What's new

How IAF airman fell victim to Pakistani honeytrap

Dawood Ibrahim

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Ranjith KK was "a simple man with little dreams". But he was also a Leading Aircraftman (LAC) in the Indian Air Forceand hated the job. The disgruntled Ranjith became an easy prey for a honeytrap set by Pakistani spy agency ISI and is now facing trial for allegedly leaking secret information.

Mail Today has accessed transcripts of conversations between the airman and the fake Facebook account McNaught Damini. Ranjith was posted at the Bathinda base before he was dismissed and arrested in 2015 following a joint operation by Delhi Police's crime branch, military intelligence and the air force liasoning unit.

Damini, pretending to be working in the defence analysis sector, offered him the job of alerting about the movement of squadrons to different air force stations along with information about fighter aircraft being used and their number, location of transportable radar units and their identification. He was also asked to update on live air exercises as and when they were held in the western and northern air commands, the INDRA India-Russia military exercises and movements to the Jammu and Kashmir base.

The conversations between the two took place on Facebook, Skype as well as WhatsApp. Details reveal the secrets shared with Damini, the payment plan offered and what compelled Ranjith to divulge information. The airman disclosed the exact number of aircraft such as Jaguar, Sukhoi 30 and AWACS participating in an exercise. He also reported the movement of squadrons to Bathinda from Pathankot, Amritsar, Agra, Ambala, Srinagar, etc.

Ranjith was in service since 2010. He told Damini that joining the force was a necessity and not his choice. It was the sudden death of his father that left his family without any earning member. "It is just me and my mother who live in Kerala. My sister is married and father passed away. When father died I just wanted a job immediately; that is why I joined the force," he told Damini.

He also wrote that he was not happy as the salary he was getting in service was too little and asked her to look out for job opportunities in London. "I am a little fed up here. Here it is not sufficient. I cannot even complete the work of the house. My father had a dream of owning a house. It will take years to complete," he said. There were moments when the airman grew suspicious but he soon forgot this.

During his interview process, he was told that a person named Mangeet would speak to him on Skype, which showed that the country registered was Pakistan. "He (Mangeet) demands me to join on Skype. But the problem is that it is showing he belongs to Pakistan. I think he is from Pakistan," he told Damini. "Do not get me in trouble. I am a simple man with little dreams."

Damini responded, "He is not from Pakistan and one thing you should keep in mind is that there is no one in our office from Pakistan." The code "marriage plan" was used to confirm if Ranjith wanted to work for the Pakistani intelligence. Damini described to him the payment plan.

"Initially the payment slab ranges from 550 USD to 600 USD. But additional payments would be made for some other tasks for which the payment would vary from at least 5000 USD to 10,000 USD," he was told. Ranjith was advised to give the bank details in the name of a relative. "This is your salary account and should be separate from the present one so that nobody suspects," Damini said.

http://m.indiatoday.in/story/indian...victim-isi-pakistani-honeytrap/1/1066016.html

@Khafee @tps77 @I S I

Why are I not surprised that the man was from kerala.

A man working in the IAF asked to provide classified details to a Skype number from pakistan ? :cheesy: ........ and he did it and claims to be "misled" ? who is he kidding ? Bet he know exactly what he was doing and did it anyway for money.

LOL at his claims of being a "simple man".

Indians are just paranoid. There is no such thing as honey trap.. they always indulge in conspiracy theories.

security folks have to be paranoid. there are plenty of honey traps in the history of espionage
it might not be applicable here

This chap was giving out confidential work information which impacted on his country's national security to a total stranger on social media? Are there really such dumb people out there :D

If he fell for this... imagine Chinese honey traps

This chap was giving out confidential work information which impacted on his country's national security to a total stranger on social media? Are there really such dumb people out there :D

a lot of people in India are naive about social media and computer security

Honey trap.

Bears.

Mischievous creatures.

Very dirty.

Easily tempted.

Big mouth.

Causes terror. Specially mothers.

Little known about its sex life.

Nice article though.

Back
Top Bottom