What's new

In Love of Pakistan - Epic story of Capt Akash Rabbani Shaheed

Signalian

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The sudden beautiful drizzling marked with mystic fragrance brought a pleasant change in weather in the spacious ground of Frontier Force (FF) Centre Abbottabad, where the mortal remains of Captain Akash Aftab Rabbani (Shaheed) were placed for Namaz-e-Janaza. The day will be remembered for many years as everyone in the city wanted to attend the funeral of the Shaheed, which led to a massive traffic jam; the funeral turned out to be a bigger gathering. A smartly turned-out contingent presented the last salute, and the burial was performed in a local graveyard with full military honours and traditional fervour. It was my fifth day in Miranshah, North Waziristan; I was trying to acquaint myself with the new environment before the launching of Operation Zarb-e-Azb. After having brief round of the area, I entered my office, where later on I had to spend most of the time during my stay there. In the office, I saw a young, fair-looking SSG officer, who was busy with his laptop, and at the same time was getting information from another officer sitting across the table. I greeted in a loud voice and the young SSG Captain warmly returned my greetings with a smile and firm hand grip. His broad and curious eyes were looking quite attractive on his face. I sat beside him on the sofa and saw his name tag ―Rabban on his commando uniform. The other officer left the office for a while and we started informal talk.

'Rabbani is your name ?' I asked referring to his name tag on his chest. ―No sir, this is my surname; my name is Akash, replied the Captain. ―Where are you from?, I asked not knowing the reason of my curiosity and taking unusual interest in his personality. ―Sir, I am from Abbottabad, I passed out with 123 PMA Long Course,‖ he replied. We kept discussing various aspects of the upcoming operation over a military-style tea break until the other officer returned. Capt Rabbani stood up and told him about the marking of all important locations on the maps and offered his further help if needed.

As he left, a stream of thoughts took me to the probable outcomes of the operation, which also included martyrdom to anyone of those young soldiers and officers, who were determined to crush the ugly head of terrorism. Pakistan Army was all set to start the operation in North Waziristan Agency (NWA), which had been turned into the epicentre of terrorism and hub of dreaded criminals, for the last one decade or so. Capt Akash Rabbani, along with his Commando Battalion, had reached Miranshah three days before we met for the first time. This short and memorable meeting established my strong relationship with the Captain.

We would meet almost everyday as the operational activities were getting momentum. After the air strikes in various areas of North Waziristan, ground offensive was launched on 30 June to clear the area in Miranshah. Butt Marka was the last place known as the most notorious hideout of the terrorists in the city and Rabbani's Battalion was given responsibility to clear that area. It was July 8 and I reached there to embed my camera team with the troops so that live operational activity can be recorded. I saw Capt Rabbani, who was leading troops from the front. He warmly hugged me with a smile on his face after the operation was completed. In the next phase of the operation, on July 15, in Mirali, Capt Rabbani was assigned, again, a mission to clear off the area from the terrorists. Towards completion of the assigned task, he led his men from the front and in the due course of time, embraced the elevated shahadat while fighting fearlessly against the terrorists. He undoubtedly wrote a glorious chapter of Zarb-e-Azb with his blood and left a lasting impression for others to follow.

I was listening to Dr Aftab Rabbani, father of Capt Akash Rabbani, who was throwing light on various aspects of Akash‘s life in a very composed and dignified manner. Akash was born on October 20, 1990. He was very witty, sharp and intelligent right from his childhood. His elder brother, Dr Danish is doing house job at Ayub Medical College, whereas his younger sister is a student of 2nd Year in the same college. Dr Aftab told that his father was greatly inspired by Allama Iqbal. Therefore, when Akash was born, he was given this name keeping in view the depth and universality coupled with a sweet sense of romance. Following the footprints of his family, Kashi (nick name of Akash) also scored high marks in his Matriculation and F.Sc. exams; he had a chance of clinching a seat in medical college to become a doctor. But, the destiny had evolved him to bring laurels for his parents as well as for the country, in a unique way. The profession of arms turned his ultimate passion into his destiny. His performance was remarkable during the training period at the PMA.

He was commissioned on April 19, 2011 in 47 Field Artillery, which was stationed at Kharian at that time. During the basic courses, his performance remained outstanding, but his motivation took him to the Special Services Group (SSG) in order to pursue his career. He joined SSG in 2013. After carrying out successful training, he joined the 4 Commando at Tarbela. His unit was tasked to spearhead Operation Zarb-e-Azb in the North Waziristan Agency. Recalling his memories, the grandfather of Capt Akash Shaheed, Dr Aftab Rabbani, who happens to be a professor of medicines in Ayub Medical College, Abbottabad, said, ―Kashi was a loving son, a caring brother and a sincere friend. He held a large social circle of friends, that now feels his absence and shares his cherished memories.‖ Expressing his feelings Dr Aftab said, ―at the start it was very difficult for us to reconcile with the reality that Akash was no more amongst us, but soon the respect and privilege we got because of his supreme sacrifice from the people of the area, and especially from his fellows and colleagues in the Army, the great sense of pride and honour replaced the sense of his absence. We all, Akash‘s mother, and other family members feel proud of him. He has become our introduction and identity.‖ While concluding, he uttered with grief and sorrow that he felt pity for those who confuse the nation regarding our fight against terrorism, ―which obviously aims to undermine the sacrifices of the sons of soil.‖ He urged the nation to stand united and come at the back of the armed forces so that a lasting peace can be secured for a prosperous and progressive Pakistan.

By: Maj Farooq Feroze

Back
Top Bottom