SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
In photos, First Canadian Hornets air strike on ISIS in Iraq

1ebf878c9a5c589d624ae1f17976ee9e.jpg

By David Cenciotti
Royal Canadian Air Force CF-18 Hornets have conducted their first combat mission supporting Operation Inherent Resolve. And here are some interesting shots.
On Oct. 30, RCAF CF-18 Hornets took part in the first air strikes against ISIS targets in support of US-led Operation Inherent Resolve.

The images in this post were taken as the Canadian Hornets were refueled by a U.S. Air Force KC-135 Stratotankerassigned to the 340th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron, over Iraq.

ca223c960331a03b3c9b302a3c070bc9.jpg

On their first air strike the aircraft carried 3x GBU-12 LGBs (Laser Guided Bombs), 2x AIM-9M Sidewinder air-to-air missiles at the wing tip launchers, 1x AIM-120 AMRAAM (Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missile), and 2x drop tanks.

e393f963b5d233c1936ff8c418dbd655.jpg

Interestingly, the Hornets carry the drop tanks on the right hand wing and on the centerline pylon (as the U.S. Navy Hornets), so as the Sniper ATP (Advanced Targeting Pod), carried on the left hand side of the fuselage, is not obstructed.

31cbb9908b51c134fc0975e55b9e5edb.jpg

Image credit: U.S. Air Force

nice, but Canada does need a new fighter to replace the hornet these are becoming almost 30 years old now.

think new or secondhand Super Hornets,Typhoon, or Rafale is the best bet.

nice, but Canada does need a new fighter to replace the hornet these are becoming almost 30 years old now.

Considering that a lot of Canadian focus was being part of Norad and North American defence.. they need an interceptor more than anything else. Although with the recent attacks on the Canadian Parliament I think some of the nicest people on earth are about to say "By golly, Im not going to let that one go................Sorry!".

Considering that a lot of Canadian focus was being part of Norad and North American defence.. they need an interceptor more than anything else. Although with the recent attacks on the Canadian Parliament I think some of the nicest people on earth are about to say "By golly, Im not going to let that one go................Sorry!".

so Eurofighter o_O

Not so fast I know what you are doing. Canada doesn't need a military, we can use that saved revenue on police, healthcare, and lower taxes.

Not so fast I know what you are doing. Canada doesn't need a military, we can use that saved revenue on police, healthcare, and lower taxes.

doesn't need a military :what:

What the heck are you talking about not needing a military at a time when the north is being claimed by the yanks and the ruskies. Do you even know the sacrifice Canadian arm forces have made from Op Gibraltar, foundation down to peacekeeping in Yugoslavia and cyprus. Our military is also extensively involved in the peacekeeping efforts and don't underestimate the Canadian military like the yanks historically did and only to find out that we defeated them in humiliating fashion along with their burnt white house in 1812 :) hahah.

We need to increase our defense spending and after the tragedy that unfolded in ottawa, we need to further ramp up our efforts in war against terrorism. Enough with this 80s liberal approach towards our defense personnel that are currently being place in position of harm to defend our freedoms and what we stand for as a society. Also our military will be an essential asset in the near future, when our sovereignty is not recognized by the yanks on the northwestern passage so stop with the hippie talk mon ami. We elected Pm. Stephen Harper after the decade of debacle that liberal governing has done and there was a reason for it and I hope we will ever go back to that weak pacifist approach that you mentioned above.

What the heck are you talking about not needing a military at a time when the north is being claimed by the yanks and the ruskies. Do you even know the sacrifice Canadian arm forces have made from Op Gibraltar, foundation down to peacekeeping in Yugoslavia and cyprus. Our military is also extensively involved in the peacekeeping efforts and don't underestimate the Canadian military like the yanks historically did and only to find out that we defeated them in humiliating fashion along with their burnt white house in 1812 :) hahah.

We need to increase our defense spending and after the tragedy that unfolded in ottawa, we need to further ramp up our efforts in war against terrorism. Enough with this 80s liberal approach towards our defense personnel that are currently being place in position of harm to defend our freedoms and what we stand for as a society. Also our military will be an essential asset in the near future, when our sovereignty is not recognized by the yanks on the northwestern passage so stop with the hippie talk mon ami. We elected Pm. Stephen Harper after the decade of debacle that liberal governing has done and there was a reason for it and I hope we will ever go back to that weak pacifist approach that you mentioned above.

I'm not underestimating Canada's military, I am saying it is unnecessary to have one. NWPassage can be patrolled by the coast guard or a intergovernmental agency of countries in the Arctic. Also, Canada is a product of the liberal mind or else we would be a second America, so do not insult the very people who created this country.

Canadians have Air force ?? :o::o:................ For killing people??:o::o:..................Do they Know ?? :o::o:

Why were they carrying sidewinders & specially AMRAAM ????? to hunt ISIS interceptors :o::o:

Why were they carrying sidewinders & specially AMRAAM ????? to hunt ISIS interceptors :o::o:
it's just protocol to have a few a2a missiles for self defense no matter the mission or perceived enemy :cheesy:

Interestingly, the Hornets carry the drop tanks on the right hand wing and on the centerline pylon (as the U.S. Navy Hornets), so as the Sniper ATP (Advanced Targeting Pod), carried on the left hand side of the fuselage, is not obstructed.
The Hornet can handle up to 12k foot-pounds of asymmetric external stores without pilot attention. That is force, not weight. But if a Hornet is going to be so configured, the largest wing store must be closest to the fuselage. In this case, it is the external wing fuel tank. The downside is that as asymmetric force increases, maneuverable AoA decreases, meaning AoA must be lowered to prevent yaw spin.

Back
Top Bottom