What's new

Hong Kong marchers demand China uphold democracy pledge

JayAtl

BANNED
Reaction score
_68478980_68478979.jpg

Tens of thousands of people have marched in Hong Kong to demand China honour promises to hold fully democratic elections in 2017.

Crowds braved pouring rain for the annual pro-democracy rally, on the 16th anniversary of the former British colony's handover to China.

Marchers called for universal suffrage and criticised the leadership of the current chief executive, CY Leung.

Hong Kong's top official is currently chosen by a group of 1,200 electors.

Earlier Mr Leung said that the Hong Kong government was committed to introducing full democracy by 2017.

peaking at a ceremony on Monday, he described "implementation of universal suffrage for the chief executive election in 2017" as a "major task" for the Hong Kong government.

"We hope that people holding different views can set aside their differences and seek consensus as far as possible in an accommodating, pragmatic and peaceful manner," he added.

He said consultations on deciding the scope of the elections would begin "at an appropriate time".

However, pro-democracy activists say progress on reform has been slow and fear interference in the nomination process from Beijing.

The BBC's Juliana Liu in Hong Kong says they want a commitment that the nomination process will be fair, and that candidates not perceived as loyal to the Chinese government will stand a chance.

"The right to elect a chief executive is a basic political right, which we have been denied for many years," said pro-democracy lawmaker Albert Ho. "We can't afford to wait any longer."

Continue reading the main story
“
Start Quote

I am here to fight for democracy and freedom”

James Lam
Pro-democracy protester
Hong Kong profile
1997: Hong Kong handover
Hong Kong's activists
Hong Kong currently has a complex voting system with only some seats in the Legislative Council chosen by the public. Mr Leung was elected last year by a small group of electors largely loyal to Beijing, our correspondent reports.

Pop concert
Organisers said they expected up to 400,000 people to take part in the march.

Protesters gathered in Victoria Park on Hong Kong Island, before starting the march to Central, Hong Kong's main financial district.

Two hours after the rally had started, there were still new protesters entering the park to join the march, Hong Kong media reported.

Participants could be heard shouting "CY Leung step down" and "protect Hong Kong".

One protester, James Lam, said: "I am here to fight for democracy and freedom. If Hong Kong people did not come out to fight for our freedom, we would lose it in the future."

Some also held up posters calling for the release of Nobel Peace Laureate Liu Xiaobo, who is in jail in mainland China on subversion charges.

In an indication of the level of anti-China sentiment among some protesters, a number of participants held up Hong Kong's colonial flag, which was used prior to 1997, when the city was a British colony.

BBC News - Hong Kong marchers demand China uphold democracy pledge

Why don't those nutcases demand their rights when they were under the british rule then?

_68478980_68478979.jpg

Tens of thousands of people have marched in Hong Kong to demand China honour promises to hold fully democratic elections in 2017.

Crowds braved pouring rain for the annual pro-democracy rally, on the 16th anniversary of the former British colony's handover to China.

Marchers called for universal suffrage and criticised the leadership of the current chief executive, CY Leung.

Hong Kong's top official is currently chosen by a group of 1,200 electors.

Earlier Mr Leung said that the Hong Kong government was committed to introducing full democracy by 2017.

peaking at a ceremony on Monday, he described "implementation of universal suffrage for the chief executive election in 2017" as a "major task" for the Hong Kong government.

"We hope that people holding different views can set aside their differences and seek consensus as far as possible in an accommodating, pragmatic and peaceful manner," he added.

He said consultations on deciding the scope of the elections would begin "at an appropriate time".

However, pro-democracy activists say progress on reform has been slow and fear interference in the nomination process from Beijing.

The BBC's Juliana Liu in Hong Kong says they want a commitment that the nomination process will be fair, and that candidates not perceived as loyal to the Chinese government will stand a chance.

"The right to elect a chief executive is a basic political right, which we have been denied for many years," said pro-democracy lawmaker Albert Ho. "We can't afford to wait any longer."

Continue reading the main story
“
Start Quote

I am here to fight for democracy and freedom”

James Lam
Pro-democracy protester
Hong Kong profile
1997: Hong Kong handover
Hong Kong's activists
Hong Kong currently has a complex voting system with only some seats in the Legislative Council chosen by the public. Mr Leung was elected last year by a small group of electors largely loyal to Beijing, our correspondent reports.

Pop concert
Organisers said they expected up to 400,000 people to take part in the march.

Protesters gathered in Victoria Park on Hong Kong Island, before starting the march to Central, Hong Kong's main financial district.

Two hours after the rally had started, there were still new protesters entering the park to join the march, Hong Kong media reported.

Participants could be heard shouting "CY Leung step down" and "protect Hong Kong".

One protester, James Lam, said: "I am here to fight for democracy and freedom. If Hong Kong people did not come out to fight for our freedom, we would lose it in the future."

Some also held up posters calling for the release of Nobel Peace Laureate Liu Xiaobo, who is in jail in mainland China on subversion charges.

In an indication of the level of anti-China sentiment among some protesters, a number of participants held up Hong Kong's colonial flag, which was used prior to 1997, when the city was a British colony.

BBC News - Hong Kong marchers demand China uphold democracy pledge

Why don't those nutcases demand their rights when they were under the british rule then?

If they are nutcases,, what does it make you for living in the lap of democracy but asking others to be ruled like sheep?

If they have same intensity and intention, they should have done that the same way when Hongkong was under british rule.

A lot of them really mis-interpret China's not-acting as soft and weak.

You can ask for your democracy. However, putting up the tibet separtists' flag is a big No-No.

Whatever you do, you should not do anything that help separate your country.

Moreover, british ruled hongkong for a lot longer than current CCP. What british has not given them, they want CCP to give them in 16 years???

If they are nutcases,, what does it make you for living in the lap of democracy but asking others to be ruled like sheep?

If they have same intensity and intention, they should have done that the same way when Hongkong was under british rule.

A lot of them really mis-interpret China's not-acting as soft and weak.

You can ask for your democracy. However, putting up the tibet separtists' flag is a big No-No.

Whatever you do, you should not do anything that help separate your country.

Moreover, british ruled hongkong for a lot longer than current CCP. What british has not given them, they want CCP to give them in 16 years???

I ask again, what does it make you if you are demanding that they should not demand while you "separated" from your country and live in the lap of democratic luxury! you can put up any flag in your house in the US , yet you demand them not to...

These scumbags remained silence in the case of Snowden, how convenient. :coffee:

They had protests over that too , maybe you were busy enjoying a lovely democratic day in Canada and missed it...

I live at U.S. and there is democracy in U.S.

If I go back in China, I take what is given. As for democracy, China is totally different from U.S. China will be on a different path from U.S. either. I do not depict that China will be one day the same as U.S. considering China's history. Though Hongkong was under western rules for certain time, however, that does not mean China will model HongKong the same way as the west.

HongKong will be kept the same system unchanged for 50 years but none has guarantee it will be the same after 50 years, though I think it won't change much even after 50 years.

As for the type of "democracy" those protesters demand, well, as what I have said, where are they when british ruled hongkong? What british did not give them, they ask CCP to give them instead???

CCP can only go along step by step. You want CCP to grant them west-like democracy overnight??? I do not think so.

As for the tibet sepratist' flag, it must have hit the nerve of CCP... I really do not think doing so help their causes.

I ask again, what does it make you if you are demanding that they should not demand while you "separated" from your country and live in the lap of democratic luxury! you can put up any flag in your house in the US , yet you demand them not to...

They had protests over that too , maybe you were busy enjoying a lovely democratic day in Canada and missed it...

In a big country like China, there will always be small groups of people with various opinions, life choice, etc. So I don't know what's the big deal. Remember we even had a traitor “中书行” back in Han Dynasty 100BC that defected to help Xiongnu to invade his own country!

The only difference noways is the news media will always pick up those actions and opinions by small groups of people, b/c they are news-worthy, while the silent majority is not newsworthy. Outsiders and even people among the majority will then read news and generalize. Well, that's what's happening in China. One food poison incidence was dramatized and led to belief that all food in China is unsafe! etc, etc.

No need to be defensive, just accept that other people have different opinions than you. The question is whether they represent the majority.

Back
Top Bottom