What's new

Huawei looks to India to spur 4G revenue growth

NeutralCitizen

Reaction score
Chinese telecoms equipment maker Huawei is looking to ramp up its investment in India to capitalise on the country’s 4G plans, as western markets become increasingly hostile towards the firm.

Local daily The Economic Times revealed that Huawei made around $1.2 billion from India in 2011 and plans to grow its revenues there this year by a substantial 40 per cent.

Huawei has been operating in India for a decade now and has its largest R&D centre outside of China in Bangalore.

As such, the firm is already a big supplier of telecoms equipment in the country, having been awarded 3G network contracts from several leading telcos including Tata Communications.

Huawei India deputy director of enterprise marketing, Suresh Vaidyanathan, told The Economic Times that the firm has a market share of 45 per cent in supplying telecoms equipment and services to Indian telcos, and now wants to focus on 4G.

“4G services are being rolled out. Huawei is scaling up India operation in terms of man power, technology and investment,” he said.

India is some way ahead of the UK in its 4G plans, with telcos such as Reliance Communications reportedly readying 4G service for roll out in some cities by early to mid-2012.

Huawei also has a dominant position in its home market, which is basically split between it and Shenzhen rival ZTE, but China is still a couple of years away from rolling out 4G services.

The Chinese giant’s ambitious growth continues unabated despite setbacks in the States – where intense scrutiny over rumours of links to the Chinese military have scuppered proposed acquisitions of US firms including 3Leaf and 3Com.

Most recently, it was reportedly told by the Australian government not to tender a bid for the National Broadband Network (NBN) project after similar concerns were raised over national security.

However, this has not stopped the firm’s apparently inexorable growth, and when its yearly financials are announced later this month it’s expected to overtake Ericsson as the world’s richest telecoms equipment manufacturer.

Not to be outdone, Ericsson is also increasing its presence in India. A Times of India report revealed the firm had increased headcount at its global services unit in the country by more than 4,000 last year.

Huawei didn't immediately respond for more comment around its plans in India. ®

Could this mean Chinese Spies in India :eek:

After the Australia affair this raises questions right ?

Huawei ,ZTE and others already have good presence in India , Most telecommunication equipments used here are Chinese I believe.. So it is natural they are going to make a good money here.. BTW how big is the R&D center in Banglore??

It's quite a popular word these days, in Afganistan, Iraq, Lybia and of course INdia the wonderland. But I think Huawei cares more about making profits.
also in US UK and europe and all those places where chinese emigrate to.
all companies work for profit

I thought Huawei and ZTE were already banned in India.. If it is taken off then lets ban them again.. They should rather do 4G investments in Pakistan..

Our secret curry recipe... :P

I think Reliance guys will be up for it... as is they have an affinity for Chinese products.

Reliance and Huawei seem similar in their management style.

I'm wondering how come Indian state owned companies are not so strong as their privates?

i think huawei is only company which not reflect the chinese true technology.they are doing very well not only in india but across the world. however i still oppose any foreign company to sell those product which we can produce easily but we are not doing well in due to government weak and demoralize policy....

Reliance and Huawei seem similar in their management style.

I'm wondering how come Indian state owned companies are not so strong as their privates?

You maybe right.. although I am not that familiar with Huawei's management style. But Reliance is one company which is ruthless in its business style, they will do whatever it takes to keep them profitable... and by it I mean sometimes by hook or by crook. Not sure if Huawei also follows a similar ideology.... I doubt so.

Our other govt owned PSU companies have a lot of other 'social' responsibilities and are handled as political pawns by those in power. Nevertheless, the govt employees as such use BSNL networks anyways, but I hope Huawei also gets a fair chance to bid for the 4G deployment.... let the decision of selecting the winner lie with the service provider.

well there is nothing to spy. Huawei will just supply the equipments thats all. Only carriers can "spy" on the subscribers. Besides switching from 3g to 4g is not a very big investment, generally the country's communication's board will give it for free to the carriers. The license that is expensive is switching from 2g to 3G, Indian carriers have already done this. There is nothing to spy. Its just business.

If Huawei which is a public limited company were ever involved in ant kind of spying than the news of it would bring down her share prices so low that it would go bankrupt over night. Besides if one wants to spy on a citizen's cellphone they would just hack the cellphone frequencies and listen to the conversation they have such devices, FBI uses it. That is the reason why important cellphones are encrypted.

My Source: Family owns a telecommunications firm in Bangladesh and will apply for 3g license in Bangladesh.

Back
Top Bottom