What's new

In Gilgit-Baltistan, a Sunni shield for Shias

How come India ...comes into this Shia Sunni difference. I feel that in India they are pretty much in sync with each other...
Not exactly, but somehow tolerate each other. They have bigger enemy 'hindus'. :)

I wonder who are the outsiders who initiated sectrian violence in GB. To my knowledge Pashtuns are settled there in large number. If that is the case then all outsider mullahs of sunnis should be expelled from GB for sake of peace. My kashmiri colleagues have told me "k hamaray haan masjidain pathano nay abaad ki hain" mullahs there are pathans...and tablighis there are also pathans...if there is truth in words of kashmiris then i am ready to believe that pashtun mullah graduated from deobandi madrassas like dar-ul-aloom and others are spreading hate against shias majority in GB. Mullahs have great role in influencing people's mind. They infuse hate against shias on regular basis. I have started praying nimaz in mosques since when i was seven year old. And kids like me had to listen hate speeches against shias in mosques.
Similary i have observed that bareilvi/ahle-sunnat mullahs in DI khan and south punjab have even harsher stance against shias than deobandis.

I wonder who are the outsiders who initiated sectrian violence in GB. To my knowledge Pashtuns are settled there in large number. If that is the case then all outsider mullahs of sunnis should be expelled from GB for sake of peace. My kashmiri colleagues have told me "k hamaray haan masjidain pathano nay abaad ki hain" mullahs there are pathans...and tablighis there are also pathans...if there is truth in words of kashmiris then i am ready to believe that pashtun mullah graduated from deobandi madrassas like dar-ul-aloom and others are spreading hate against shias majority in GB. Mullahs have great role in influencing people's mind. They infuse hate against shias on regular basis. I have started praying nimaz in mosques since when i was seven year old. And kids like me had to listen hate speeches against shias in mosques.
Similary i have observed that bareilvi/ahle-sunnat mullahs in DI khan and south punjab have even harsher stance against shias than deobandis.

No. We can't spin it that way.

Firstly there is no sizable Pashtun population in GB. At least not beyond Chillas, which is barely inside the Gilgit district. Its the Gilgitis and Baltis living there or, more specifically, the Badeshi, Burushas, Kolai, Shina, Shumashti and Kho. The Kashmiris live far to the south-east, nicely cordoned off by the Naran and Kaghan valleys.

These disputes are more communal than sectarian. They have been going on since the Pashtun conquest of Gilgit and Baltistan in which the above stated tribes were pushed out of Swat and Chitral by the Pushtuns. The feuds and disputes you hear about are limited to southern Gilgit. This is where Kohistan (KPK) meats Gilgit. Chillas sits smack on the border and in the middle of it all with high levels of influence from the KPK (Pushtuns) just a few miles down south. The people north of Chillas have very little in common with the people of Chillas themselves (especially their demeanor). One amongst these differences is the sect and as we know it every difference in a feud becomes a flashing point.

The north isn't what the media says it is, in fact its nothing like it. They make it sound like there is fire every where up there. There are no sunnis from Chillas or shias from Gilgit running towards the other with pitch forks. These are a hand full of morons cowardly attacking a few and then running over mountain passes to hide. The overwhelming majority's behavior would surprise you. This news report pales in comparison to what other things the locals have done to maintain peace in the region.

Salut to every Pakistani who contributed towards security during Muharram.

Thank you dear Pakistanis.

Back
Top Bottom