What's new

Hillary Clinton: Reliance on China makes Taiwan vulnerable

Raphael

Reaction score
Country
China
Reliance on China makes Taiwan vulnerable: Clinton - Taipei Times

Former US secretary of state Hillary Rodham Clinton said the government’s push for closer cross-strait ties could lead to Taiwan losing its economic and political independence and becoming vulnerable to over-reliance on China, according to an interview in the next edition of the Chinese-language magazine Business Weekly.

Widely expected to make a run in the 2016 US presidential election, Clinton made her position on the Taiwan-China relationship clear in the interview, which was conducted in Los Angeles on Thursday last week.

Citing Ukraine’s relations with Russia as a cautionary tale, she advised Taiwan’s leaders to be careful, or Taiwan might lose its current political independence.

“Economic independence goes with political independence,” she said. “How far can you go before you lose your economic independence? Because it will affect your political independence.”

Economic opportunities mean there are growing cross-strait connections and now Taiwan has arrived at “a turning point,” she said.

“Now you have to decide how dependent economically you become… How ... do you handle the [cross-strait] relationship, if you say this far, but no farther?” Clinton said. “That will put pressure on you from China, if they want more, but you have to make these evaluations based on what you think is in the long-term interest of Taiwan.”

It may be difficult for Taiwan to strike a good balance with China, because “it will be harder and harder, because the demands from China will grow, because [China] is growing so much,” she said.

Taiwan should proceed with caution, as decisions made now could have “unintended consequences,” she said, adding, “you have to look five years, 10 years from now on, to see if that’s where you want to end up.”

She reiterated the US’ support for Taiwan.

“We have been willing to support Taiwan in many ways, [even] against China’s objections, and we will continue to do so,” she said.

The interview is reportedly Clinton’s first one-on-one with a Taiwanese media organization, and the first time she has stated her position on cross-strait development.

Hillary has a point. I always have been saying this. International markets need to distance themselves from Chinese markets so when China crossed the red line, effective military action can be taken against China combined with a boycot.
This lady hilarious is a sexual sadist and she loves terrorist supporter, be careful.

Last edited:
China will be punshed for their sins. As this article indicates economic interest from the west are moving away from terrorist communist China to friendlier countries. A small step but the effects of this will be major. Everybody will be more free acting against China and their aggression and the crimes they are commiting. Exciting times.

@Hu Songshan
Requesting a thread ban for the agitator. This is an important topic concerning how a future Clinton administration might approach the China-Taiwan balance. I don't want it to be derailed any further.

Requesting a thread ban for the agitator. This is an important topic concerning how a future Clinton administration might approach the China-Taiwan balance. I don't want it to be derailed any further.
I didn't derail anything. As the mods can see I only commented on-topic. Others have also noticed the misuse of the Chinese mod. I think he continues to limit free speech he will be replaced.

I didn't derail anything. As the mods can see I only commented on-topic. Others have also noticed the misuse of the Chinese mod. I think he continues to limit free speech he will be replaced.

Your post suggests different.
China will be punshed for their sins. As this article indicates economic interest from the west are moving away from terrorist communist China to friendlier countries. A small step but the effects of this will be major. Everybody will be more free acting against China and their aggression and the crimes they are commiting. Exciting times.

Please refrain from trolling.

Do you want Turkey's fate to be like that of the uighur ?

Your post suggests different.

Please refrain from trolling.
You can give me all warnings you want, but you want be able to change China's destiny. I was posting on topic, not derailing. That is my last post for this thread.

Cheers.

You can give me all warnings you want, but you want be able to change China's destiny. I was posting on topic, not derailing. That is my last post for this thread.

China punished for it's sins a topic for another time stick to the topic without trolling.

China punished for it's sins a topic for another time stick to the topic without trolling.
That one sentence is not trolling. I'm going to report this in HQ because Chinese members are saying much worse things on this forum about Turks and they don't get a warning. If you look majority of my text was on-topic and you can't deny that.

That one sentence is not trolling. I'm going to report this in HQ because Chinese members are saying much worse things on this forum about Turks and they don't get a warning. If you look majority of my text was on-topic and you can't deny that.

Correct the entire post is, report it if you must, I don't mod the entire forum if you have a complaint report it. I've looked at your post which is flamebait troll post, however if we must discuss your text China is already moving from low level manufacturing as cost get higher of course they will move away, the west will however retain economic cooperation with China.

Correct the entire post is, report it if you must, I don't mod the entire forum if you have a complaint report it. I've looked at your post which is flamebait troll post, however if we must discuss your text China is already moving from low level manufacturing as cost get higher of course they will move away, the west will however retain economic cooperation with China.
You called my post flame bate. I only said what Clinton was thinking when saying "US will distance themselves from Chinese economy". They are distancing themselves from Chinese economy because it will be more likely they can retaliate towards China if economic interest are divided. So yes, it will be more likely US/Japan and others will punish you for your sins if you attack Vietnam for example because their economy is not attached to China. I still stand behind this because this is what Clinton is thinking in this article. You seem to want to censor everything like in China and see everything as a troll post.

@atatwolf

I understand you are arguing with the mod right now. After that, please stick to your word. You have very little honor. Don't destroy the little that is left.

I want a team of chemists to analyze Hilary's facial cells, because if she could say this with a straight face, then those cells must be made of at least tank-armor grade material.

Back
Top Bottom