What's new

In Kashmir, a football coach helps youngsters dream of life goals

anant_s

Reaction score
Country
India
In Kashmir, a football coach helps youngsters dream of life goals

59922901.jpg

Qudsia Altaf trains both the girls’ & boys’ under-14 & under-17 teams.
Highlights
  • As part of her new sports policy, CM Mehbooba Mufti has taken Qudsia as football coach for under-14 and under-17 for girls and boys.
  • Seeing Qudsia's success, the sports council has identified 200 stone pelters and decided to teach them football on local playgrounds.
SRINAGAR: Not far from the Friday rush at the Hazratbal shrine, Qudsia Altaf, 23, adjusts her bright red cap in the lush green fields of Kashmir University . With six footballs at her feet, she rattles off names as she essays the kicks.

"Haider, Ilyas, Faizan, yahan aajao beta. Thoda gap rakho. Warm up. Phir at least five times pass karo," Qudsia calls out. This has been her daily routine from 3.30 pm to 6.30pm for the past few months.

Last year, when the Valley saw clashes between security forces and mobs, Qudsia left her civil engineering dream to do her bit to help youth.

She then enrolled at the National Institute of Sports in Patiala to train herself as a football coach, a sport she has loved and played since 2007.Nursing a regret that she could never represent India despite playing at district and state levels, Qudsia now wants to take her football team to an international event.

"My dream is to see these boys represent India at international events. There's a bright chance for them to make their country proud," Qudsia told TOI.

"The boys who come to me want to do well for their state and country," she said.

She has decided to keep her academic pursuits with another bachelor's degree in interior designing, and is thrilled with her new job as a coach at J&K State Sports Council.

As part of her new sports policy, chief minister Mehbooba Mufti has taken Qudsia as football coach for the under-14 and under-17 girls and boys teams.

According to the policy, she will get paid Rs 5,000 per month to coach the youngsters.

Qudsia is part of 198 such coaches for different sports, such as athletics, hockey, volleyball, basketball, being recruited as part of an agreement between the state government and the Centre under PM's special package of Khelo India programme.

Being a girl, Qudsia knows the perils of breaking the glass ceiling. But she is ready to take on the challenges. She shrugs off comments from orthodox Muslims over hijab or her t-shirt and arm bands.

"I am a disciplined coach. I am glad that my father, who taught me mountaineering, has fully supported me. I will fulfil my responsibilities. I speak to these young footballers strictly in Urdu or English. They respect me and win rewards when they play good or win local championships," Qudsia said.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...l-with-stone-pelters/articleshow/59922820.cms

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom