What's new

IAF Chopper crashes in Arunachal Pradesh

Indian military helicopter crashes near China border, seven dead
06 Oct 2017 02:30PM

NEW DELHI: An Indian airforce helicopter crashed in a remote mountain region near the border with China on Friday, killing all seven personnel on board, officials said.

The Russian-made Mi-17 helicopter was ferrying military officials to a forward post in the northeastern state of Arunachal Pradesh, defence spokesman Suneet Newton said.

India is trying to modernise its airforce with new planes and helicopters but the procurement process has been slow.

Newton said the cause of Friday's crash was not known immediately. India has also been expanding its military infrastructure in the area to narrow the gap with China which has superior road and air links.

(Reporting by Zarir Hussain in Guwahati, Rupam Jain in New Delhi, Editing by Sanjeev Miglani and Michael Perry)

Source: Reuters
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...crashes-near-china-border--seven-dead-9286028

I remember another chopper crashed also close to China's border a short while ago. Better stay clear of the Chinese border for Indian pilots.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...ing-aircraft-crashes/articleshow/60966661.cms

1_img161017174201.jpg

The (TOI in the previous post) video gives a probability of engine failure among other factors.
This is stupid.

In the case of Helicopter's engine failure, the pilot lands the helicopter by doing an exercise called Auto-rotation:

Airflow_in_auto-2.jpg

tem3e43e4.png

I learned about this unique maneuver when I was on board the rental chopper in Miami (paid 75$ at that time for 15 minutes ride over Disneyland)

I asked the pilot curiously; "hey what happens during engine failure?"
He said no worry, we do Auto-ration mock drill every year which is completely safe.
So even in the event of engine failure, the chopper would land.

Every sunshine brings me some kind of knowledge.
And couple of dollars..

Last edited:
RIP - what is going on in the AP area...of lately bad news coming too often...

Indian flying too close to Chinese territory, one EMP blast and Indian chopper crashed

I am also curious . Guerrilla fighters job?
Apologies for being a little sceptical as usually, on matters like these, you end up talking to trolls...hopefully you are a serious poster...

On topis, well can't be possible...you must have noticed Indian defence reporting is quiet open compared to Chinese and Pakistani counterparts...so if indeed this was a attack(regardless of whom) you should have seen Indian media jumping on it like their lives rest on reporting it...Now if fighters have developed some martial weapon which can't be tracked then i can't say otherwise it is most probably wrath of nature....

Back
Top Bottom