What's new

IAF to induct armed pilotless aerial vehicles

I think so. At least in smaller numbers. For some reason the acquisition of the surveillance UAVs wasn't disclosed till Pak took out a few in quick successions. India keeps its acquisitions under the wraps vis-a-vis Israel, nowadays. It's been a while since we heard about the Arrows, and what about the Phalcon?

Compare them to high profile Indian plans of the MRCAs.

Shocking to know that you are so badly informed.Visit the India build up thread.

They are keeping the visits of the officials a secret/low profile one.

We had a 1,800 crore deal for buying Spyder quick reaction air defence missile systems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

India and Israel are to setup a joint venture to develop EW system called 'Mayawi' for India's Tejas Light Combat Aircraft and the F-35 Joint Strike Fighters

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At least 30 Indian Air Force (IAF) personnel are being trained, in Israel, how to operate the Air Early Warning and Control System (AWACS).

these are all from October 2006

If i am not mistaken Israel used UAV's againt Hezbollah in July 2006 to
gather data to strike targets. Does anyone know if the Israeli's used
UCAV's ( it is a bit of topic).

yes they did.And recently they killeda hamas military commander using an UCAV.

Predator is UCAV...i believe one of the most advanced UCAV's that are already under deployement...
thhe purpose is that Predator does the UAV stuff, takes pictures and stuff, but if it sees an imediate target, it ccan neutralise it with the Hellfire missiles that it has with it...so that makes it a UCAV. Though manouvering and stuff is a good time away. Preadtor does not engage, it simply fires a hellfire on its target, if it is told that the target must be neutralised immediately.

I see, Harpt is non recoverable, once launched does not come back...kamikaze style!
But there are no CONFIRMED reports that India has acquired Harpy's mate.All speculation by the newspapers.

they should buy neurons :D

and the F-35 JSF! :D

yes they did.And recently they killeda hamas military commander using an UCAV.

The so called rokcet maker is it in Gaza. Heard it on the news besides story about the offensive there.

Shocking to know that you are so badly informed.Visit the India build up thread.

They are keeping the visits of the officials a secret/low profile one.
Tell me here, what visits are being kept low profile? Israeli?

yeh dats true, the official's visits are kept relatively low.For the ministers they put up boards and lay carpets for them :D

Think of under-the-wraps as a synonym for low-profile. I meant the same thing too. Unless you're saying something else that I still didn't get?

What i meant is that acquisitions are still celebrated by the media,but the visits by officials are not that widely reported,but it does get reported.

Hi everyone !

When I think 'combat' I imagine a plane capeable of smart manoevering, actually fighting instead of fireing a missile only.

well ... if you consider the present day and the last aerial conflicts, you will see dogfights are very marginal now.
I can't tell you when the last fighter was shooted down with bullets, but there should be some dozen of missile hits after this one.
I mean, at this time, with the fantastic missiles capabilities, dogfight is really not in top of the list of neither manned planes than UAV/UCAV.
I think I remember the predator is armed with sidewinders, may you confirm this please ?

Control has to be instant. Ping times (delay from the time, you send a command and is received and the acknowledged message is received back) will be crucial. In games a ping of 100 (1000 ping is one second delay), makes the game less than instantaneous and people don't prefer to play till their ping is as low as 20. For UCAV dogfights, it'd probably have to be even better.

you just described the next level war :
The main flaw of UAV is ... they need to receive orders with data transmission (at this time), and need to send back informations (video, flight data etc ...)
So, if you are able to jam transmission, you could make them (at this time again) completly useless, and even make them crashing.

French (I'm a frog, so I know better my army than other armee) are quite poor at UAV, even if they work a lot at this time, on that matter, even if some prototypes are quite impressive, deployment is really poor.
But were french are quite good, is in jam.

Even Iraqi could have jammed an area at a time (edited : with russian hardware), so there was no GPS usable in this area.
I think you will remember that better than me ... I can't tell you when they did that exactly ...
As you know => no GPS is very bad when you use stand off weapons GPS guided, as americans often do

Every computorised system could be hacked or jammed, it's only a question of means and time.

So I think (personnal expectation) that the future for UAV/UCAV is complete autonomy : just sending informations from the battlefield but with a complete flight plan and mission orders, without the need of ground or air control.

The need of guidance is actually the main Achilles'heel of UAV/UCAV, and I'm pretty sure this Achilles'heel could be, and will be, exploited quite soon, if not already done.

Back
Top Bottom