% drop on supply, they are in no position to export.

Nope...I think they want to jack up the profit.....Let the price rise more and then the ban will be lifted... simple business...

it's in the nature of the sub-continentals to hoard, create artificial shortages then sell at premium prices. they've not discovered ethics as yet.

They need to protect thier own people first.
yeah, right! (bihar and north easterns were eating vermin even when there was no russia-ukr war)

Last edited:
Nope...I think they want to jack up the profit.....Let the price rise more and then the ban will be lifted... simple business...
Modi and government is worried because another crisis can cause massive trouble.

Entire world should be worried right now. Wheat is going to be in short supply.
Exactly, China is actually hoarding Russian wheat now since the winter crop was not really good. India should not be exporting now.

I see. Anyhow an export ban is good for. India. India should feed Indians first.

Back
Top Bottom