Country
Bangladesh
High Court bars use of Hindi songs as mobile ringtones, welcome tunes -
bdnews24.com

High Court bars use of Hindi songs as mobile ringtones, welcome tunes
Supreme Court Correspondent, bdnews24.com

Published: 2015-07-09 19:53:40.0 BdST Updated: 2015-07-09 20:55:12.0 BdST

• HC.jpg

The High Court has banned the use of Indian or other sub-continental film songs as ringtones or welcome tunes in mobile phones.

The court ordered 'abstention’ from the use of songs and tunes from Hindi movies, Indian Bangla movies and movies from any other country in the Indian subcontinent as Value Added Services (VAS) of the mobile-phone operators.

The bench of justices Farah Mahbub and Kazi Md Ejarul Haque Akondo issued the order with a rule after hearing a writ petition on Thursday.

Petitioner’s lawyer Mehedi Hasan Chowdhury said the court issued the rule asking why the use of those songs and tunes as VAS offered by the operators should not be declared illegal.

Secretaries to culture, information, home and law ministries, BTRC chairman and all operators in the country were asked to reply within four weeks, he said.

Music Industries Owners Association President AKM Arifur Rahman and General Secretary SK Shahed Ali filed the petition last month.

After Thursday’s order, lawyer Chowdhury said, “Import policy bars the import of Indian or sub-continental films to Bangladesh. That is why songs of those (films) can’t be used as welcome tune or ringtone.”

Deputy Attorney General Amit Talukder represented the state in the court.

High Court bars use of Hindi songs as mobile ringtones, welcome tunes -
bdnews24.com

High Court bars use of Hindi songs as mobile ringtones, welcome tunes
Supreme Court Correspondent, bdnews24.com

Published: 2015-07-09 19:53:40.0 BdST Updated: 2015-07-09 20:55:12.0 BdST

• HC.jpg

The High Court has banned the use of Indian or other sub-continental film songs as ringtones or welcome tunes in mobile phones.

The court ordered 'abstention’ from the use of songs and tunes from Hindi movies, Indian Bangla movies and movies from any other country in the Indian subcontinent as Value Added Services (VAS) of the mobile-phone operators.

The bench of justices Farah Mahbub and Kazi Md Ejarul Haque Akondo issued the order with a rule after hearing a writ petition on Thursday.

Petitioner’s lawyer Mehedi Hasan Chowdhury said the court issued the rule asking why the use of those songs and tunes as VAS offered by the operators should not be declared illegal.

Secretaries to culture, information, home and law ministries, BTRC chairman and all operators in the country were asked to reply within four weeks, he said.

Music Industries Owners Association President AKM Arifur Rahman and General Secretary SK Shahed Ali filed the petition last month.

After Thursday’s order, lawyer Chowdhury said, “Import policy bars the import of Indian or sub-continental films to Bangladesh. That is why songs of those (films) can’t be used as welcome tune or ringtone.”

Deputy Attorney General Amit Talukder represented the state in the court.

Don't your courts have any other issues of pressing nature. I understand cultural invasion of bollywood films is corrupting your youth and your general public. You should ban internet too because they can see bollywood on youtube.

Talk about paranoia and inferiority complex :lol:

There is no paranoia. They just don't feel that the influence of a trashy and cheap culture like Bollywood helps anything.

Newsflash - We have Bangladeshi culture which suits us better than Bollywood culture any day of the week.

And I have never heard of this Bangladeshi Katy Perry. In my whole life....

Bengali are good with singing and music, but Bangladesh has been barren land for talent so far. Therefore they need to put Indian music in their phone ringtones. :lol:

Don't your courts have any other issues of pressing nature. I understand cultural invasion of bollywood films is corrupting your youth and your general public. You should ban internet too because they can see bollywood on youtube.

Welcome to La La Land.

There is no paranoia. They just don't feel that the influence of a trashy and cheap culture like Bollywood helps anything.

Newsflash - We have Bangladeshi culture which suits us better than Bollywood culture any day of the week.

And I have never heard of this Bangladeshi Katy Perry. In my whole life....
Come on we all know that Bangladesh doesn't have any culture of it's own.Every advancement in so called Bengali culture took place due to the efforts of the real Dharmic Bengalis like Raja Ram mohan ROy,Rabindranath Tagore,Saratchandra Chatterjee,Bankim chandra Chatterjee etc.You guys just borrowed our culture and language and hence there is nothing to be proud of when it comes to your "culture and traditions":coffee:!!

Bengali are good with singing and music, but Bangladesh has been barren land for talent so far. Therefore they need to put Indian music in their phone ringtones. :lol:

Welcome to La La Land.
You're one to talk a population of 1 billion and counting but you struggled against Bangladesh, sorry LaLa land in a game of sticks and stones. A country that will always be compared to Pakistan on an international level. If anything India is a county filled with 'sperm waste'.

Come on we all know that Bangladesh doesn't have any culture of it's own.Every advancement in so called Bengali culture took place due to the efforts of the real Dharmic Bengalis like Raja Ram mohan ROy,Rabindranath Tagore,Saratchandra Chatterjee,Bankim chandra Chatterjee etc.You guys just borrowed our culture and language and hence there is nothing to be proud of when it comes to your "culture and traditions":coffee:!!

Suffice it to say Bangladeshis have borrowed many influences from many parts of the world. And your 'Dharmic Bengali' contribution is only a small part of it and is thankfully no longer important in today's Bangladeshi culture.

Bangladesh is doing fine as a secular modern state Thank You - with enough sensitivity toward all types of religions including Islam.

Contrary to what they brainwash you with at the RSS shakha - you don't have to be a Racist Hindu to have talent or to have contribution to 'Indian culture'.

Talking about classical Bengali culture - that Bankim Chandra idiot was a first-class Muslim hater. Racist of the first degree. He called all Muslims 'mlecchas'. Nice of you to put him on a pedestal. Early Racist and probably worshipped in your local RSS shakha.

Don't call Rabindranath 'dharmic'. His family and him were founding fathers of the 'Brahma Samaj' and were the least racist of all Hindus. They were not even 'narrow-minded' Hindus in the true sense. Their philosophy was a lot broader than that.

Read some history please...

My point was that India has a lot better culture and principles to offer to us than these racist ideologues like Bankim and their hate-philosophies. Also - keep your trash Bollywood culture to yourself.

Bangladeshis have contributed to your classical music that you know very little about. Ever heard about Ustad Alauddin Khan? He is the founder of the Maihar Gharana tradition of Indian Music.

He was awarded the 'Padma Vibhushan', India's second highest civilian honour in 1971, and prior to that in 1954, the 'Sangeet Natak Akademi' in India awarded him with its highest honour, the Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship for lifetime contribution to Indian music.

His son Ali Akbar Khan was born in the village of Shibpur, Nabinagar Upazila, Brahmanbaria , in present-day Bangladesh, (then Comilla, East Bengal), to renowned musician and teacher, Allauddin Khan and Madina Begum. Soon after his birth, Khan's family returned to Maihar (in present day Madhya Pradesh, India). Ali Akbar Khan was also awarded the 'Padma Vibhushan' and was nominated for five grammy awards.

Allauddin Khan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your best movie lyricist S.D. Burman and his son R.D. Burman were all originally from Comilla, Bangladesh (members of the Tripura Royal family).

Many of the Bengali Hindu film actresses in India had Bangladeshi family connections originally. Suchitra Sen is a good example.

Even today the best Rabindra Sangeet singer is from Bangladesh (Rizwana Chowdhury).

Now tell me she has to be 'dharmic' to sing 'Rabindra Sangeet'??

If we see something good in any culture - we have the right to adopt and enjoy it. And without becoming Hindu - I might add.

Last edited:
Suffice it to say Bangladeshis have borrowed many influences from many parts of the world. And your 'Dharmic Bengali' contribution is only a small part of it and is thankfully no longer important in today's Bangladeshi culture.

Bangladesh is doing fine as a secular modern state Thank You - with enough sensitivity toward all types of religions including Islam.

Contrary to what they brainwash you with at the RSS shakha - you don't have to be a Racist Hindu to have talent or to have contribution to 'Indian culture'.

Talking about classical Bengali culture - that Bankim Chandra idiot was a first-class Muslim hater. Racist of the first degree. He called all Muslims 'mlecchas'. Nice of you to put him on a pedestal. Early Racist and probably worshipped in your local RSS shakha.

Don't call Rabindranath 'dharmic'. His family and him were founding fathers of the 'Brahma Samaj' and were the least racist of all Hindus. They were not even 'narrow-minded' Hindus in the true sense. Their philosophy was a lot broader than that.

Read some history please...

My point was that India has a lot better culture and principles to offer to us than these racist ideologues like Bankim and their hate-philosophies. Also - keep your trash Bollywood culture to yourself.

Bangladeshis have contributed to your classical music that you know very little about. Ever heard about Ustad Alauddin Khan? He is the founder of the Maihar Gharana tradition of Indian Music.

He was awarded the 'Padma Vibhushan', India's second highest civilian honour in 1971, and prior to that in 1954, the 'Sangeet Natak Akademi' in India awarded him with its highest honour, the Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship for lifetime contribution to Indian music.

His son Ali Akbar Khan was born in the village of Shibpur, Nabinagar Upazila, Brahmanbaria , in present-day Bangladesh, (then Comilla, East Bengal), to renowned musician and teacher, Allauddin Khan and Madina Begum. Soon after his birth, Khan's family returned to Maihar (in present day Madhya Pradesh, India). Ali Akbar Khan was also awarded the 'Padma Vibhushan' and was nominated for five grammy awards.

Allauddin Khan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even today the best Rabindra Sangeet singer is from Bangladesh (Rizwana Chowdhury).

Now tell me she has to be 'dharmic' to sing 'Rabindra Sangeet'??

If we see something good in any culture - we have the right to adopt and enjoy it. And without becoming Hindu - I might add.

i am agree with you.......i live 4 year in Chittagong.....and i do understand what you are trying to convey

What is more important for us is to, limit or stop Indian satellite channels. I dont know why that is not happening.

Could it be that they are too popular? What is their ratings?

I dont know if there is any rating system in BD. But Indian serials are very popular. And its just bad influence and killing people's precious time especially women folks. We should ban the daily soaps specially. Like the Pakistani channels are banned.

Back
Top Bottom