What's new

Huge Projects of Türkiye

One of top 5 airports in the world? Lol did he ever travel from Atatürk airport? It was hopelessly overcrowded, it was running at 70 million passenger capacity while it was designed for 50 million.
Endless lines at passport controls and luggage claims, Sabiha gökcen was even worse, Istanbul needed a new airport, anyone disagreeing never used either of the old airports, simple as that.

One of top 5 airports in the world? Lol did he ever travel from Atatürk airport? It was hopelessly overcrowded, it was running at 70 million passenger capacity while it was designed for 50 million.
Endless lines at passport controls and luggage claims, Sabiha gökcen was even worse, Istanbul needed a new airport, anyone disagreeing never used either of the old airports, simple as that.
Ataturk AirPort was a shame for THY. Such a nice airline, perhaps the best in the world imo,.. And then you have a transfer flight an you arrive at the ataturk airport which was absolutely disgusting

Imo, upgrade to smart grid, pass law to enforce solar panels on all new buildings. Allow people to install solar panels and reimburse cost through produced electricity so everything goes in to the grid. Force controlling of all city planning and construction. And force salary payment through banks, no cash hand over.

Earthquakes are much more significant than producing renewable energy for Turkey. Besides all the controversial topics about the canal, Istanbul needs to be prepared for the big İstanbul earthquake.

Did you ever travel from Frankfurt Airport? Cem Toker is right, Ataturk Airport several times awarded from different international institutions. Also, previous THY Chairman Hamdi Topçu who expressed that previous idea was just modernizing the airport, the new airport construction idea was pushed by ex-minister of transportation Binali Yıldırım.

Yes, we know that. But and just a reminder that the natural waterway (bosporus) was created in the past (long ago) by quakes that collapsed the land in that area.

I saw a tweet that showed the rail network of industrialized nations Europe and Turkey. and we don't have anything near their amount of rails.

imo we need 10.000.000 km rails in Turkey, and a lot going from Black sea to Izmir, Mersin, Silifke, or maybe even Hatay. Transform some of these regions to more than just a tourist hub.

I shared a post that Maersk was using Silkroad rail from Turkey to send goods to China, and the amount being sent was amazing. https://www.maersk.com/news/article...fers-weekly-rail-service-from-china-to-turkey

An older article https://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/silk-road-train-first-step-towards-a-game-changer-148533

But we definitely need more rails. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_State_Railways

Rail network needs to belong to the country, but should be leased under run/operate etc. license.

E.g. An Italian company runs/operates the metro network here in Denmark, and they're going to be doing the same with the tram being built in copenhagen area. the State is the owner, but has leased it to the italian company. We're probably doing same thing in Turkey, but directly privatizing rail network is a NO GO!

Earthquakes are much more significant than producing renewable energy for Turkey. Besides all the controversial topics about the canal, Istanbul needs to be prepared for the big İstanbul earthquake.

Did you ever travel from Frankfurt Airport? Cem Toker is right, Ataturk Airport several times awarded from different international institutions. Also, previous THY Chairman Hamdi Topçu who expressed that previous idea was just modernizing the airport, the new airport construction idea was pushed by ex-minister of transportation Binali Yıldırım.

Thanks for pointing out that Atatürk airport was an award winning airport. and we could have more airports, why should istanbul only have 2 airports ? Who says we can't have 3.

Also regarding the solar panels, it would be something people can do by themselves. The state can still worry about the earth quake. and try finding a solution.

Yes, we know that. But and just a reminder that the natural waterway (bosporus) was created in the past (long ago) by quakes that collapsed the land in that area.

I saw a tweet that showed the rail network of industrialized nations Europe and Turkey. and we don't have anything near their amount of rails.

imo we need 10.000.000 km rails in Turkey, and a lot going from Black sea to Izmir, Mersin, Silifke, or maybe even Hatay. Transform some of these regions to more than just a tourist hub.

I shared a post that Maersk was using Silkroad rail from Turkey to send goods to China, and the amount being sent was amazing. https://www.maersk.com/news/article...fers-weekly-rail-service-from-china-to-turkey

An older article https://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/silk-road-train-first-step-towards-a-game-changer-148533

But we definitely need more rails. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_State_Railways

Rail network needs to belong to the country, but should be leased under run/operate etc. license.

E.g. An Italian company runs/operates the metro network here in Denmark, and they're going to be doing the same with the tram being built in copenhagen area. the State is the owner, but has leased it to the italian company. We're probably doing same thing in Turkey, but directly privatizing rail network is a NO GO!

Thanks for pointing out that Atatürk airport was an award winning airport. and we could have more airports, why should istanbul only have 2 airports ? Who says we can't have 3.

Also regarding the solar panels, it would be something people can do by themselves. The state can still worry about the earth quake. and try finding a solution.

I agree with you about developing railways.
On the other hand, we still have 2 airport in İstanbul, award-winning İstanbul Atatürk Airport was forced to close to all passenger operations in favour to new İstanbul Airport. If we would have 3 airports in İstanbul now, I believe less people could argue about the new one. But today something happened in favour of someone benefits, not to society.

I agree with you about developing railways.
On the other hand, we still have 2 airport in İstanbul, award-winning İstanbul Atatürk Airport was forced to close to all passenger operations in favour to new İstanbul Airport. If we would have 3 airports in İstanbul now, I believe less people could argue about the new one. But today something happened in favour of someone benefits, not to society.
Having three airports was techniqally not viable if I recall correctly. Concerning the flightpaths of the planes for landing when it came to Ataturk airport and Istanbul airport. And instead of operating 3 different airports it would be financially and logistically more viable to consolidate traffic in a large airport instead. Turkey's goal is to earn by offering transfer flights. This becomes harder to do if air-traffic is devided up into multiple airports. Imagine this, a flight from Amsterdam which have some passengers that need to catch the plane to Indonesia, while others to Singapore, China, etc. It would be harder if some of these planes were to take off in a different airport. Then the passengers would have to travel to a different airport, which basicly makes transfer flights impossible or at the very least not viable.

Ataturk airport has served us well, and it has won awards etc. But we also got to remember that it had been operating over its capacity for the longer than decade. An expansion was needed or a new airport. Expansion was the first obvious choice but I think they weren't able to expand on Ataturk due to there not being room for expansion. So the only other choice was to make a new airport instead. We need to keep in mind that the goal is to serve 100 million + passengers, become a regional hub for air traffic. It is projected that air traffic will have an annual growth of 4.6% on average according to Statista.com. Turkey needs to have the right infrastructure in place to satisfy this demand and increase its share in air traffic.

I mean there has been an expansion in 2016 on Ataturk which increased the capacity to 70 million if I recall correctly, but at one point Ataturk airport had reached its capacity and more growth was not possible (limited amount of space). Reaching 100 million + for Ataturk airport was simply not possible. The new third airport has been planned in such a way that it can be expanded to 200 million passengers. All this is to be prepared for the projected growth in air traffic.

Schiphol airport in Amsterdam is having the same problem (as well as noise problems). There was a possible solution to make a new airport in the sea here in the Netherlands. But I do not know the latest regarding that.

Last edited:
Having three airports was techniqally not viable if I recall correctly. Concerning the flightpaths of the planes for landing when it came to Ataturk airport and Istanbul airport. And instead of operating 3 different airports it would be financially and logistically more viable to consolidate traffic in a large airport instead. Turkey's goal is to earn by offering transfer flights. This becomes harder to do if air-traffic is devided up into multiple airports. Imagine this, a flight from Amsterdam which have some passengers that need to catch the plane to Indonesia, while others to Singapore, China, etc. It would be harder if some of these planes were to take off in a different airport. Then the passengers would have to travel to a different airport, which basicly makes transfer flights impossible or at the very least not viable.

Ataturk airport has served us well, and it has won awards etc. But we also got to remember that it had been operating over its capacity for the longer than decade. An expansion was needed or a new airport. Expansion was the first obvious choice but I think they weren't able to expand on Ataturk due to there not being room for expansion. So the only other choice was to make a new airport instead. We need to keep in mind that the goal is to serve 100 million + passengers, become a regional hub for air traffic. It is projected that air traffic will have an annual growth of 4.6% on average according to Statista.com. Turkey needs to have the right infrastructure in place to satisfy this demand and increase its share in air traffic.

I mean there has been an expansion in 2016 on Ataturk which increased the capacity to 70 million if I recall correctly, but at one point Ataturk airport had reached its capacity and more growth was not possible (limited amount of space). Reaching 100 million + for Ataturk airport was simply not possible. The new third airport has been planned in such a way that it can be expanded to 200 million passengers. All this is to be prepared for the projected growth in air traffic.

Schiphol airport in Amsterdam is having the same problem (as well as noise problems). There was a possible solution to make a new airport in the sea here in the Netherlands. But I do not know the latest regarding that.

According to some experts there were possible expansion plans with further expropriation for Ataturk Airport but it was not accepted by the related persons at that time. Istanbul Airport and Istanbul Ataturk Airport can operate at the same time but this position restricts the revenue of the Istanbul Airport. If Ataturk Airport was not closed the passenger flights Atlasglobal or Onur Air or some other airlines would not transfer their base from one another.

Closing down the Atatürk airport which had minimal expansion capabilities was the right call. Even if we did put a band aid on the situation and added another runway it wouldn't last nearly long enough for us because we also needed to renovate the whole airport from scratch too. It was a mess and it was very outdated. Reminded me of otogars Everytime I went there. So any money you sink there would be lost as soon as the new capacity was filled.

The new airport has none of these issues and is modern clean and very easy to navigate (contrary to people claiming it's a maze).

The part I'm not so sure about is it's current location for starters. It could've been placed better.

And also it was opened too early without the needed infrastructure in place.

Who cares about Frankfurt? Topic is Istanbul, i have traveled by all three airports and all i can say is that the new one was the most convenient.

Who cares about Frankfurt? Topic is Istanbul, i have traveled by all three airports and all i can say is that the new one was the most convenient.

Frankfurt Airport is the hub of the biggest European airline Lufthansa. Did you that airport how old and how much crowded? I've used all three airport in İstanbul. Yes new airport is fancy, but being fancy isn't the point here. Ex chairman said that there was a plan expansion for Ataturk Airport, but this plan ignored. That's means a lot of money could be saved instead of making some stupid constructor richer.

Also, due to the passenger guarantee, Ataturk Airport had to close all passenger flights. This one changed caused the bankruptcy of Atlasglobal.

I think everyone here knows that the deals AKP has stood for are bad at worst and wouldn't survive if handled by an unpartial court.

Frankfurt Airport is the hub of the biggest European airline Lufthansa. Did you that airport how old and how much crowded? I've used all three airport in İstanbul. Yes new airport is fancy, but being fancy isn't the point here. Ex chairman said that there was a plan expansion for Ataturk Airport, but this plan ignored. That's means a lot of money could be saved instead of making some stupid constructor richer.

Also, due to the passenger guarantee, Ataturk Airport had to close all passenger flights. This one changed caused the bankruptcy of Atlasglobal.
Im not saying everything went smooth yet atatürk had only limited capability to expand, projects as such are planned for the next century, you couldnt expand atatürk at one point anymore.
Also having a huge airport in the middle of the city is not very nice either, pollution and noise would only get worse with expansion.

I just hope they make a huge recreational area on Atatürk airports place and not some kind of mall or something.

Im not saying everything went smooth yet atatürk had only limited capability to expand, projects as such are planned for the next century, you couldnt expand atatürk at one point anymore.
Also having a huge airport in the middle of the city is not very nice either, pollution and noise would only get worse with expansion.

I just hope they make a huge recreational area on Atatürk airports place and not some kind of mall or something.

Imagine if they try to make another Anka Park...

Back
Top Bottom