What's new

How well municipalities in Pakistan function to keep their cities clean?

Reaction score
Country
India
I just want to know how well are Pakistani cities and towns maintained.My city when compared to other cities in India is much cleaner(but no way near international standards)...our municipality has removed all garbage bins...municipality workers come every alternate day on a small push cart and collect the garbage from houses...the thing here is due to absence of dust bins on streets some uncivilized people throw garbage across the road when there is more garbage than they can hold in their home dust bins(of course that is cleared later)... Drains are not covered but they are cleaned once every week...many houses have good septic tanks from which only water goes out into drains..but houses in poor localities don't have septic tanks and they leave excreta directly into drains from their toilets...people generally don't pee in public places but do somewhere where there is less public(as we don't have many public toilets)..the condition of roads is not up to the mark..but every street has concrete road.people spit on the roads but not as much as in some other cities..there are slums where people go to relieve themselves in open.
My questions to Pakistanis are
1.do you have garbage bin in your street or is garbage collected by municipality workers by going door to door?if you have only garbage bin how often it is emptied?
2.are drains covered ?
3.does every house have a septic tank with the waste entering into drain only in liquid form?
4.do people pee in public places?
5.how many public toilets are there and how clean they are?( or is there no need for public toilets as there would be many mosques with toilet facilities?)
5.what is the condition of main roads?does every street have concrete road?
6.Do people(especially migrant workers) in slums relieve themselves in open?

I just want to know how well are Pakistani cities and towns maintained.My city when compared to other cities in India is much cleaner(but no way near international standards)...our municipality has removed all garbage bins...municipality workers come every alternate day on a small push cart and collect the garbage from houses...the thing here is due to absence of dust bins on streets some uncivilized people throw garbage across the road when there is more garbage than they can hold in their home dust bins(of course that is cleared later)... Drains are not covered but they are cleaned once every week...many houses have good septic tanks from which only water goes out into drains..but houses in poor localities don't have septic tanks and they leave excreta directly into drains from their toilets...people generally don't pee in public places but do somewhere where there is less public(as we don't have many public toilets)..the condition of roads is not up to the mark..but every street has concrete road.people spit on the roads but not as much as in some other cities..there are slums where people go to relieve themselves in open.
1.do you have garbage bin in your street or is garbage collected by municipality workers by going door to door?if you have only garbage bin how often it is emptied?
2.are drains covered ?
3.does every house have a septic tank with the waste entering into drain only in liquid form?
5.how many public toilets are there and how clean they are?( or is there no need for public toilets as there would be many mosques with toilet facilities?)

Ask that in a few years.

We just got out of the hands of PPP which lotted every single penny.
We're like a junkyard atm.

SCREW YOU STUPID BANGALI HATING PARTY!

Ask that in a few years.

We just got out of the hands of PPP which lotted every single penny.
We're like a junkyard atm.

SCREW YOU STUPID BANGALI HATING PARTY!
I think there are many municipalities in every province just like we have in India...I would like to know different pakistani members experience with their municipalities.

Idk about other cities but in Islamabad, its very good..

I'd rate it 7.5/10.

Answer to your questions (I'm only taking Islamabad into consideration, remember).

1.do you have garbage bin in your street or is garbage collected by municipality workers by going door to door?if you have only garbage bin how often it is emptied? (BOTH and after every 2 days)
2.are drains covered ? (YES, MOST ARE)
3.does every house have a septic tank with the waste entering into drain only in liquid form? (Yes)
4.do people pee in public places? (NO, you'll hardly see people doing that in public places, some do in Forest type areas tho but not in public places).
5.how many public toilets are there and how clean they are?( or is there no need for public toilets as there would be many mosques with toilet facilities?) (The condition of public toilets is bad, although some mosques do have toilet facilities but most don't, but still we somehow manage it).
5.what is the condition of main roads?does every street have concrete road? (Very good, I'd say).
6.Do people(especially migrant workers) in slums relieve themselves in open? (Yes, some do).

I'd rate it 7.5/10.

Answer to your questions (I'm only taking Islamabad into consideration, remember).

1.do you have garbage bin in your street or is garbage collected by municipality workers by going door to door?if you have only garbage bin how often it is emptied? (BOTH and after every 2 days)
3.does every house have a septic tank with the waste entering into drain only in liquid form? (Yes)
4.do people pee in public places? (NO, you'll hardly see people doing that in public places, some do in Forest type areas tho but not in public places).
5.how many public toilets are there and how clean they are?( or is there no need for public toilets as there would be many mosques with toilet facilities?) (The condition of public toilets is bad, although some mosques do have toilet facilities but most don't, but still we somehow manage it).
5.what is the condition of main roads?does every street have concrete road? (Very good, I'd say).
6.Do people(especially migrant workers) in slums relieve themselves in open? (Yes, some do).
Thanks for giving a detailed answer mate

In Karachi it really depends on who's the man in charge I guess.
Karachi is divided into 6 District Municipal Corporations, and each has it's own dynamics.
Some parts of Karachi are rather clean like my area PECHS, Bahadurabad, Gulshan etc, some are really clean like Clifton, Korangi, and some are dumpsters like Saddar (Old Town).
Where I live, sweepers come and sweep the streets every morning before most people wake up, and garbage collection is done by the garbage collector guy who comes once every 2 days I guess?
Though I've heard Lahore is pretty nice and clean, much better than Karachi. But only Lahorites can tell you how it functions there.

Better than india.
Congrats TNT validated....lol
this is a serious and interesting thread ... don't troll.

I'd rate it 7.5/10.

Islamabad is a planned city how about Lahore / Karachi

Congrats TNT validated....lol
this is a serious and interesting thread ... don't troll.

Islamabad is a planned city how about Lahore / Karachi
to be honest islamabad is the only clean city. posh areas of karachi and lahore as well as peshawar, faisalabad, multan are maintained very well and clean but those areas may be 20-40% of the city, rest of the cities are dirty as hell. specially we have a lot of dust on the roads.

In Karachi it really depends on who's the man in charge I guess.
Karachi is divided into 6 District Municipal Corporations, and each has it's own dynamics.
Some parts of Karachi are rather clean like my area PECHS, Bahadurabad, Gulshan etc, some are really clean like Clifton, Korangi, and some are dumpsters like Saddar (Old Town).
Where I live, sweepers come and sweep the streets every morning before most people wake up, and garbage collection is done by the garbage collector guy who comes once every 2 days I guess?
Though I've heard Lahore is pretty nice and clean, much better than Karachi. But only Lahorites can tell you how it functions there.
Thanks for the reply

to be honest islamabad is the only clean city. posh areas of karachi and lahore as well as peshawar, faisalabad, multan are maintained very well and clean but those areas may be 20-40% of the city, rest of the cities are dirty as hell. specially we have a lot of dust on the roads.
Thanks;what about Quetta?

Last edited:
2.are drains covered ?

cant say about other provinces but let me tell you about Peshawar and generally KPK

1. Yes we do have a large garbage bin/tank at a road at every colony or lane in colony BUT you would see most of the garbage is thrown out at sides of this bin instead of inside. earlier these bins used to be emptied after many days.

Now after PTI Government in KPK started cleanliness driver and provided modern vehicles with foreign donors funding so ow situation has improved a lot.

A. We do have municipal workers collecting garbage door to door earlier they used to come after every two days now they daily collects garbage from door to door in Peshawar. Though they have Sunday and Saturday off. They also sweep streets daily.

2. Earlier drains were NOT covered Now PTI government had covered most of the drains in many areas while many are still remaining uncovered which would be covered soon by LG.

3. every house does not have septic tank but majority do and thousands still have to get one.

4. NOT people but yes MEN do pee in public whenever they feel peeing :P

5. We do have public toilets and they are the MOST dirties ones and inadequate. We need thousands of public toilets in every city of Pakistan. The situation is same throughout Pakistan. Almost all Mosques do have toilet and these are clean because these are not meant for doing potty but for ablution and bath.

6. In Peshawar Main roads are concrete and streets are also concrete nice ones.

7. People in slums do relieve themselves in open though the situation is not worst here do not know about other cities.

cant say about other provinces but let me tell you about Peshawar and generally KPK

1. Yes we do have a large garbage bin/tank at a road at every colony or lane in colony BUT you would see most of the garbage is thrown out at sides of this bin instead of inside. earlier these bins used to be emptied after many days.

Now after PTI Government in KPK started cleanliness driver and provided modern vehicles with foreign donors funding so ow situation has improved a lot.

A. We do have municipal workers collecting garbage door to door earlier they used to come after every two days now they daily collects garbage from door to door in Peshawar. Though they have Sunday and Saturday off. They also sweep streets daily.

2. Earlier drains were NOT covered Now PTI government had covered most of the drains in many areas while many are still remaining uncovered which would be covered soon by LG.

3. every house does not have septic tank but majority do and thousands still have to get one.

4. NOT people but yes MEN do pee in public whenever they feel peeing :P

5. We do have public toilets and they are the MOST dirties ones and inadequate. We need thousands of public toilets in every city of Pakistan. The situation is same throughout Pakistan. Almost all Mosques do have toilet and these are clean because these are not meant for doing potty but for ablution and bath.

7. People in slums do relieve themselves in open though the situation is not worst here do not know about other cities.
Thanks for the reply

For reals?? I live in Karachi and there are hardly any concrete roads here, only Islamabad has those, how are there concrete roads in Peshawar? :O

Back
Top Bottom