haidian

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
China
India a religious country, but too much graft: Dalai Lama
IANS
[ Updated 04 Feb 2014, 14:27:58 ]

Shillong : India is considered a religious country, but a lot of corruption is taking place in this country, Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama rued Monday.

"This country (India) is considered a religious country, but a lot of corruption is taking place. There are many corrupt people, and I think, the corrupt people are also highly educated," the Tibetan spiritual leader said while addressing the sixth convocation ceremony of the Martin Christian Luther University here.

"They (some educated people) pray to God but the purpose of their prayer is to make their corrupt life more successful," he added amidst thunderous applause from the audience at the Soso Tham auditorium.

Meghalaya Governor K.K. Paul, Chief Minister Mukul Sangma and a host of his cabinet colleagues and bureaucrats were also present.

The Dalai Lama, on his maiden visit to this mountainous state capital of Meghalaya, was awarded an honorary doctorate by the private varsity.

He said religious harmony and "ahimsa" are relevant in today's world as religion has become an "instrument to cheat people".

"In western countries, secularism means being negative towards religion while in India it means respect of all religions, and India can promote religious harmony and 'ahimsa'," he said.

Lamenting that modern education has contributed to the degradation of human values and given rise to corruption, the Nobel Peace laureate said ancient Indian knowledge must find place in the modern Indian education system.

"Modern India is multi-cultural, multi-linguistic and multi-racial. It is like the United Nations. I feel the greatness of India. Its people are harmless, and it is an example to the rest of the world as people are living together happily," the Buddhist spiritual leader said.

Asking China to learn from India on how to live together, the Dalai Lama said: "I use to tell my Chinese friends that they should learn from India. Some Chinese hardliners see Tibet as a source of danger. But we are not seeking separation from China."

"Tibet must remain with China for economic development but the Chinese government must respect Tibet's unique language, script, culture, and ecology. These must be preserved," he said.

India a religious country, but too much graft: Dalai Lama

"Modern India is multi-cultural, multi-linguistic and multi-racial. It is like the United Nations. I feel the greatness of India. Its people are harmless, and it is an example to the rest of the world as people are living together happily," the Buddhist spiritual leader said.
:yahoo:

:yahoo:

Erm, I am not sure "like the United Nations" is a compliment.

Was the contradiction intentional from the lama? Religious yet too much graft.

No denying it corruption is running rampant in the country and steps should be taken to control and eradicate it.

No denying it corruption is running rampant in the country and steps should be taken to control and eradicate it.

You can't, it's not a coincidence that corruption is minimal in developed countries.

When I have enough cash and skills, I don't need to take anything I don't want. When you are poor and need to feed your daughter, then you will take anything the man above you dish out.

That's just the way it is.

China's tackling of corruption isn't helpful, what is, is the people's ability to say no. There are already tech businessmen that won't take no for an answer, and guess what, the government can't do anything.

A nation can only go as far as its people can carry. Rules and what not are for assistance not for the actual load carrying.

You can't, it's not a coincidence that corruption is minimal in developed countries.

When I have enough cash and skills, I don't need to take anything I don't want. When you are poor and need to feed your daughter, then you will take anything the man above you dish out.

China's tackling of corruption isn't helpful, what is, is the people's ability to say no. There are already tech businessmen that won't take no for an answer, and guess what, the government can't do anything.

A nation can only go as far as its people can carry. Rules and what not are for assistance not for the actual load carrying.

Corruption is everywhere, even in developed countries, Just look at the Health Care mess that happened when the Affordable Care Act was passed in US it was marred with corruption and miss management of funds. There are many other cases of such corruption in US. Heck there was a report in BBC just last week that said that the EU was loosing something like 120 Billion euros every year due to corruption. Heck look at the mess of Detroit, a US City that is called the motor city of the world had a mayor that was charged with corruption and miss management.

BBC News - Corruption across EU 'breathtaking' - EU Commission

its a misconception that only poor people are corrupt and once you got enough money you will be happy and content.
What stops people here from being corrupt (or doing any other crime) is it usually does not pay and you will be much worse off if caught.
Enforcement of such law for long duration creates a culture that looks down upon corruption or at least people avoid doint it. Even then UK MPs did corruption recently , and italians are notoriously corrupt.

I will give you another example. UK retailers have found they lose nearly half a billion pound in theft per year, and blaming self checkout (people are stealing fruits and vegetable). Am pretty sure most people are doing it because they can(and wont be caught easily), not because they cant afford.

In my opinion Dalai is an Indian,is nothingh to do with China,let along the tibet
A clown of political opportunist

Back
Top Bottom