Status
Not open for further replies.

Riyad

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Thank you , Bollywood stars.

How stars ‘helped’ bring plight of Bangladeshis to India’s heartland

The Rajesh Khanna connection was shared at a ceremony where the Bangladesh government conferred bravery awards to the families of 12 Indian soldiers who died in the 1971 Liberation War against Pakistan.
ET CONTRIBUTORS|

untitled-1.jpg

by Kathakali Nandi

The birth of Bangladesh has a Bollywood connection dating back to the 1970s. Riding on none other than Rajesh Khanna, the biggest star of those days, the plight of a nation’s struggle for Independence made inroads into the heartland of India.

The Rajesh Khanna connection was shared at a ceremony where the Bangladesh government conferred bravery awards to the families of 12 Indian soldiers who died in the 1971 Mukti Yuddha (Liberation War) against Pakistan.

The Bengali-speaking majority of what was then East Pakistan had been demanding a separate state of Bangladesh and their call for freedom became louder after Pakistan started its atrocities in early 1971. India, then led by Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, reached out to help with her armed forces and a war ensued for almost nine months.

The Indian Army celebrates December 16, the day on which the war ended, as Vijay Diwas.

Young students from erstwhile East Pakistan were deputed to tour India to convince their Indian peers about the significance of their war. They first encountered a disinterested Indian community. “I was 20, studying in Dhaka University, when the war broke out. I joined the Liberation Army from Agartala in India,” recalled Mahfuz Anam, editor and publisher of Bangladeshi newspaper The Daily Star.

As the cry for Independence in East Pakistan turned louder, Pakistan started influencing Indian Muslims, saying that India was trying to divide the Muslim-dominated country into two parts. Students from East Pakistan were asked by their leaders to travel across India to garner support for their fight and Anam went to central India.

“It was hard to deal with the strong religious sentiment of the people and we devised a strategy to cash in on the hit screen pair of Rajesh Khanna-Sharmila Tagore.

We would screen Khanna’s films for the locals and use the intervals to tell the audience about our fight for freedom and the significance of our movement. We knew people would be forced to listen to us because the rest of the film was yet to be screened,” Anam said.

Anam was part of a Bangladeshi delegation that visited India last week to honour the martyr families at Fort William, the headquarters of the Eastern Command in Kolkata, on Vijay Diwas.
This was the first time that eastern India hosted such an event by the Bangladesh government.

“The Bangladeshi government-inexile was then headquartered at 8 Theatre Road in Kolkata and led by Tajuddin Ahmad. I remember coming to Kolkata to visit the headquarters. Residents of Kolkata welcomed our people and opened up posh localities like Ballygunge and Salt Lake to give them shelter,” Anam said. His father was the founder-secretary of the Awami Muslim League.

Awami Muslim League. Former army chief General Shankar Roy Chowdhury said that since the Eastern Command was already heavily armed to combat the Naxalite movement in eastern India, they were at a strategic advantage to immediately reach out to the Mukti Bahini, the guerrilla force in Bangladesh that operated as the Indian armed force’s undercover agents and provided them with internal intelligence reports.

“We worked as shadow warriors and were referred to as the Mitra Bahini (allied forces) by the Mukti Bahini. Several Bengali-speaking army personnel were put in the same battalions during the war to better coordinate with the Mukti Bahini. These and many other advantages helped India emerge victorious,” General Roy Chowdhury said.

Bangladesh MP Quazi Rosy summed up Bangladesh’s sentiment towards the Indian armed force’s contributions: “We got freedom in exchange for lakhs of martyrs. We helped Rohingyas and gave them food and shelter. But you gave us much more during our struggle for Independence.”

https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...-to-indias-heartland/articleshow/67200199.cms

Last edited:
Your welcome, george harrison did a big effort too:

Your welcome, george harrison did a big effort too:

Appalled at the situation affecting his homeland and relatives,[10][11] Bengali musician Ravi Shankar first brought the issue to the attention of his friend George Harrison in the early months of 1971, over dinner at Friar Park, according to Klaus Voormann's recollection.

I was in a very sad mood, having read all this news, and I said, "George, this is the situation, I know it doesn't concern you, I know you can't possibly identify." But while I talked to George he was very deeply moved ... and he said, "Yes, I think I'll be able to do something."[9]
– Ravi Shankar, 1971

It was an Indian's effort again.

Discussion need to go forward in a civilized manner. Please refrain from insults and slurs!

Warnings issued, posts deleted to clean the thread.

Excuse my ignorance ****************************************************** was my post deleted?
Insulting other people, nationalities and religion is NOT "calling a spade a spade". This is against the forum rules. You call them names, they hit back and the problem continues. Yes you can do it in comments section of youtube, on your facebook page, twitter perhaps, lot of people are doing it. However this forum is for debating and discussing various topics. What you recommend above wont let us debate or discuss anything at all.

Insulting other people, nationalities and religion is NOT "calling a spade a spade". This is against the forum rules. You call them names, they hit back and the problem continues. Yes you can do it in comments section of youtube, on your facebook page, twitter perhaps, lot of people are doing it. However this forum is for debating and discussing various topics. What you recommend above wont let us debate or discuss anything at all.
Read what the person under your comment posted. Do you understand what the difference is between, what you said?
This certain spade broke our country and then celebrates the death of our men and nation that came with it. Now these bengali members on this forum get aggravated when something bad is posted about their lovely hasina, heck even their government responded to it. On the contrary when Pakistanis get mad about the celebration of their loving country being torn apart by ghaddars you get mad and say its name calling? This forum is not some diplomatic relations forum. This is a public forum where the public gets its thoughts across. That means we dont have to oblige by diplomatic relations nor procedures.

Read what the person under your comment posted. Do you understand what the difference is between, what you said?
This certain spade broke our country and then celebrates the death of our men and nation that came with it. Now these bengali members on this forum get aggravated when something bad is posted about their lovely hasina, heck even their government responded to it. On the contrary when Pakistanis get mad about the celebration of their loving country being torn apart by ghaddars you get mad and say its name calling? This forum is not some diplomatic relations forum. This is a public forum where the public gets its thoughts across. That means we dont have to oblige by diplomatic relations nor procedures.

No we dont have to bend rules depending on diplomatic relations but you have explained the issue yourself, its a PUBLIC forum. Its not a PRIVATE space like you profile on facebook, or your membership of youtube or that on twitter or insta!! Those are all private profiles/pages and you can see people spewing hatred and venom as per their liking (even they have certain limits, at least the claim to have). This is different. This is a public forum and when in a public place you are to follow certain rules.

As for anyone celebrating bringing harm to Pakistan please report all such posts. Tag me, share link or just REPORT. This is what i have been saying for quite some time now.Warnings and bans will be issued on any such posts

@Flight of falcon

Thank you , Bollywood stars.

How stars ‘helped’ bring plight of Bangladeshis to India’s heartland

The Rajesh Khanna connection was shared at a ceremony where the Bangladesh government conferred bravery awards to the families of 12 Indian soldiers who died in the 1971 Liberation War against Pakistan.
ET CONTRIBUTORS|

untitled-1.jpg

by Kathakali Nandi

The birth of Bangladesh has a Bollywood connection dating back to the 1970s. Riding on none other than Rajesh Khanna, the biggest star of those days, the plight of a nation’s struggle for Independence made inroads into the heartland of India.

The Rajesh Khanna connection was shared at a ceremony where the Bangladesh government conferred bravery awards to the families of 12 Indian soldiers who died in the 1971 Mukti Yuddha (Liberation War) against Pakistan.

The Bengali-speaking majority of what was then East Pakistan had been demanding a separate state of Bangladesh and their call for freedom became louder after Pakistan started its atrocities in early 1971. India, then led by Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, reached out to help with her armed forces and a war ensued for almost nine months.

The Indian Army celebrates December 16, the day on which the war ended, as Vijay Diwas.

Young students from erstwhile East Pakistan were deputed to tour India to convince their Indian peers about the significance of their war. They first encountered a disinterested Indian community. “I was 20, studying in Dhaka University, when the war broke out. I joined the Liberation Army from Agartala in India,” recalled Mahfuz Anam, editor and publisher of Bangladeshi newspaper The Daily Star.

As the cry for Independence in East Pakistan turned louder, Pakistan started influencing Indian Muslims, saying that India was trying to divide the Muslim-dominated country into two parts. Students from East Pakistan were asked by their leaders to travel across India to garner support for their fight and Anam went to central India.

“It was hard to deal with the strong religious sentiment of the people and we devised a strategy to cash in on the hit screen pair of Rajesh Khanna-Sharmila Tagore.

We would screen Khanna’s films for the locals and use the intervals to tell the audience about our fight for freedom and the significance of our movement. We knew people would be forced to listen to us because the rest of the film was yet to be screened,” Anam said.

Anam was part of a Bangladeshi delegation that visited India last week to honour the martyr families at Fort William, the headquarters of the Eastern Command in Kolkata, on Vijay Diwas.
This was the first time that eastern India hosted such an event by the Bangladesh government.

“The Bangladeshi government-inexile was then headquartered at 8 Theatre Road in Kolkata and led by Tajuddin Ahmad. I remember coming to Kolkata to visit the headquarters. Residents of Kolkata welcomed our people and opened up posh localities like Ballygunge and Salt Lake to give them shelter,” Anam said. His father was the founder-secretary of the Awami Muslim League.

Awami Muslim League. Former army chief General Shankar Roy Chowdhury said that since the Eastern Command was already heavily armed to combat the Naxalite movement in eastern India, they were at a strategic advantage to immediately reach out to the Mukti Bahini, the guerrilla force in Bangladesh that operated as the Indian armed force’s undercover agents and provided them with internal intelligence reports.

“We worked as shadow warriors and were referred to as the Mitra Bahini (allied forces) by the Mukti Bahini. Several Bengali-speaking army personnel were put in the same battalions during the war to better coordinate with the Mukti Bahini. These and many other advantages helped India emerge victorious,” General Roy Chowdhury said.

Bangladesh MP Quazi Rosy summed up Bangladesh’s sentiment towards the Indian armed force’s contributions: “We got freedom in exchange for lakhs of martyrs. We helped Rohingyas and gave them food and shelter. But you gave us much more during our struggle for Independence.”

https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...-to-indias-heartland/articleshow/67200199.cms

Please do your self a favor and migrate to Bharat rakshak. Your posts will be highly appreciated over there.

This is a Pakistan defence forum. Your posts are like rubbing salt in the would.
Have some decency and don’t be a flat out Ehsaan Faramosh (ungrateful).

No we dont have to bend rules depending on diplomatic relations but you have explained the issue yourself, its a PUBLIC forum. Its not a PRIVATE space like you profile on facebook, or your membership of youtube or that on twitter or insta!! Those are all private profiles/pages and you can see people spewing hatred and venom as per their liking (even they have certain limits, at least the claim to have). This is different. This is a public forum and when in a public place you are to follow certain rules.

As for anyone celebrating bringing harm to Pakistan please report all such posts. Tag me, share link or just REPORT. This is what i have been saying for quite some time now.Warnings and bans will be issued on any such posts

@Flight of falcon

Sir with all respect, what about the quality of the forum? I know I have the choice to ignore this subsection but I keep seeing this nonsense on my news feed every time I refresh my page.
How far will you tolerate the spamming with insignificant news?

Sir with all respect, what about the quality of the forum? I know I have the choice to ignore this subsection but I keep seeing this nonsense on my news feed every time I refresh my page.
How far will you tolerate the spamming with insignificant news?
Its in the Bangladesh sub-section!

@Flight of falcon
For the highlighted part, what do you assume this page is about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom