What's new

IN new MBT?

Myth_buster_1

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
MOSCOW:
Encouraged by the remarkable success of their pilot co-development defence project, the Brahmos missile, India and Russia are planning to design and build a futuristic main battle tank.

Defence industry experts will discuss the new project when a delegation of the Russian Uralvagonzavod (UVZ) tank-building factory visits India this week to participate in an international seminar on the Future Main Battle Tank (FMBT) organised by the Army along with the Confederation of Indian Industry.

The two sides have already had preliminary discussions on the issue, according to UVZ Director General Nikolai Malykh.

“We put forward this idea [of a joint tank project] at the turn of the 21st century,” he told journalists in Moscow. “The Indian side has now come up with a similar proposal. We will take the first step when our experts go to India to attend a conference on the future tank and prospects for the tank-building industry.”

“The new tank will consolidate India’s edge over the Pakistani Army armed with Ukraine’s potent T-80 MBT and the Al-Khalid MBT built jointly with China and Ukraine,” Ruslan Pukhov, Director, Centre for Analysis and Technologies, said.

“Russia’s Uralvagonzavod would be the best partner for India in designing and building the new tank given a long history of its cooperation with the Heavy Vehicles Factory in Avadi in the production of T-72 and T-90S MBTs.”

India has purchased over 1,600 T-90S MBTs built by the UVZ of which 1,000 will be manufactured at the Avadi plant.

The Indo-Russian MBT is likely to incorporate the best features of prototype tanks developed at Russia’s leading tank-building plants — UVZ and Omsk Transport Machine-Building Plant — which are now being merged into a single corporation.

According to the Moscow Defence Brief magazine, the new tank will mark a great step forward in armour technology. It will feature higher speed, better firepower, sophisticated armour protection and a low silhouette. An armour-protected crew compartment will be sealed from the unmanned turret equipped with an automatic loader.

The crew will be provided with a virtual-reality command information system linked to reconnaissance aircraft and will enjoy a smoother ride thanks to a new hydro-pneumatic suspension.

The new tank is likely to have a new main gun of up to 152 mm calibre and a new hunter-killer fire control system with target acquisition in optical, thermal, infrared and radar spectrums that will be accessible both to the gunner and tank commander, the Moscow Defence Brief said.

Conclusion....
-Its history for Arjun...
-T-90 does not have a superior edge over Al-khalid so IN needs more modern tank in order to achieve superiority over AK..
-IN new MBT seems likely to be the T95, black eagle of the russians, the indians would most likely fund the project. russians will most likely rip them off and take advantage of the indians.

Good that India is giving the best to its Army. We should give the soldiers the best in technology, because they give us the best.

Arjun is a good effort, and the know-how gained in developing arjun, will be used in this FMBT to make it suitable for desert warfare.

Good that India is giving the best to its Army. We should give the soldiers the best in technology, because they give us the best.

Arjun is a good effort, and the know-how gained in developing arjun, will be used in this FMBT to make it suitable for desert warfare.

the question is.. will it be worth it.?? in terms of Tank technology in serves today even Ukrainians and Chinese are ahead in this field.. the russians will probably rip your guys off!

the question is.. will it be worth it.?? in terms of Tank technology in serves today even Ukrainians and Chinese are ahead in this field.. the russians will probably rip your guys off!

On what basis do you say that chinese tanks are better than Russian?

In effect such a development would put the proverbial nail in the coffin for the Arjun which was never particularly loved by the IA top brass anyway.

What amazes me is that the IA ever bought the T-90 design in the first place after the performance of the T-72 in GWI and II given the specifications of the two types are quite similar-for that amount the IN could have purchased a few hundred 2nd hand Leo 2s or even completely new Leopards that have performance characteristics and a reliability that put all three designs listed above to shame. But then I guess I've underestimated the lure of kickbacks yet again.

In effect such a development would put the proverbial nail in the coffin for the Arjun which was never particularly loved by the IA top brass anyway.

What amazes me is that the IA ever bought the T-90 design in the first place after the performance of the T-72 in GWI and II given the specifications of the two types are quite similar-for that amount the IN could have purchased a few hundred 2nd hand Leo 2s or even completely new Leopards that have performance characteristics and a reliability that put all three designs listed above to shame. But then I guess I've underestimated the lure of kickbacks yet again.

Well Jliu there has been much debate in this area for a while now and the GW performance of the T-72 was skewed by a few points such as the poorer than normal armour and gun (plus ammuntion) on Iraqi tanks. A better example would be the tanks performance in Chechnya. where the T-72 suffered heavy losses, The T-90 was designed to overcome these.

Also the unit price would have played a part. They are looking to replace thousands of tanks.

And frankly its unlikely they would face anything in the class of most western designs within the south Asian area.

But I guess it really did put a nail in the coffin of the Arjun.

I'm not a big fan of Russian armour produced in recent years but I eagerly await their next MBT.

I hope to see changes from the old Soviet doctrine and perhaps a more NATO outlook in their design.

It would be interesting to see if the Kanchan Armour is incorporated or not..

This joint development makes more sense, cos now we have the know how to make tanks.

The Indian terrain specific design input will from come from CVRDE.

Jliu, Leopard 2 faces the same problem as Arjun as far as IA is concerned. It is too heavy. in the loose sands of the Thar desert (where most Ind-Pak tank activities will take place if war breaks out), the Leopard 2 will be rendered immobile. This is why India has always gone for Medium tanks like T-72 and T-90.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom