What's new

IAF to induct armed pilotless aerial vehicles

Contrarian

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
http://www.zeenews.com/articles.asp?aid=333719&sid=NAT
IAF to induct armed pilotless aerial vehicles
New Delhi, Nov 05: In a major step forward, the Indian Air Force (IAF) has decided to induct Unmanned Combat Aerial Vehicles (UCAVs) for better surveillance and targeting of enemy movements.

Air Chief Marshal SP Tyagi told India Strategic magazine that the IAF had "completed" its planned induction of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) required for surveillance and will now go in for the armed variety called UCAVs.

"We do not have them yet, but in due course we need to acquire them due to the emerging symmetric and asymmetric threats," the air chief said in the interview, an advance copy of which has been made available said.

UAVs carry only cameras and sensors to detect movement of aircraft, vehicles and men.

He did not give details but said the IAF was aiming at precision delivery of weapons to minimize collateral damage on the one hand and to maximize destruction of a target on the other on all its aircraft, whether manned or unmanned. The UCAVs, armed with precision weapons, would enhance that capability.

An advantage of the UCAVs is that they can loiter around on routine patrols. Once their cameras or sensors detect an already programmed threat, or if they are directed towards a perceived threat, they can immediately engage it and neutralize it.

Whatever the type of war or hostilities, the IAF's endeavour would be to reduce the "Sensor-to-Shooter" time, and that is where the UCAV capability would play a big role, the air chief said.

An air force, he observed, is the first to engage a threat. Whether it is aircraft, sensors, missiles or UAVs/UCAs being inducted or considered by the IAF, Air Headquarters had one objective in mind: air dominance.

Tyagi also disclosed that the IAF had "completed" its induction of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) "on schedule."

"The IAF has operationalised its UAV systems" which "are being employed to carry out a variety of missions". In fact, he added, IAF has been using the UAVs for some time and "it is now in the process of integrating them with various combat platforms to help generate a common picture and to reduce the sensor-to-shooter time."

The integration of the IAF's assets, through net centricity and advanced communications, including through space, would multiply the force's punch manifold.

Tyagi said that any threat to the country was to be tackled by all the three services. Accordingly, steps were under way to share and complement one another's resources.

It may be noted that all the three services - the army, the navy and the air force - were using UAVs, which were all procured from Israel. Commonality of platforms makes them cheaper and easier to maintain.

But if trends at the recent Farnborough air show are an indicator, various firms from the US and Britain are also offering UAVs to India, particularly as their requirement is bound to grow in the coming years.

Although not cheap, a UAV or UCAV is expendable, unlike a combat jet that has to be manned by an experienced pilot.

As for space, Tyagi said that while the IAF was keen on an Aerospace Command as a natural progression of its assets, the subject was still under discussion among the three services.

"Single ownership is not cost-effective. Space assets will be Indian... We will use them, they will use them.

"We are finalizing arrangements with the army and navy for building and sharing space assets. Once the discussions are over, an (inter-service) proposal would be forwarded to the ministry of defence for implementation."

"Use of space is important," he added, pointing out that the IAF had created a space cell for the first time, and that "steps have been, and are being, implemented for net centric and space-enabled force enhancement capabilities towards real time management of battle space and integration of aerial and ground assets."

Air Vice Marshal DC Kumaria heads the Space Cell.

Tyagi said the IAF had adopted an incremental approach and was likely to recommend the setting up of an independent body called Aerospace Group, "ultimately evolving into an Aerospace Command which, I believe, should have a tri-service structure."

Notably, all the three services are looking for their own satellites, although with clear-cut integration of space assets.

Bureau Report

Are UCAV's the future?? and are the heron UAV's that India already has, good??

They probably already have them for quite sometime now from Israel.

Perhaps they are now ready to deploy them in large numbers.

India has UAV's from Israel in large numbers and they are already deployed everywhere...i mean the UCAV's...are they good? i dont know about them, does India already have UCAV's??

I think so. At least in smaller numbers. For some reason the acquisition of the surveillance UAVs wasn't disclosed till Pak took out a few in quick successions. India keeps its acquisitions under the wraps vis-a-vis Israel, nowadays. It's been a while since we heard about the Arrows, and what about the Phalcon?

Compare them to high profile Indian plans of the MRCAs.

What's the difference between a UAV and UCAV?
A UAV can be armed with missile, I believe Pakistan has the capability. Does it become a UCAV then?

When I think 'combat' I imagine a plane capeable of smart manoevering, actually fighting instead of fireing a missile only.

Can someone please explain this to me?

Thanks!

Compare them to high profile Indian plans of the MRCAs.

the MRCA's are high profile cuz the ACM decided to leak some spicy info to the media to pressurize the government. In the other cases, all the media gets to know is that this has been acquired or that has been bought, or this has been made.No particular secrecy wrt Israel.

dont know about UCAV's though...would be cool if we bought the Predator!!

A missile firing UAV technically fits the description of a UCAV.

The whole manouvering, dog-fighting UAV is still some years away. It'd just mean transmitting an ENORMOUS amounts of data over some sort of wireless network between the pilot and the UAV. Connection speeds would have to enormously evolve. Today's stuff is kind of slow for even computer games when considering large distances.

Control has to be instant. Ping times (delay from the time, you send a command and is received and the acknowledged message is received back) will be crucial. In games a ping of 100 (1000 ping is one second delay), makes the game less than instantaneous and people don't prefer to play till their ping is as low as 20. For UCAV dogfights, it'd probably have to be even better.

The predator is so old school. Every other militant keeps knocking it out.

So the Preditor qualifies as a UCAV.

Btw, I heard that UAV's can be flown and controlled from a Awacs aswell making it more effective since datalink can be shared and updated 'en route'.

A missile firing UAV technically fits the description of a UCAV.

The whole manouvering, dog-fighting UAV is still some years away. It'd just mean transmitting an ENORMOUS amounts of data over some sort of wireless network between the pilot and the UAV. Connection speeds would have to enormously evolve. Today's stuff is kind of slow for even computer games when considering large distances.

Control has to be instant. Ping times (delay from the time, you send a command and is received and the acknowledged message is received back) will be crucial. In games a ping of 100 (1000 ping is one second delay), makes the game less than instantaneous and people don't prefer to play till their ping is as low as 20. For UCAV dogfights, it'd probably have to be even better.

i see that you are a gamer (dont lie to me that ur not:lol: )

let me share a secret, i too am an avid gamer...like to play the gd old game Unreal Tournament.

I kknow all bout the pings mate...and to let you know, since i play from home where i have a 512 kbps connection (lol, its affordable, what can i say),most corporates here have connections in Mbps and Bangalore and Mumbai especially have cheap net rates.Im in New Delhi. i get a ping of around 200 in most european servers. Cant play at US sevrers cuz pings>300. And most of my friends in Europe applaud me for still playing the game...they get frustrated if the ping goes above 100.

Hopefully the internet rates here get cheaper...they are indeed getting cheaper, but the small kbps connections are going even cheaper, and not the higher end ones. you can get a 256 kbps connection for almost 190 Rs along with a landline telephone with 200 calls free!!!! So in due time, it will get cheaper, and then i can frag their a$$ :D

still i think that 256 kbps for 190 rupees is bloody cheap, and the service is amazing...internet is penetrating rellly relly deep and fast in India.Most of the people who have computers in atleast the metros have broadband connections. No1 uses dialup in any of the metros...and i think no city is left now that does not have atleast a dialup connection.their also gonna launch iptv in the metros soon. I know that even a small city like Hazaribag in Jharkhand(formerly Bihar) has dialup and was companies were contemplating setting up broadband there about a year back.Dont know how it has progressed.
I remember the days when every1 had dialup!, we used to run around waiting for hotmail to open up!

now even govt run agencies take online payment of bills..many people excercise this option...things are satisfying!

oh and i thought that Predator was like a top of the line UCAV.Neuron is still being developed...

If i am correct. UAVs main purpose is to perform reconnaissance missions, and transfer the data to a central unit about enemy's position, and that information is then transfered to the ground troops.

UCAV however totally engages immediately to remove any threat. Its basically a fighter with much better ground capability without a pilot.

Some more information below.

UCAVs versus UAVs

Aircraft without pilots are not new. In the Vietnam conflict, a thousand Lightning Bugs, remotely piloted vehicles produced by the Ryan Aeronautical Co., flew more than 3,000 reconnaissance sorties. These missions - some of them up to 1,400 nautical miles round trip - covered extremely hazardous territory. The Lightning Bugs saved the lives of countless manned-aircraft pilots and freed them for other missions.

Such unmanned reconnaissance vehicles, as well as the full-scale aerial targets (FSATs) that NAWCWPNS has been involved with since the early 1950s, are known as unmanned air vehicles, or UAVs. UAVs are already in widespread use in U.S. and foreign military services. They are also used by the private sector in roles such as crop dusting and weather research.

A critical difference exists, however, between a UAV and a UCAV. That difference is the weapons. If a reconnaissance UAV takes a photo of the wrong area, little harm is done. But if a UCAV expends its ordnance on the wrong target, the consequence can be catastrophic. Fischer says, "The fleet has made it clear to us. The possibility of blue-on-blue engagements with UCAVs must be absolutely zero."

If i am not mistaken Israel used UAV's againt Hezbollah in July 2006 to
gather data to strike targets. Does anyone know if the Israeli's used
UCAV's ( it is a bit of topic).

I'm guessing UCAVs of the future would want to be controlled by ground troops or pilots operating from a simulator like environment.

Automated UCAVs would be a bad idea for the near future.

UCAV. Unmanned combat arieal vechile. Basically a UAV with a few missiles hooked on it. You launch missiles like you would give orders to a UAV. No mounvering or cobra stuff yet. They have yet to make a actual UCAV which would be by 2008 i belive

Back
Top Bottom