What's new

India and Pakistan armies exchange sweets on Diwali

Mighty Lion

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
On the occasion of Diwali, as a confidence building measure, sweets were exchanged between #IndianArmy and #PakistanArmy at #Poonch and #Mendhar on 06 Nov 2018. Pleasantries were exchanged along with the exchange of sweets between the Armies.
DrTkGzEWsAAkgyh

What kind of sweets you make in India?
Have you guys anything like barfi, ras-gula, sohan-halwa, baklawa?

Photo%2Bof%2BIndia%2Band%2BPakistan%2BArmy%2BExchange%2BSweets%2Bto%2BCommemorate%2BPakistan%2BDay%2B2016%2B%25284%2529%25281%2529.jpg

This was the pic from last time, where indian army was heavily criticized for looking like beggars by Indian public itself on multiple forums, now they are copying Pakistan Army on this dewali.

thequint%2F2018-08%2F120ab3d3-4273-4efe-a6ab-7fdc880fb8ce%2Fb391d1c2_4a79_421a_8ab1_75ee05b66d7b.png

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of sweets you make in India?
Have you guys anything like barfi, ras-gula, sohan-halwa, baklawa?

Except for baklawa (which is Turkish), all types sweets using milk, nuts and Chocolate are made. Owing to our shared culinary heritage a there are a lot of sweets common to both India and Pakistan and these are available all around the country.
10-must-have-sweets-of-Indore-Indore-HD-1.jpg
Mithaiwala.jpg
indian-mithais-premium-quality-assorted-500x500.jpg

& while we are at it, Festive Greeting to you!

Except for baklawa (which is Turkish), all types sweets using milk, nuts and Chocolate are made. Owing to our shared culinary heritage a there are a lot of sweets common to both India and Pakistan and these are available all around the country.
wow, I see pretty similar at least in appearance. But are there any difference in taste..what kind of spices do you use?
For example, I have eaten chicken karahi, biryani and even vegetable curries made in both Pakistani style and India style... there is clear taste difference and I can tell them apart with eyes closed because there are some differences in the spices

wow, I see pretty similar at least in appearance. But are there any difference in taste..what kind of spices do you use?
For example, I have eaten chicken karahi, biryani and even vegetable curries made in both Pakistani style and India style... there is clear taste difference and I can tell them apart with eyes closed because there are some differences in the spices
Mostly the same and off course the regional produce affects the taste and composition of any dish.
I can't say much about cuisine of Mountain areas of Pakistan (@WAJsal you can tell better) but as far as plains are concerned, cuisine of Punjab on both sides is very similar.
The biggest difference one would find in sub-continent is the India's coastal region (especially our West coast famed for spices like pepper, black and green cardamom, bay leafs etc) and massive use of local sea food and coconut. Also some areas such as Goa which were ruled by Portuguese and Pondicherry (erstwhile french colony, @Vergennes they serve some great Buttery croissants rivaling any french patisserie :smitten:) which have a massive influence of past rulers and as result have a cuisine which is a great harmony of regional and foreign influence.
Indian sub-continent is historically blessed to have accepted various influences of traders, rulers and visitors who ultimately settled here like Iranian Parsi community, Chinese in Calcutta, Portuguese in Goa....
I hope we are able to preserve the great heritage so evident in our food, art and culture.
@Joe Shearer @AUSTERLITZ

Mostly the same and off course the regional produce affects the taste and composition of any dish.
I can't say much about cuisine of Mountain areas of Pakistan (@WAJsal you can tell better) but as far as plains are concerned, cuisine of Punjab on both sides is very similar.
The biggest difference one would find in sub-continent is the India's coastal region (especially our West coast famed for spices like pepper, black and green cardamom, bay leafs etc) and massive use of local sea food and coconut.
I see. so i think those will have more similar taste than the non-sweet recipes.
they serve some great Buttery croissants rivaling any french patisserie :smitten:) which have a massive influence of past rulers and as result have a cuisine which is a great harmony of regional and foreign influence.
Yeah but as India is finding its way back to its roots in hindutva so these influences will be gradually cleaned and a pure Indian culture will be evolved based on Vedic and Bhagati vision... as even Gandhi and Nehru are being replaced with Sardar Patel and Bhagat Singh (the freedom fighter who Britishers used to call a terrorist) since their ideology aligns much more with BJP and RSS.

Indian sub-continent is historically blessed to have accepted various influences of traders, rulers and visitors who ultimately settled here like Iranian Parsi community, Chinese in Calcutta, Portuguese in Goa..
:partay: I see you carefully skipped Mughals :enjoy: but foreign influences; culture, religion, foods, languages are in direct conflict with the hindutva ideology so gradually would be filtered out..
Allahbad's name has been changed to something... Let's the see when a nice hindu temple replaces the Taaj Mahal. Just a matter of time. In advance, congratulations to Modi jee for the second term ;):D:P

carefully skipped Mughals
:D i realized that too, but please understand i'm closing to 40 years of age and with my doctor constantly reminding me of weight issues, i try to steer clear of rich and delectable food that Mughal cuisine stands for.

A small thought on Hinduism. I personally don't think any religion is threat to other. Its the fanatic yahoos we need to be careful of. Hinduism is a religion that welcomes everyone into its folds and city of Varanasi is a perfect example where Hinduism nurtured over centuries, Saints like Kabirdas ji had followers and believers transcending both Hinduism and Islam and Islamic scholars too found a place called home.

so these influences will be gradually cleaned and a pure Indian culture will be evolved based on Vedic and Bhagati vision
I don't speculate but trust me No person irrespective of any religious belief has anything to worry about. Modern Indian society as i see, 20 years from now, will have extremely blurred lines of differentiation based on religion as more areas urbanize and more people start educating and working alongside each other. They will protect their identity but not by destroying other.
& i speak this as a common citizen not as a foreign media that paints a drastically different picture of India.
If one thing worries me, it is economic disparity and not religious fanaticism.
:cheers:

hindustaan ki bhut mithai khai thi jo bhi vacation jata le aata tha :p:

:D i realized that too, but please understand i'm closing to 40 years of age and with my doctor constantly reminding me of weight issues, i try to steer clear of rich and delectable food that Mughal cuisine stands for.
okaayyyy :p: btw i like ras-milai but not very often

A small thought on Hinduism. I personally don't think any religion is threat to other. Its the fanatic yahoos we need to be careful of. Hinduism is a religion that welcomes everyone into its folds and city of Varanasi is a perfect example where Hinduism nurtured over centuries, Saints like Kabirdas ji had followers and believers transcending both Hinduism and Islam and Islamic scholars too found a place called home.
Nothing against Hinduism as a religion or generally the Hindu people but RSS and BJP have a certain vision of Hinduism and that is on the rise at the moment and I do not see any let up in the near future. I'm sure Modi will win next elections as well. And despite your optimism, the ground situation is different and it will become clear after the elections but I have no doubts. And the vision of Modi is exclusiveness totally inline with RSS's ideology. So may be after another five years people may realise it is going in the wrong direction and change it as you said the education level is increasing so we may very well see a change.. but as of now, I don't think so.

Back
Top Bottom