What's new

IMF apprised of privatisation plan for PIA, PSM

The Sandman

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
WASHINGTON: An International Monetary Fund (IMF) report on Tuesday said that the government of Pakistan has given a timetable for privatisation to IMF according to which privatisation for Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) will be completed by December this year, while for Pakistan Steel Mills (PSM) by March 2016.

Meanwhile, speaking on conference call to journalists in Pakistan, IMF Mission Chief Pakistan, Harald Finger, said that the privatization of public entities in Pakistan is slow, however, the delay process exists in most countries. He added that the restructuring of railways is highly recommended.

He went on to say that distributing companies in the power sector need to be privatised, while the collection of bills needs to increase, theft should be controlled and reduction in line losses should be maintained.

Harald Finger further said that circular debt stands at 2 percent of the GDP and over three years it needs to come further down.

IMF apprised of privatisation plan for PIA, PSM - thenews.com.pk

Reforms have slowed down, due to political opposition. Quite frankly, the government is afraid.
reforms never really happened ...
opposition of whom..? PMLN had and has a single majority strong govt..even if it wants it cannot seek out scapegoats

Whom they gonna sell PIA and what would be the benefit?

WASHINGTON: An International Monetary Fund (IMF) report on Tuesday said that the government of Pakistan has given a timetable for privatisation to IMF according to which privatisation for Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) will be completed by December this year, while for Pakistan Steel Mills (PSM) by March 2016.

Meanwhile, speaking on conference call to journalists in Pakistan, IMF Mission Chief Pakistan, Harald Finger, said that the privatization of public entities in Pakistan is slow, however, the delay process exists in most countries. He added that the restructuring of railways is highly recommended.

He went on to say that distributing companies in the power sector need to be privatised, while the collection of bills needs to increase, theft should be controlled and reduction in line losses should be maintained.

Harald Finger further said that circular debt stands at 2 percent of the GDP and over three years it needs to come further down.

IMF apprised of privatisation plan for PIA, PSM - thenews.com.pk
I think with PIA & PSM, PR, NLC and PNSC should be privatized by 100%. But all the other sectors should also be privatized to 100% in 2016. As this will show a greater growth and investment in Pakistan. Helping the Sharif's to achieve their real goal of getting the Govt. in the next term too.

How much money will they earn by selling: PIA & PSM? I think this money should be given to PA, PAF and PN to buy equipments.

How much money will they earn by selling: PIA & PSM? I think this money should be given to PA, PAF and PN to buy equipments.
Isn't defence budget, supplementary aids (FMS,CSF, Chinese grants etc etc), sub budgets not enough?

I think we should spend that money by building hospitals, schools, colleges but then again our gov...:(

Last edited:
I think we should spend that money by building hospitals, schools, colleges but then again our gov...:(
No one in Pakistan is interested in it. Rather you should know Govt. of Pakistan is keen to sell off all the hospitals, schools, colleges, Universities and even Research Facilities (which we only have on smaller scale and even few of them) to private sector and even to those from they were acquired before.

Isn't defence budget, supplementary aids (FMS,CSF, Chinese grants etc etc), sub budgets not enough?
Pakistan is doing nothing at all in privatizing it's sector as now it can be sold at good money but later on it would be a worst case for Pakistan as even a company that worth $1 Billion might not going to be sold at $1 Million during bad times.

Pakistan is doing nothing at all in privatizing it's sector as now it can be sold at good money but later on it would be a worst case for Pakistan as even a company that worth $1 Billion might not going to be sold at $1 Million during bad times.
How do you expect to get good price of a business that is literally a mess?

How do you expect to get good price of a business that is literally a mess?
Still they should sell out Finance sector, transport, power and industrial sector. So, allow them to pay back dues to IMF.

Sir, if you know tell me the value of the assets which Pakistan owns at the moment?

Jo 3 saal may PIA aur Still Mill nahi chala sakay woh mulk kya chalayeengay!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom