What's new

IAF drops live bombs on own base, leads to panic

FOX80

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
1_f78f141213095113.jpg

Residents of Ambala Cantonment panicked on Friday after two explosions inside the Air Force station damaged windowpanes of several houses around the airbase. The incident took place when splinters of two-high density bombs, stated to be defused by the Air Force officials, fell into the residential area.

The splinters also caused cracks in the wall of a house adjacent to the Air Force station. However, no injury was reported in the incident. The intensity of the explosion of the bombs was so high that a piece of metal also fell in the residence of Ambala deputy commissioner (DC), which is about 1,000 yards away from the Air Force area.

Soon after the incident, the Ambala deputy commissioner of police (DCP) and commissioner of police reached the spot to take stock of the situation. While the district administration confirmed that they were not informed by the Air Force authorities before defusing the bombs, the latter refused to share any information about the incident.

Sources, however, revealed that the incident had occurred when an aircraft took off and bombs mounted on it fell down leading to high intensity explosions. Despite repeated attempts, the Air Force authorities refused to comment on the issue. However, sources confirmed that an internal inquiry has been marked by the Air Force regarding the incident.

When contacted, Ambala police commissioner Rajbir Deswal informed that they had registered a case in the matter. "Matter is being probed and action will be taken if negligence is proved on the part of the Air Force authorities", Deswal told TOI.

To see the picture of that upturned Jaguar and to read the article...LOL...cracked me up!

@FOX80 Like the way you report the good, the bad and the ugly about IAF. Keep it up buddy.:cheers:

Tch tch tch .....

Glad to hear that there were no casualties.

Accidents happen but i'm sure that there will a full inquiry so that in the future, no such thing happens again.

It's a juvenile statement @AUz. The world's best airforce had done similar blunders like this couple of times,that does not make them either unprofessional or junk.lol.
Spot on!
Does this fellow know that the USAF nearly detonated an atomic bomb over North Carolina? US Air Force came dramatically close to detonating an atom bomb over North Carolina that would have been 260 times more powerful than the device that devastated Hiroshima when two Mark 39 hydrogen bombs were accidentally dropped over Goldsboro, North Carolina on 23 January 1961 by B-52 bombers.

So the conclusion? According to the logic of @AUz, the USAF is an unprofessional junk force! :rofl: Oh yeah!

Last edited:
Spot on!
Does this fellow know that the USAF nearly detonated an atomic bomb over North Carolina? US Air Force came dramatically close to detonating an atom bomb over North Carolina that would have been 260 times more powerful than the device that devastated Hiroshima when two Mark 39 hydrogen bombs were accidentally dropped over Goldsboro, North Carolina on 23 January 1961 by B-52 bombers.

So the conclusion? According to the logic of @AUz, the USAF is an unprofessional junk force! :rofl: Oh yeah!

And they even shipped a load of Nuclear warheads thinking they were JDAMs to Taiwan and the Taiwanese were shocked and informed the US Gov. This led to some top bosses getting fired.

Spot on!

US nearly drop the nuclear bomb on North Carolina, US didn't drop a nuclear on North Carolina that a big different compare to IAF drop a live bomb on their own base.

As usual the usual suspects are there with their explosive statements and their slightly more refined but equal in mindset counterparts are there to reply as well. The poor report button has all but rusted out now.

On the topic..
Its a bomb.. it goes kaboom.. The best the IAF could have done was have sms's sent out about the occurrence taking place.
Question is, did these fall off a plane due to incorrect loading or did they go live my mistake(or whatever reason) and had to be blown up. The answer I believe will be buried in the base's log book.

As usual the usual suspects are there with their explosive statements and their slightly more refined but equal in mindset counterparts are there to reply as well. The poor report button has all but rusted out now.

On the topic..
Its a bomb.. it goes kaboom.. The best the IAF could have done was have sms's sent out about the occurrence taking place.
Question is, did these fall off a plane due to incorrect loading or did they go live my mistake(or whatever reason) and had to be blown up. The answer I believe will be buried in the base's log book.

@Oscar; my guess is that the bomb(s) in question is practice bombs. I know of another instance on a training flight (in the same region) about 1 and half decades ago, a rookie pilot jettisoned a practice bomb (in error) and missed a village.

Back
Top Bottom