What's new

How do U.S. Marines plan on recapturing Mongolia?

Martian2

Reaction score
My comment on Military.com.

Marine General Ready for Battle against China | Military.com

wjCS3U9.jpg

sourav-jha-blog550.jpg

sourav-jha-blog550-01.jpg

You have to defeat the entire China before that. Right now Mongolia is quite warm with the US, Chuck Hagel just visited Ulanbator.

After the Korean War, many US strategist has advocated NO land based battle against the PLA, they had enough LOL. That's is why AirSea Battle came into place. So, where are these Marines going to fight the PLA? Using airstrikes, missle bombardment on tiny Diaoyu is hardly a "Marine" affair. :D

Really funny Russian already forgotten thing in mind of distant country.

seriously. no

china isnt and shouldnt attack mongolia regardless of what happens to the island disputes with japan, unless they attack first that is. china does good business with mongolia anyways, no need to ruin a good thing.

the chinese mainland is more of less safe, with that secured, china can now focus on other areas, namely maritime areas, which it is doing.

seriously. no

china isnt and shouldnt attack mongolia regardless of what happens to the island disputes with japan, unless they attack first that is. china does good business with mongolia anyways, no need to ruin a good thing.

the chinese mainland is more of less safe, with that secured, china can now focus on other areas, namely maritime areas, which it is doing.

Not only China, USA, Russia also care about Mongolia.

Tibet, Xinjiang, Hongkong,... would have unrest to China

USA care for Myanmar, Vietnam, Laos too. Those countries to China would be as a Ukraine, Belarus to Russia..

Are you serious? Really?

What could/would the US do with Mongolia? Mongolia is landlocked. Mongolians can't fart with the Chinese/Russians say so.
Even Mongolia is covered in gold nuggets, how the US get them out?

Why would China invade Mongolia? Besides Mongols are a fiercely fighter race if we trace their past If at all China enter there it will be like what Vietnam was to US and USSR to Afghanistan!!

I have a question. Why didn't China invade Mongolia in the same fashion that it invaded Tibet? Was it due to USSR influence in Mongolia?

I found this interesting

China Eyes Bite of Mongolia?

For most of the last several centuries, Mongolia has been controlled by one of its two superpower neighbours. China ruled Mongolia for more than 200 years, a reign that ended only with the collapse of the Manchu empire in 1911. Just a few years later, a communist government, subservient to the Soviet Union, took over.

So when Mongolia achieved true independence in 1990 as the Soviet Union was collapsing, its new leaders were faced with a quandary, one that remains unresolved today: how best to maintain functional independence sandwiched between China and Russia.

Lately, this question has become even more urgent, as miners have started to unlock Mongolia’s vast mineral wealth. In October 2009, the Mongolian government signed a $5 billion agreement—worth as much as the country’s annual gross domestic product—with international mining companies to exploit the Oyu Tolgoi mine in the southern Gobi Desert, expected to yield a billion pounds of copper and 330,000 ounces of gold every year for at least 35 years. The country also has substantial coal and uranium reserves.

Those prospects have raised the stakes, particularly for China, which is hungry for raw materials to feed its dynamic economy. But it worries Mongolians, who fear that China has irredentist claims on its territory. As a result, Mongolia’s leaders have tried to maintain a delicate balancing act, keeping the Chinese investment they need while staving off political influence from Beijing by courting other international partners.

This is no more in evidence than in a throwback to a key element of 19th-century geopolitical competition: railroads.

The coal mine at Tavan Tolgoi, near the copper-gold Oyu Tolgoi mine in the Gobi near Mongolia’s border with China, is the biggest undeveloped mine in the world, and has drawn the interest of the world’s top mining companies. It’s expected to produce 50 million tons of coal per year when it’s developed.

That will require a new rail line to be built from the mine site to existing railroads and eventually to China, which is expected to consume all, or nearly all, of the coal from Taval Tolgoi. But the nearest existing Mongolian railway is 400 kilometres away.

So a far shorter and cheaper option would be to build a line directly south, to China, about 80 kilometres from the mine. The holding company that now owns Tavan Tolgoi, Energy Resources LLC, plans to build a private rail line along that path and has agreed to a contract with Deutsche Bahn AG, Germany’s state-owned railway, to conduct a feasibility study. Deutsche Bahn has said it plans to start running trains on the line by 2011.

But the Mongolian government has balked at the plans. It worries that connecting the mine to the Chinese rail system and not the Mongolian one would allow China too much effective control over the mine, as well as others in the same area, like Oyu Tolgoi, that are likely to use the rail line if it’s built.

I have a question. Why didn't China invade Mongolia in the same fashion that it invaded Tibet? Was it due to USSR influence in Mongolia?

The difference is one being a de jure independence whereas the other only a de facto independence.

Back
Top Bottom