What's new

Hazrat Ayesha's Age at Marriage.

AgNoStiC MuSliM

ADVISORS
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
This is an issue I started thinking about after I read arguments, that used the more widely reported age of nine, to attack Islam and, Mohammed specifically. The argument is basically that a child of that age is obviously a "child", and therefore to consummate any sort of physical relationship with someone at that age is morally wrong, not to mention the physical and emotional trauma that the child would be subjected to.

Therefore if we consider such acts "immoral" today, how could a prophet of God commit an act that would not be moral for "all time"? I personally subscribe to the argument that Hazrat Ayesha's age is incorrectly reported as being 6/9, and as this gentleman argues, was more likely 16 or 17.

Question:

What was Ayesha's (ra) age at the time of her marriage?​

It is normally believed that she was nine years old at the time of her marriage with Mohammad (sws) was consummated. I do think it was according to the traditions of the Arab culture, as otherwise people would have objected to this marriage. But unfortunately, the modern day man is not satisfied with an answer as simple as that.

Answer:

To begin with[1], I think it is the responsibility of all those who believe that marrying a girl as young as nine years old was an accepted norm of the Arab culture, to provide at least a few examples to substantiate their point of view. I have not yet been able to find a single reliable instance in the books of Arab history where a girl as young as nine years old was given away in marriage. Unless such examples are given, we do not have any reasonable grounds to believe that it really was an accepted norm.

In my opinion, the age of Ayesha (ra) has been grossly misreported in the narratives of the incident. Not only that, I think that the narratives reporting this event are not only highly unreliable but also that on the basis of other historical data, the event reported, is quite an unlikely happening. Let us look at the issue from an objective stand point. My reservations in accepting the narratives, on the basis of which, Ayesha's (ra) age at the time of her marriage with the Prophet (pbuh) is held to be nine years are:

Most of these narratives are reported only by Hisham ibn `urwah reporting on the authority of his father. An event as well known as the one being reported, should logically have been reported by more people than just one, two or three.

It is quite strange that no one from Medinah, where Hisham ibn `urwah lived the first seventy-one years of his life has narrated the event, even though in Medinah his pupils included people as well known as Malik ibn Anas. All the narratives of this event have been reported by narrators from Iraq, where Hisham is reported to have shifted after living in Medinah for seventy-one years.

Tehzeeb al-Tehzeeb, one of the most well known books on the life and reliability of the narrators of the traditions ascribed to the Prophet (pbuh) reports that according to Yaqub ibn Shaibah: "narratives reported by Hisham are reliable except those that are reported through the people of Iraq". It further states that Malik ibn Anas objected on those narratives of Hisham, which were reported through people of Iraq (Vol. 11, pg. 48 - 51).

Meezaan al-Ai`tidaal, another book on the narrators of the traditions of the Prophet (pbuh) reports that when he was old, Hisham's memory suffered quite badly (Vol. 4, pg. 301 - 302).

According to the generally accepted tradition, Ayesha (ra) was born about eight years before Hijrah. However, according to another narrative in Bukhari (Kitaab al-Tafseer) Ayesha (ra) is reported to have said that at the time Surah Al-Qamar, the 54th chapter of the Qur'an , was revealed, "I was a young girl". The 54th Surah of the Qur'an was revealed nine years before Hijrah. According to this tradition, Ayesha (ra) had not only been born before the revelation of the referred Surah, but was actually a young girl (jariyah), not even only an infant (sibyah) at that time. Obviously, if this narrative is held to be true, it is in clear contradiction with the narratives reported by Hisham ibn `urwah. I see absolutely no reason that after the comments of the experts on the narratives of Hisham ibn `urwah, why should we not accept this narrative to be more accurate.

According to a number of narratives, Ayesha (ra) accompanied the Muslims in the battle of Badr and Uhud. Furthermore, it is also reported in books of hadith and history that no one under the age of 15 years was allowed to take part in the battle of Uhud. All the boys below 15 years of age were sent back. Ayesha's (ra) participation in the battle of Badr and Uhud clearly indicates that she was not nine or ten years old at that time. After all, women used to accompany men to the battlefields to help them, not to be a burden upon them.

According to almost all the historians Asma (ra), the elder sister of Ayesha (ra) was ten years older than Ayesha (ra). It is reported in Taqreeb al-Tehzeeb as well as Al-Bidayah wa al-Nihayah that Asma (ra) died in the 73rd year after hijrah[2] when she was 100 years old. Now, obviously if Asma (ra) was 100 years old in the 73rd year after hijrah, she should have been 27 or 28 years old at the time of hijrah. If Asma (ra) was 27 or 28 years old at the time of hijrah, Ayesha (ra) should have been 17 or 18 years old at that time. Thus, Ayesha (ra) - if she got married in 1 AH (after hijrah) or 2 AH - was between 18 to 20 years old at the time of her marriage.

Tabari in his treatise on Islamic history, while mentioning Abu Bakr (ra) reports that Abu Bakr had four children and all four were born during the Jahiliyyah - the pre Islamic period. Obviously, if Ayesha (ra) was born in the period of jahiliyyah, she could not have been less than 14 years in 1 AH - the time she most likely got married.

According to Ibn Hisham, the historian, Ayesha (ra) accepted Islam quite some time before Umar ibn Khattab (ra). This shows that Ayesha (ra) accepted Islam during the first year of Islam. While, if the narrative of Ayesha's (ra) marriage at seven years of age is held to be true, Ayesha (ra) should not even have been born during the first year of Islam.

Tabari has also reported that at the time Abu Bakr (ra) planned on migrating to Habshah (8 years before Hijrah), he went to Mut`am - with whose son Ayesha (ra) was engaged at that time - and asked him to take Ayesha (ra) in his house as his son's wife. Mut`am refused, because Abu Bakr had embraced Islam. Subsequently, his son divorced Ayesha (ra). Now, if Ayesha (ra) was only seven years old at the time of her marriage, she could not have been born at the time Abu Bakr decided on migrating to Habshah. On the basis of this report it seems only reasonable to assume that Ayesha (ra) had not only been born 8 years before hijrah, but was also a young lady, quite prepared for marriage.

According to a narrative reported by Ahmad ibn Hanbal, after the death of Khadijah (ra), when Khaulah (ra) came to the Prophet (pbuh) advising him to marry again, the Prophet (pbuh) asked her regarding the choices she had in her mind. Khaulah said: "You can marry a virgin (bikr) or a woman who has already been married (thayyib)". When the Prophet (pbuh) asked about who the virgin was, Khaulah proposed Ayesha's (ra) name. All those who know the Arabic language, are aware that the word "bikr" in the Arabic language is not used for an immature nine-year old girl. The correct word for a young playful girl, as stated earlier is "Jariyah". "Bikr" on the other hand, is used for an unmarried lady, and obviously a nine year old is not a "lady".

According to Ibn Hajar, Fatimah (ra) was five years older than Ayesha (ra). Fatimah (ra) is reported to have been born when the Prophet (pbuh) was 35 years old. Thus, even if this information is taken to be correct, Ayesha (ra) could by no means be less than 14 years old at the time of hijrah, and 15 or 16 years old at the time of her marriage.

These are some of the major points that go against accepting the commonly known narrative regarding Ayesha's (ra) age at the time of her marriage.

In my opinion, neither was it an Arab tradition to give away girls in marriage at an age as young as nine or ten years, nor did the Prophet (pbuh) marry Ayesha (ra) at such a young age. The people of Arabia did not object to this marriage, because it never happened in the manner it has been narrated.
What was <i>Ayesha's</i> (ra) Age at the Time of Her Marriage to the Prophet (pbuh)?

Social norms or contemporary times i dont care what ever you name it!!! i think its pretty much proved that Ayesha(RA) was not nine years old but she was a young lady ready for undertaking marital relationship.

cheers,

I don't understand how does it matter.

Who cares what anyone thinks?

Why has is it be proved to anyone?

Is anyone decreed as the moral custodians of the universe and who has laid down the yardstick?

Is anyone decreed as the moral custodians of the universe and who has laid down the yardstick?

If not from a theological perspective, then from a social perspective, with Muhammad's "sunnah" being the example for Muslims to emulate, it is an important question to address.

While one would wish otherwise, the reality of religion's hold over the masses cannot be denied. In such a situation, such issues must be clarified - too many people resort to justifying child marriages by resorting to such interpretations.

AM,

Fine.

I understand it from that point of view!

Makes good sense!

:) indeed Sir who cares if some most anti-Islam and those who have hearts and minds filled with hatred against Islam and they can not see realities, say things like that.

But Sir it is indeed needed to address this question as Agnostic said to closed the pouring of BS from mouths of such moroons :).

i had seen even most experinced and senior persons who act like one on different forums

While one would wish otherwise, the reality of religion's hold over the masses cannot be denied. In such a situation, such issues must be clarified - too many people resort to justifying child marriages by resorting to such interpretations.

Well Agno i dont think so child marriages can be justified by atleast religiouse figures by this interpretation.
as
1. In Islam a girl can only be married if she has reached Puberty and it is also scientifically proven that when gal reaches that age she can bear kids right??

So there is no question of childhood in that case no matter if the girl is 10years old or 15 if she reached that age she is marriagble.

So there is no question of childhood in that case no matter if the girl is 10years old or 15 if she reached that age she is marriagble.

Jana, You are a woman right.
So without thinking that the prophet was involved in this case, the present legal marriageable age of 18(in India) is just an arbitrary number, I agree with that, but at the same time,

do you believe that a girl of 10-15 years is ready for marriage? What will the psycological pressures and long term effects on a girl at such age?
Think about an younger sister/daughter/neighbor around you of that age and answer the question.

Does only puberty decide the marriageability of a child? A male might be able to start at around the same age too, but is he ready?
Is just reproducing the singular aim of marriage?

My answer for all the questions is no and I am not talking about any moral values and such things over here.

Jana, You are a woman right.
So without thinking that the prophet was involved in this case, the present legal marriageable age of 18(in India) is just an arbitrary number, I agree with that, but at the same time,

do you believe that a girl of 10-15 years is ready for marriage? What will the psycological pressures and long term effects on a girl at such age?
Think about an younger sister/daughter/neighbor around you of that age and answer the question.

Does only puberty decide the marriageability of a child? A male might be able to start at around the same age too, but is he ready?
Is just reproducing the singular aim of marriage?

My answer for all the questions is no and I am not talking about any moral values and such things over here.

i was just answering the question of marrying a gal at that age and not the other aspects.

Now coming to your point in almost all the Islamic countries that age is same 18 years.

secondly i had seen gals being married and well off with regards to all other aspects so indeed they can do it.

But now coming to the aim of marriage well idont say that is the only aim and i am also not talking about morality here so lets take the example of such relations between boys and girls in the West ( I am not talking about morality here but just pure medical point of view).

NOw see there we can see young gals as young as age of 12 or 13 having sexual relations with boys now no matter they are not married legally but the actions are the same which married people perfrom so here in this case though they dont produce kids but are going through all such process of married life so what you say about this ???
Does this not affect them psychologically ???
If than why dont anyone question this practice

If not from a theological perspective, then from a social perspective, with Muhammad's "sunnah" being the example for Muslims to emulate, it is an important question to address.

The sunnat was to wed off any woman once she crossed into puberty. Some girls cross puberty at an early age and all descriptions of Ayesha at the time points to this possibility.

The real AGE of Ayesha would be never known as recording dates of birth were unheard of in Muslim cultures. Heck even my dad only roughly knows his DOB, his elder bros aren't even sure of the year.

DOBs as my parents tell me were normally decided by your first school.

But considering a mid-teen Ayesha even married the Prophet, then its still quite unusual when compared to today's time. However history shows that Ayesha did not suffer any psychological damage or anything. She is the source of the bulk of the Hadith. I believe over 50&#37;, might be wrong.

She was also very happily married, more so than the Prophet's other wives at the time. In a way her early marriage to the Prophet saved much of the Islam as we know it today. She was the best student of Islam and the Prophet taught her the most and she later passed it on.

If the marriage was against her will or if she ever felt suffocated in the marriage to the Prophet she wouldn't have carried on his legacy. She turned out to be a very commanding woman, even commanded a war and participated in a battle.

By no indication in history she was a weakling pushover oppressed individual. Yes Arab tradition was such that the fathers got to decide who the daughter gets married to.

This btw does not set the sunnat of marrying young women. Of all the Prophet's wives, 10/11 were 17 and above. Save Aysha and Safiya, the rest weren't exactly even young heck most were widows and we all know Khadija was twice his age (who the prophet was really in love with, even Aysha was jealous of his fond memories of her).

With due respect to all who would require nothing less than some sort of modern day 'register of births and deaths' for a definitive proof - there are other means of reasonably ascertaining the age of Hazrat Ayesha PBUH, at the time of her marriage.

Firstly, when in doubt, use Al-Quraan the Furqan (the Criterion) - it should have the answer. Don't just read it, think into it - that's what is prescribed in the Holy Quraan.

The issue of Hazrat Ayesha’s PBUH marriage age is an old one and has been well debated elsewhere. And it could be solved simply by taking guidance from the Furqan - (The Prophet PBUH could not have practiced otherwise) - as I put it to you below - OR it could become so problematic that we could argue about it forever.

The Holy Quraan (HQ) states principles, and sets just a few boundaries (not to be transgressed). Hence we have very few definitive Quraanic laws actually prescribed in the HQ. But we can use these Quraanic principles to solve any problem, at any age, by thinking into the HQ.

So let us think! Marriage being described as a contract between two willing parties requires of each party to be competent enough to enter into this solemn contract.
Now, by just reading the HQ would not provide you with the exact numeral for marriageable age, but thinking into it has simply solved this problem - so simply . Even a simple person can easily deduce from the above Quraanic principle, that in order to enter into a contract of marriage, the parties should be of consenting age. Does your common sense tell you that a girl of 6 would have attained that age? The answer is obviously NOT. Having a daughter myself, I thought, pondered and researched this subject a lot, and have come to the conclusion (through historical triangulation) that Hazrat Ayesha's PBUH age at marriage was between 16-19. There are references galore - but if you are really keen, I should let you do your own research.

Now, there is a hard way to find an answer to this very simple question (if you are ever likely to!), and that would take you through the maze and quagmire of Fiqha, and in some instances, various versions of Ahadith attributed (rightly or wrongly) to our beloved prophet Mohammad PBUH (all authored / compiled some century and half (or more) after the death of the Prophet PBUH. What I described as maze /quagmire, Mirza sahib of Qadiyan (take 'sahib' for civility rather than respect) described as "pitari".

You simply wish what results you desire, put your hand in the "pitari", and bingo, you have the desired evidence!

Being in the west for a very long time, I remember, in early days, Christian v Muslim debates taking place with Quraan v Bible as subject matter. You can guess who used to win these debates.

Then, these people got clever, and the discussions changed from Quraan v Bible to Ahadith/Fiqha v Bible. No prizes for guessing who lost every argument there after. By using this "pitari" the same Western debaters were now not only able to win arguments against the Muslims, but were even taunting our beloved Prophet PBUH, the one described in HQ as mercy to the mankind, naoozobilla a "paedophile", and a lot worse. The book "Rangeela Rasool" was written using material from some of these so called Muslim references - or "pitari".

Now, if you have problems, don’t run to your blinkered Mullah for help, as the poor fellow is too ignorant to be of any use to you. Read Allama Iqbal, if you wish to know more about Mullah.

NOw see there we can see young gals as young as age of 12 or 13 having sexual relations with boys now no matter they are not married legally but the actions are the same which married people perfrom so here in this case though they dont produce kids but are going through all such process of married life so what you say about this ???
Does this not affect them psychologically ???
If than why dont anyone question this practice

I would say that teens of that age having sex is just as condemnable and troubling - no proper sense of repercussions, risks, consequences you may have to live the rest of your life with. Of course I am generalizing, but I do believe that the majority of kids of that age are not mature enough to be dealing with "sex", let alone the entire gamut of issues that come with marriage.

And a disclaimer to everyone, I am not trying to present this as a huge issue that bedevils the Muslim world - child marriages occur in almost every culture, and indeed the rates of young teen sex in the West present a huge problem as well.

So lets please keep the, "this culture does this, and that culture does that" comments out of the discussion please (none so far, so thats a good thing).

The sunnat was to wed off any woman once she crossed into puberty. Some girls cross puberty at an early age and all descriptions of Ayesha at the time points to this possibility.

The real AGE of Ayesha would be never known as recording dates of birth were unheard of in Muslim cultures. Heck even my dad only roughly knows his DOB, his elder bros aren't even sure of the year.

DOBs as my parents tell me were normally decided by your first school.

But considering a mid-teen Ayesha even married the Prophet, then its still quite unusual when compared to today's time. However history shows that Ayesha did not suffer any psychological damage or anything. She is the source of the bulk of the Hadith. I believe over 50&#37;, might be wrong.

She was also very happily married, more so than the Prophet's other wives at the time. In a way her early marriage to the Prophet saved much of the Islam as we know it today. She was the best student of Islam and the Prophet taught her the most and she later passed it on.

If the marriage was against her will or if she ever felt suffocated in the marriage to the Prophet she wouldn't have carried on his legacy. She turned out to be a very commanding woman, even commanded a war and participated in a battle.

By no indication in history she was a weakling pushover oppressed individual. Yes Arab tradition was such that the fathers got to decide who the daughter gets married to.

This btw does not set the sunnat of marrying young women. Of all the Prophet's wives, 10/11 were 17 and above. Save Aysha and Safiya, the rest weren't exactly even young heck most were widows and we all know Khadija was twice his age (who the prophet was really in love with, even Aysha was jealous of his fond memories of her).

I had to laugh while reading the DOB issue with your parents. Mine are the same way. They don't remember their wedding date either, so a few years ago they just picked two dates out of a hat - one for their joint birthdays, and the other for their wedding anniversary.

They are not even sure of the exact day of my own birth, and the way the choices fall, I'm either a Sagittarius or a Scorpio - I go with the better horoscope on the day.

My siblings were lucky though, since they were born in Mid East hospitals and DOB certs. were required, and my parents know the amount of time between our births, so at least I can be confident of the year I was born in.

Back to the topic, I am not at all suggesting that H Ayesha was in any way "oppressed" or "hurt" - by all accounts the companions, friends and spouses, of the prophet were extraordinary people, but I am questioning the veracity of the traditional viewpoint, that at least I grew up with, that she was of such a young age.

But perhaps the issue needs to be addressed at a more basic level first - what is the "right" age for marriage? Is it puberty? Or should we simply designate an arbitrary age, by which we consider most girls to have mentally and emotionally developed to the point where they can be expected to deal with both the process that leads to, and the act of, being wed. But for some, justification boils down to what Muhammad did, so the question of Ayesha's age should be tackled at the same time.

I personally cannot see solely using the age a girl attains puberty as being the definition of an "acceptable age". Whether or not a girl is biologically ready to consummate the marriage, and some research shows that their is no "physical harm", necessarily. from having sex in early puberty, the vast majority are not emotionally ready, and lack the maturity to make the right choices, and I would argue that leaves them open to exploitation.

With respect to your comment about "Sunnah", I am confused, I thought that Sunnah was whatever H Mohammed did. If H Ayesha was indeed 9 when she was married, how can that not be considered an "example set by the prophet"? I have come across some so called "learned men of Islam" who have justified the practice based on that interpretation.

By the way, for a really jarring and tear jerking experience, watch the movie "Osama".

I believe it was the first movie out of Afghanistan after the invasion, and contrary to what the title and setting suggest, it is not at all about OBL, but does touch the subject of "Child Brides", and the impact of the gender discrimination practiced by the Taliban.

I am producing a reply as it is given to a muslim from South Africa regarding the same matter which he asked to Jamaat-e-Islami, Pakistan:

Question:

Assalamu alaikum

I am part of a study group & we meet weekly to read texts on the life of the prophet (s). Last night we read that the prophet (s) married Aisha (ra) at the age of 6 years and that the marriage was consummated when she was 9 years old. Could you please sketch the background/context to this event? Secondly, how should we deal with questions from non-Mulsims regarding this marriage & the apparent young age of Aisha when marriage contracted (at age 6)?

Best regards and Shukran jazilan.

Dr Faadiel Essop
Cape Heart Center, UCT Medical School, Cape Town, South Africa
September 08, 2000

ANSWER:

Dear Dr Faddiel Essop! Wa alaikum assalam.

In the loving and brotherly manner that you approach this Website, compels me never to let any of your query go not adequately answered - and to the best of my knowledge. Yet, the issue you raised - or the like, which attempt to question the seerah, and behaviour of the Prophet of Islam (Sall Allah-o-alaihe wa sallam) makes me sad, and I find it hard to discuss. Why, because, as a Muslim, I have accepted it first and foremost that Muhammad (Sall Allah-o-alaihe wa sallam) was the prophet of Allah and never said or did anything without clear Divine sanction and permission - Ma yantiqo anil hawa'; in huwa illa' wahyun yooha' - al-Qur'an - that: he (the Prophet) never said (or did) anything of his own liking, but what was revealed to him. That being the position I never dare to question what the Prophet did and why. I wished you had avoided this marriage or age question related to the beloved wife of the Prophet (Sall Allah-o-alaihe wa sallam) who, according to Ha'kim (Mustadarak) was shown to him in his dream by an angel saying: A'isha is your wife. This means the marriage was ordained by Allah Himself.

Having said the above, let me give you in sufficient detail how the marriage of Ai'sha (the Mother of the Faithful) was conducted. To begin with let me first caution how over the centuries, the narrow-minded malicious bigots made the Prophet's married life their most favoured target subject. They overlooked all the ground realities, the urgency and necessities and made the age or number of wives of the Prophet their central point of interest. We need to remember that when the adversary feels defeated on all fronts, the last resort is the area of character-assassination. That is what the hypocrites (Abdullah bin Ubai) and the Jewish clergy initiated right during the life time of the Prophet, and their friends continued it todate.

I feel sick, but let me quote a few so that you understand the seriousness of the subject:

(1) Philip Schaff states in the History of the Christian Church: Muhammad was a slave of sensual passion. The motive of his excess in polygamy were his sensuality which grew with his years, and his desire for male offspring.

(2) Gibbon writes in his Decline and Fall of Roman Empire: In his private conduct Mohammad indulged the appetites of a men and abused the claims of a Prophet.

(3) Gustav Weil writes in his History of the Islamic Peoples: Muhammad's harem occupies a conspicuous place in the Qur'an... It shows how easily the Prophet, in matters sensual, was carried away by his passions.

(4) Will Durant states in his Age of Faith: Women and power were his only indulgences.

(5) Nabia Abbot states in her work A'ishah the Beloved of Muhammad: Muhammed, the prayerful and perfumed prophet of Islam was avowedly a great lover of ladies.

For refutation of these wild allegations of sensuality leveled against the Holy Prophet we can do no better than quote the considered views of various other Western scholars who are not carried off their feet by prejudice and bias. We also quote the views of certain otherwise bigoted writers, who could not help but admit the high moral character of the Holy Prophet and the real motives which prompted him to marry more than one wife. We divide the life of the Holy Prophet into four periods as under:

(1) Life up to the age 25 years.
(2) From 25 years to 50 years.
(3) From 51 years to 54 years.
(4) From 55 years to 63 years.

We deal with the first part of the life up to the age of 25.

The Holy Prophet was born in a society which may be called a 'free society' where there was no bar to having extramarital relations. The Prophet was very handsome and well-built too. However, his youthful life up to the age of 25, when passions are very strong, presents a spectacle of very chaste and unblemished moral life. No critic Eastern or Western has been able to raise his little finger of scorn in this period of his life.

Observations of some Western scholars about the high moral character of the Prophet before his marriage to Khadija (R.A.) are worth nothing: Sir William Muir, a very hostile critic admits: "All authorities agree in ascribing to the youth of Mahomet a modesty of deportment and purity of manners rare among the people of Mecca".

P. de Lacy Johnstone writes in his work "Muhammad and His Power: "He enjoyed a high character among the citizens and nothing stands against his name".

Rev. Marcus Dods states in his work Mohammad, Buddha and Christ: His unmarried youth had been exceptionally pure".

Emile Dermengham records in his Life of Mahomet: "Mahomet's youth has been chaste".

Let us come to the second period of the Prophet's life from 25 years to 50 years.

At the age of 25 he married Khadija (R.A.) who was 40 years old. Before her marriage to the Prophet she had been married twice and had children born out of these unions. The Prophet remained wedded to her for full 25 years and all his children except Ibrahim (born to Maria, the Copt) were born to her. Their married life was a model of conjugal happiness, and deep affection.

The Prophet did not marry any other wife till Khadija lived.

Leon Nemoy writes in the Universal Jewish Encyclopaedia: Undoubtedly a marriage of convenience (Khadija on her part needed an energetic and experienced businessman to manage her mercantile interests) it developed, however, into a nearly ideal companionship of affection and mutual respect. Mohammed took no other wives during Khadija's lifetime and ever thought of her in terms of deep gratitude.

Rev Hughes records in his classic Dictionary of Islam: The house of Mohammad and Khadija was bright and happy one and their marriage fortunate and fruitful.

The Holy Prophet used to praise Khadija (R.A.) very much. A'isha (R.A.) said that she felt very jealous and said once to the Prophet. "Has not Allah given you a better wife than her?" The Prophet got very angry and said, "By Allah, He has not given me a better wife than her. She became a Muslim when others disbelieved in me. She testified to my truthfulness when others called me a liar. She gave me all her wealth when others made my life miserable. She bore me children when I did not have children from my other wives".

See just two remarks on the happy conjugal life of the Prophet with Khadija:

Emile Dermengham states that the Prophet "remained faithful to one wife much older than himself for a quarter of a century".

John Davenport records in his An Apology for Muhammad and Koran: Mohammed's gratitude to her (Khadija's) memory survived her to his latest hour.

We now come to the third period of the Holy Prophet's life from 51 to 54 years.

After the death of Khadija, Khawla bint Hakim suggested to the Prophet that he should marry. When the Prophet enquired as to with whom she proposed his marriage. She suggested Sauda bint Zam'a and A'isha bint Abi Bakr (R.A.). The Prophet agreed to the proposition. Sauda was married and Ayesha, being a minor was simply betrothed. Sauda was the widow of Sukran b. Amr, one of early followers who had emigrated to Abyssinia to escape persecution at the hands of Quraish.

Sauda was widow of mature age. She came in the Prophet's household three years before the Hijrah and remained with him for four years as his only wife.

About her marriage with the Prophet W. Montgomery Watt writes: In the case of Saudah, whom he married in Mecca, the chief aim may have been to provide for the widow of a faithful Muslim.

Sir William Muir states about this marriage: From the time of their marriage shortly after the death of Khadija she continued to be for three or four years the only wife of Mahomet.

So the Holy Prophet had only one wife up to the age of fifty four, and there was nothing sensual in contracting marriage with Sauda bint Zam'a (R.A.).

Lastly we study the Prophet's marriage with A'isha (R.A.)

A'isha was the only virgin wife of the Holy Prophet. At the time of her betrothal she was minor girl of about seven years of age. Some scholars do insist that she was older but most agree she was either 6 or 7 when betrothed, and she was delivered to the Prophet about one year after Hijra, during the month of Shawal.

Sir William Muir, while speaking about Prophet's marriage with Sauda, writes about the marriage with A'isha in these words: "About the same time he contracted a second marriage with Ayesha, the young daughter of Abu Bakr &#8211; a connection mainly designed to cement the attachment with his bosom-friend. The yet undeveloped charms of Ayesha could hardly have swayed the heart of Mahomet".

Washington Irving admits: Perhaps he (i.e. the Prophet) sought, by this alliance, to grapple Abu Bekr still more strongly to his side.

Rev. W. Montgomery Watt states: Since Muhammad had a political aim in nearly all his marriages, he must have seen in this one a means of strengthening the ties between himself and Abdu Bakr, his chief follower.

It is admitted by all scholars that A'isha occupies a prominent place amongst the most distinguished traditionists and hundreds of traditions are recorded as having been reported by her from the mouth of the Prophet. She was often consulted on theological and juridical subjects.

That shows why the Prophet under Divine inspiration was eager to accept A' isha into his harem at that age. No other person could have proved that useful for his Mission.

So in this marriage with A'isha there was a desire to cement the bonds of friendship with Abu Bakr as well as the desire for propagating the teachings of Islam, particularly delicate matters relating to women folk.

It appears that the Holy Prophet must have noticed early the precocious nature of A'isha. So in this marriage with A'isha nothing of the sensual was involved.

You might be knowing what is usually said about the marriage of Zainab bint Jahsh - the cousin of the Prophet (Sall Allah-o-alaihe wa sallam) and widow of Zaid ibn Ha'ritha. The Qur'an first says: "Zawwajna kaha" i.e. "We (Allah) gave her in marriage (to Muhammad). Then the reason is noted: that Zainab was NOT the wife of Muhammad's son, as he had no sons. Zaid was only 'adopted". The Arab considered that a prohibited category. So the custom had to be changed by the Prophet himself, as no other one could effectively do that after him. Similar is the case of Umm al Momineen A'isha (R.A.). For a bad omen, Arab considered Shawwal a month prohibited for marriage. A'isha's betrothal and departure from her parent's house took place in Shawwal. This changed the ridiculous custom. Another bad custom was that the Arabs did not give the hands of their daughters to those who they "called" their brothers (though were not actual brothers). This was the objection raised by Abu Bakr himself, when the Prophet made the proposal. The Prophet (Sall Allah-o-alaihe wa sallam) then told him that a brother in faith was not an actual blood brother to be placed in the prohibited category.

Lastly, my own personal opinion is that A'isha's marriage (consummation at the age of 9 to 11) indicates that if health condition and body vigour permit, there will be no "legal bar" (religiously speaking) on age, but it will certainly not be binding as well to go for young age marriages. Afterall, the Prophet (Sall Allah-o-alaihe wa sallam) never ordered or suggested that his followers should marry young maidens.

I hope this lengthy treatment of the subject matter will satisfy most who are eager to know the facts and reasons. The few ****** minds will not stop creating "Satanic Verses". We leave them to the harsh judgement of Allah - Maalik-i-Yaum ad-Deen.

M. Haq

JI: Marriage of Ayesha (RA) with Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h.)

Back
Top Bottom