What's new

Hong Kong police fire warning shots during Mong Kok fishball 'riot'

American guy is complaining about Chinese police and Chinese guy complaining about American police. God I love 21st century and it's hypocritical pseudo-globalism.

Why not everybody mind their own police? Because guess what, if you actually mind your own country you will have a chance to make a difference other than being a keyboard warrior.

American guy is complaining about Chinese police and Chinese guy complaining about American police. God I love 21st century and it's hypocritical pseudo-globalism.

Why not everybody mind their own police? Because guess what, if you actually mind your own country you will have a chance to make a difference other than being a keyboard warrior.

I'm not complaining about Chinese police at all. Why do you think that???? I think they are doing a great job. You are completely missing the point of my posting. Read post #3 again.

Arrest the civil disobedient miscreants. Restore order and punish groups that are instigating these lawless elements. .

Sounds good to me!

These anarchistic elements have the odor of western interventionalism.

Are you serious? Police shutdown some street food/trinket vendors and people get angry...and you think this is a western conspiracy?? Does the typical Hong Kong resident have a weak mind and can be manipulated with the snap of the finger?

Last edited:
Cross post from reddit.

JayTalk comments on Hong Kong riot happening right now
I'm in a hotel in Mong Kok, there were riots and some gunshots going on right outside a few hours ago. Things seem to have died down now, but some train stations are closed. Lots of debris in the streets and last night this place looked like a warzone.

Edit: I managed to get out of the city and travel to the countryside. Watching the news, the violence seems almost nonsensical, people were attacking reporters and police on site. Saw a cop get knocked out by a brick, that's when the guns were drawn. Over 50 injured ATM, some cops are in comas fromn head trauma. Protest supporters claim police were planning this attack, but I think the cops are in the right. They were not at all prepared for this, most only have shield and batons. Thy were not equipped to disperse crowds this large.

Edit 2: FOR EVERYONE WHO KEEPS ASKING ME WHAT HAPPENED

This riot happened on the first night of Chinese New Year in Mong Kok district. Mong Kok is known for having lots of hawkers (illegal street vendors), but it is mostly tolerated by law enforcement. However, I was out on the street at midnight, and the amount of hawkers was totally out of control. You couldn't even walk down the sidewalk because of the sheer volume of people setting up tables, cardboard boxes, ironing boards, anything to sell their shit off of.

Pretty soon, standard traffic cops came to try and settle things down, but people tried to push the cops out, and things got rough. The traffic cops quickly started being hit with bricks, bottles, and garbage. Fearing for their lives, they called in riot police. From there on, it was just chaotic street warfare for hours. Cops, reporters, and protestors were all being attacked, fires were being set, cars smashed, and protestors attempted to topple a bus. It was anarchy. The fact that nobody died and the cops didn't shoot anyone is amazing.

The cops in Hong Kong are afraid to do anything because the public is so critical of them, and the political situation here if fucked. People hate the cops, and the cops take no shit from the people. If this had happened in the west, there would be a lot more casualties.

Rioters went bananas instigated by 本土民主前線

Hong Kong media groups unite to condemn violence against journalists | South China Morning Post

Hong Kong media groups unite to condemn violence against journalists
At least four people were attacked while covering the Mong Kok riot, and a

Chinese-language newspaper says one of its journalists was assaulted by police officers

Police stand guard as rubbish bins burn on a street in Mong Kok. Photo: Edward Wong
The city’s media industry was shaken by the violence directed against journalists, at least four of whom were attacked, in Mong Kok on Monday night.

The Hong Kong Journalists Association expressed anger that “troublemakers” had tried to block reporters and photographers from doing their job at the scene.

“There is no place in Hong Kong for the resolution of political or other differences within our community through violence,” the association said. “Least of all, wanton attacks on members of the media whose job is to inform our people what exactly is happening on our streets and in our community without fear or favour.”

The Hong Kong Press Photographers Association joined in the condemnation: “Different viewpoints should be respected. We believe ideologies and opinions should be expressed rationally instead of through violence.”

The News Executives’ Association urged police to thoroughly investigate the riots and help “safeguard the core values of Hong Kong, including freedom of the press and rule of law”.

TVB, condemning violence against its journalists, reported that one of its cameramen was injured while trying to fend off an attack by a masked man who tried to stab him with a broken glass bottle.

RTHK also condemned the violence and said one of its journalists had his recording equipment destroyed by a rioter.

A Cable TV cameraman was hit on the head by a brick.

Chinese-language newspaper Ming Pao issued a statement to express shock and regret after one of its journalists was allegedly assaulted by police officers while covering the riots.

The newspaper said its reporter had been watching the events from the upper deck of a bus stopped on Nathan Road when he was ordered by police officers to get off the vehicle and produce his press pass. Even though he complied, the reporter was “treated violently by officers at the scene”, the newspaper complained, leaving him with hand and head injuries that required stitches in hospital.

I'm not complaining about Chinese police at all. Why do you think that???? I think they are doing a great job. You are completely missing the point of my posting. Read post #3 again.

Sounds good to me!

Are you serious? Police shutdown some street food/trinket vendors and people get angry...and you think this is a western conspiracy?? Does the typical Hong Kong resident have a weak mind and can be manipulated with the snap of the finger?

Well, i remember couple of years ago there was a "occupy" movement in Tokyo. One of the organizers was a foreigner fluent in Japanese. So yea ....

Well, i remember couple of years ago there was a "occupy" movement in Tokyo. One of the organizers was a foreigner fluent in Japanese. So yea ....

You got me....! :ashamed:

Though to be fair I was only there 'cause I heard that there was free Saki and Sashimi being served there ! :oops:

Is this picture from Afghanistan? NO, it's from Ferguson USA!
Afghanistan? You are emotional, it was violent yes but that's an exaggeration comparing it to Afghanistan. Hamartia clearly stepped on your toes.

Anyways, I found Mong Kok fishball kind of humorous. :-) Hope riots get taken care of.

If HongKong Police lost control of riots, im sure PLA soldiers in HongKong will appear on streets.

First the government will cut off HongKong internet.
This was what the western want, HK Police is capable enough to handle those rioters. Those Rioters were organized and prepared, I suspect this was not a random riot and protest.

That's the difference between our Hong Kong police and American police. The American police will just shoot you straight away.

Ironically Americans still like to lecture us even during the time when Ferguson was basically in a state of civil war. :disagree:

Is this picture from Afghanistan? NO, it's from Ferguson USA!

Ferguson_police_tear%20gas_08182014.jpg

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

aww you think you have the moral high ground?? comparing a Asian riot to a African American riot. did you not watch the live streams of Ferguson?? the police never shot or beat anyone. if anything you can find video of these peaceful protesters looting and setting businesses on fire.

do you think Asian culture and American culture is the same??

would Asian police handle Americans any different?? you can only bend a rubber band back so far before it snaps, I would bet Chinese police would beat the crap out of these thugs over here or even shoot them under the same circumstances

On the scene at Mong Kok madness: South China Morning Post reporter’s first-hand account | South China Morning Post

On the scene at Mong Kok madness: South China Morning Post reporter’s first-hand account
The Post’s reporter covering the scene describes what he heard and saw as a protest about street vendors escalated into violence

Hearing not one but two gunshots in the early hours of the morning and over a dispute involving street vendors was not what I would imagine seeing on the streets of Mong Kok.

I had never seen nor heard a policeman use his gun before in my life. So when a police officer entered my peripheral vision early Tuesday morning, whipping out a gun poised to be fired from his hands, I honestly did not foresee what would come next.

“Bang!” The first shot rang out. It took a while for my brain to register what he had done, but soon came the second shot.

What ensued was six hours of full-on clashes between police and protesters, marked by an intensity far exceeding that of the Occupy protests just 15 months ago that I had covered as a rookie reporter.

A burning smell permeated the streets of Mong Kok as the protesters set fire to rubbish and trash bins – first at Sai Yeung Choi Street South, and then additional bins on other streets.

Black smoke billowed and pierced the sky, vaulting over homes lining Soy Street, the last location where protesters lit a fire before they were dispersed.

If the sight of a Hong Kong policeman firing live ammunition into the sky felt alien, it was just as jarring to see protesters scour for materials from their immediate surroundings to launch assaults in defiance.

e94724dc-cefe-11e5-a371-05d2ff0b4d8d_486x.jpg
Bricks broken in half were thrown at police officers. Photo: Chris Lau

Some protesters – many clad in black masks and hoodies – dismantled sign poles, including one bearing the words ‘Soy Street’. At one point, an object flung by protesters shattered through the windows of a police car parked on Nathan Road. The sounds of shattering glass and police sirens seemed to envelop the neighbourhood all night.

For journalists accustomed to covering protests, the atmosphere had never felt more hostile. One group of cameramen and reporters was prevented from taking videos of how various objects were set ablaze. My own attempt to record how bricks were removed from the pavement was also met with an intimidating warning by protesters.

ee761878-cefe-11e5-a371-05d2ff0b4d8d_486x.jpg

The tension built up on Monday evening over an attempt to clear street vendors on Portland Street. Photo: Chris Lau

But we are not spared by others either. A policeman in Police Tactical Uniform was heard shouting at journalists that he would arrest them.

The incident started on Monday night shortly after 10pm, when police were called in to Portland Street where a crowd of people allegedly blocked a taxi that tried to leave the scene. Earlier officials from the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department had called the police when they were hit by objects when they tried to clear the area of unlicensed hawkers, the spark that had turned the crowd rowdy and prompted the protesters emerged to the fore.

The crowd became more and more agitated, as rumblings grew that hawkers had in previous Lunar New Year celebrations been able to operate on the streets without fear of being caught and punished.

Police arrived but left after , and the crowd resumed buying street food on the pavement.

Witnesses on the scene were therefore puzzled when police returned later in the evening, as vehicular traffic was flowing.

For a brief moment, an opportunity to avoid a full-blown confrontation emerged as a police negotiator approached Ray Wong Toi-yeung, leader of the localist group Hong Kong Indigenous. Wong had started to issue orders to his followers as the situation intensified, offering to cut a deal to let the hawking continue as long as the activities proceeded peacefully.

But the deal was scuppered as the agitated crowd surrounding them began shouting in Cantonese “we don’t trust you”, directing their venom at the police.

Eventually, police reinforcements massed on Portland Street, pushing the crowd out to the larger thoroughfare Argyle Street.

Curiously, there was almost no police presence on Argyle, a major artery that was occupied during the Umbrella Movement. It was as if the police had not thought the protesters who started on Portland Street might try to take over Argyle Street.

The two shots were fired minutes later after the police officer I saw out of the corner of my eye, joined by a few of his few colleagues, rushed to Argyle. What he would discover was that the street had already been partially occupied. His fellow policemen were fast being outflanked by the gathering crowd on Argyle, who were busy throwing bricks, stones and traffic cones at the men in blue.

I left the scene at 8.30am, the smell of smoke still in the air, and debris slowly being cleared by an army of cleaners.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom