What's new

IAF sees China, Pakistan as challenges, not threats

Gossipmonger

Reaction score
New Delhi, March 10 (IANS) Despite China's rapid defence modernisation and military aid to Pakistan, Indian Air Force (IAF) chief Air Chief Marshal P.V. Naik sees the two countries as challenges and not as threats so that there is no arms race in the region.

Naik told the Indian Women Press Corps during an interaction Thursday that IAF's own modernisation plans were 'capability-centric' and not country-specific.

'They (China and Pakistan) are not threats, but challenges. The Indian armed forces' mission is to safeguard our territory. If we start thinking in terms of country-specific threats, it becomes an arm race between countries,' Naik said in response to queries on his assessment of the threats posed by the two countries to India's security.

'The aim is... what are the things I need to meet my country's aspiration. We go capability-specific and not country-specific. We have a long-term integrated perspective plan, which combines the modernisation plans of all the three services. For air force, it is capability build up,' he said.

Noting that modernisation should have started a decade ago, the air force chief said this could not happen due to the country's limited resources.

'But now, the old aircrafts will be phased out. By 2014 it will be done,' he said, adding that the number of pilots too will increase in accordance with the number of new aircraft that India would buy in the near future.

New Delhi, March 10 (IANS) Despite China's rapid defence modernisation and military aid to Pakistan, Indian Air Force (IAF) chief Air Chief Marshal P.V. Naik sees the two countries as challenges and not as threats so that there is no arms race in the region.

Naik told the Indian Women Press Corps during an interaction Thursday that IAF's own modernisation plans were 'capability-centric' and not country-specific.

'They (China and Pakistan) are not threats, but challenges. The Indian armed forces' mission is to safeguard our territory. If we start thinking in terms of country-specific threats, it becomes an arm race between countries,' Naik said in response to queries on his assessment of the threats posed by the two countries to India's security.

'The aim is... what are the things I need to meet my country's aspiration. We go capability-specific and not country-specific. We have a long-term integrated perspective plan, which combines the modernisation plans of all the three services. For air force, it is capability build up,' he said.

Noting that modernisation should have started a decade ago, the air force chief said this could not happen due to the country's limited resources.

'But now, the old aircrafts will be phased out. By 2014 it will be done,' he said, adding that the number of pilots too will increase in accordance with the number of new aircraft that India would buy in the near future.

PAF is no match to IAF, both quantitatively and qualitatively.

PLAF is bigger in numeric, but qualitatively poor than IAF, but a match and possible threate to IAF.

I heard from somewhere that pakistan is seeking used F16 (1980 model) from other countries to match in number with IAF.. :tup:

PLAF is bigger in numeric, but qualitatively poor than IAF, but a match and possible threate to IAF.

I heard from somewhere that pakistan is seeking used F16 (1980 model) from other countries to match in number with IAF.. :tup:

never underestimate your opponent.

remember the wars - only 1971 was where india did something significant. or else they were almost lost front. because failed to achieve what was promised.

be ready and prepare for worst.

remember the wars - only 1971 was where india did something significant. or else they were almost lost front. because failed to achieve what was promised.

Big correction here. India never started any of the conflicts, so there were no objectives to accomplish. Nothing was promised, just plain defense and denying the enemy any advances. Promises were made by the other side and they never accomplished them.

FYI, whenever there were any military objectives supported by a strong unanimous political backing, Indian Military has never failed. Check facts.

Thats true sir, but India at present with the collaboration with Israel, France and Russian defense industries is having better defense euipments than any other country in the subcontinent. This era is different from 1970 when India has only Russia as an ally and Russian defense techs.

China is a challange and threate, but I think their euipements are just copy cat of existing foreign equipments. And they are offering these junks to pakistan at a very low price, and still making profit out of it. I dont see JF17 and J10 a challenge to India's Mig 29 and Mirage. Su 30 MKI is far superior than PAF F16.

lol, see how the woeds can change the meaning. quite some time back wen air chief marshal naik addressed china as main "threat", he got a rap on his knuckles from defence minister. ever since he has been carefull in his words. no wonder he calls each adversary as "challenge" now and not "threat".

Is it...?? And what about !961 war against Portugal at Goa where we won decisively against them and Portuguese were made to surrender ...???

First, know your history, Dude before commenting anything.

1961..... did they have anything to put against you, and goa was on your own mainland, if you haven't been successful there then you didn't deserved an armed force.

Is it...?? And what about !961 war against Portugal at Goa where we won decisively against them and Portuguese were made to surrender ...???

First, know your history, Dude before commenting anything.

example of Goa isnt appropriate here mate.

@ duhastmish - India has never lost a war inspite if being attacked...it succesfully defeated and drove back the enemy more than once..what more significant you want than this ?

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha: Welcome to the form...It will allow you to learn ALOT of things :)

Well,looking at the results of ALL previous wars (IAF VS PAF) ..IAF's edge doesn't bother me at all :cheers:

Hope IAF vs PAF never face each other ever again....It will be equally disastrous for us and you guys..

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha: Welcome to the form...It will allow you to learn ALOT of things :)

Well,looking at the results of ALL previous wars (IAF VS PAF) ..IAF's edge doesn't bother me at all :cheers:

Hope IAF vs PAF never face each other ever again....It will be equally disastrous ...

Sorry brother I accept with him,this is a misconception desperately spread by the military in Pakistan that PAF every time gained air superiority against India,I am not disputing 1965 but 1971 was exactly opposite,this things were discussed here 100 times.

Sorry brother I accept with him,this is a misconception desperately spread by the military in Pakistan that PAF every time gained air superiority against India,I am not disputing 1965 but 1971 was exactly opposite,this things were discussed here 100 times.

Nahhhhhhh....Bold part is wrong...But anyways. . .

Hope IAF vs PAF never face each other ever again....It will be equally disastrous for us and you guys..

Forget about past.... u guys read and think that you won every fight with India in past including Kargil.
IAF dont bother you at all..:woot: .. I think its the worst nightmare for u guys... thats why all the PAF fighters were hovering all over Lahore when there was a talk of a surgical strike.
Its better to acknowledge what I earlier said... PAF is no match to IAF both Q & Q at present.

http://www.dawn.com/2011/03/10/pakistan-plans-to-buy-more-f-16s.html

Boasting on chiniese junks can be fatal... world knows the quality Chinese products.

Forget about past.... u guys read and think that you won every fight with India in past including Kargil.
IAF dont bother you at all.. ha h ha:woot: .. I think its the worst nightmare for u guys... thats why all the PAF fighters were hovering all over Lahore when there was a talk of a surgical strike.
Its better to acknowledge what I earlier said... PAF is no match to IAF both Q & Q at present.

You wont last long here if you post like you currently are. Chill man. Why bring Kargil into this?
This is an international forum. Be professional, not fanboyish

IAF dont bother you at all.. ha h ha:woot: .. I think its the worst nightmare for u guys... thats why all the PAF fighters were hovering all over Lahore when there was a talk of a surgical strike.

Pakistan plans to buy more F-16s | Newspaper | DAWN.COM

Boasting on chiniese junks can be fatal... world knows the quality Chinese products.

Hey kid, CALM YOUR A$$ DOWN ! This forum is a good training center for Indians like you ..O.K !
You Genius don't even know that Kargil wasn't a PAF vs IAF clash..Now please..these things have been discussed to death before.Come out of your "Fanboy Dream" and taste the REAL world ! I have NO hesitation in accepting that IAF is stronger than PAF right now. . And then here my Indian friends get upset when we Pakistanis say that Indians are suffering from Inferiority complex.....You are yet again proving that Indians (Like yourself) ARE infact suffering from some kind of inferiority complex.Why bringing surgical strike issue here? Did your "hyper" IAF dared to do a surgical strike? LOL Now please end your trolls....PAF was doing CAP missions which was quite normal thing under the given circumstances.

And yes , PAF is using Chinese Junk..I think PAF should go for Super Indian Fighter..LCA :smitten::cheers:

Back
Top Bottom