What's new

Hard times in Lollywood

linkinpark

Reaction score
Hard times in Lollywood

According to Mahmood Butt, the executive producer and 41-year veteran of Evernew Studios, Lahore’s sole functioning film studio, the Pakistani government’s decision last year to ease a 43-year ban on screening Indian films sounded the death knell for the city’s cinema industry.

Known collectively as “Lollywood”, two decades ago 11 studios averaged a production schedule of roughly 120 films per year, with cinemagoers filling the more than 1,700 theatres across the country. Today, Evernew struggles to produce 30 films for less than 200 decaying venues.

“Indian films are made with budgets of millions,” Butt says. “Ours are only about 100,000 Pakistani rupees (Dh4,600). We cannot compete. The number of Lollywood films being made is decreasing due to investment loss because only two or three films a year ever make a profit. Otherwise, they nearly all screen at a loss.

“I used to have hope. Now I am just disappointed. We are using ancient equipment. Our cameras are more than 30 years old. We’re over three generations behind in all forms of technology. Bollywood and Hollywood are using DTS sound – we’re still using mono.”
Butt also blames inexperienced financiers who have taken over the industry – people with money to burn who are content to make one generic movie after another. “Twenty years ago the people making films were educated. Now the uneducated are destroying what is left of Lollywood. The financiers who are funding more than 90 per cent of the films coming out of Lollywood are making purely formula movies,” he says.
Nearly all films produced in Pakistan are financed by the Gujjars – a wealthy family whose money comes from the dairy industry who often provide backing for films with salacious and violent content.

“Unfortunately we have not changed the type of films we have been making,” Butt says shaking his head. “The only way to recover Lollywood is to get back to making family films, comedies and social films.”
Movies filled with buxom, gyrating, gun-toting women and sweaty, moustache-twirling bad guys grace decrepit theatres across the country and attract an audience mainly comprised of working-class men from rural areas. Women are never seen in cinemas as the films’ content and theatre conditions have all but driven families away. They choose to stay at home, enjoying the far cheaper option of watching high-quality Hollywood and Bollywood movies on pirate DVD.
Aslam, a 25-year-old cinemagoer, stands outside one of the larger cinemas in Lahore, clutching his ticket to a recent Indian blockbuster. He only has time to visit the cinema two or three times a year and wishes that more Pakistani films were being made.

“I want to see more love stories,” he says. “I would never take my family to see a Gujjar film,” he says.

Small venues have also suffered thanks to the demise of Lollywood. Between the declining quality and quantity of Pakistani productions, not to mention the higher prices charged to screen Western and Indian films, hundreds of theatres have had to close their doors. Now their audiences flock to technically advanced cinemas with the resources and finances to screen imported films.
Shabbir Hussain, a 49-year-old old projectionist from the Odeon Cinema in Lahore, says that his employer can only afford to screen western movies and now even has to forgo Indian celluloid. Showings have declined to just three per day and Hussain spends much of his time sleeping between two 50-year-old projectors that belong in a museum rather than a functioning 21st-century cinema.

“Fortunately they still make spare parts,” says Hussain, referring to the tools of his trade. “But we barely have the resources to show modern films. I am worried about the film industry. I worry for my family and my children. I only know this job.”
There are further casualties. Pakistan’s film industry spent more than 60 years scouting out a steady supply of movie heroines and musicians from the Hira Mandi area, in Lahore’s Old City. Today, it has descended into a cesspit of drugs, gangsters and violence.

“About 25 years ago, all the women came from Hira Mandi,” says Butt.“Most were talented and also many of the musicians who performed on the films’ soundtracks were from there. Nowadays, people there are not so qualified.”
Away from the city’s hardscrabble back alleys, others are also losing their livelihoods. The new trend for computer-generated posters has driven traditional billboard painters out of business.

An art form unto itself, the Lollywood billboard is a dying medium. Productions facing severe cost cuts can no longer afford six-metre, hand-painted billboards to adorn the local cinemas.

“Ten years ago, the business was huge. But now it has it has declined,” says Mohammed Ajimal, one of Lahore’s most respected billboard artists. “Computer posters have taken over, the billboards have finished completely. The last one I painted was almost a year ago.”
Ajimal’s hand-painted billboards used to take up to three weeks to paint, with four or five people working on them, and cost upwards of 65,000 Pakistani rupees (Dh3,000).

“We halved our prices just to be able to compete with these computer posters. It’s a total loss,” he says. “At least three people in my field have stopped painting altogether. I am just surviving, but it will probably end soon. I used to love to paint the stars’ faces on these billboards – the bigger the better. I loved recreating the colour, the detail and the light. I felt good. Now I just feel tired.”
Ajimal’s movie billboards were his main source of income. Now he only does requests – portraits and simple paintings mostly.

“God gives me just enough to survive,” he says. “But this other work is child’s play. Work for artists in Pakistan is disappearing. If I cannot paint, I am dead. Painting is the only way I know I am alive.”

Some in the industry believe Lollywood is experiencing a slump from which it will recover. Others, however, claim that its days are numbered. “Film is the best entertainment,” Butt declares, “but when this studio closes, Lollywood will be finished.”

These people have no one to blame but themself if u have same story for 120 movies 500lbs:rofl: heroin running around the street no one in there right mind will pay to see that.
if indian movies fill up cinemas and bring in revenue to the government i am all for it.

the main problem with lollywood is we dont get actors and actresses. now one would lik to see their children kissing each other in a movie. goes against the culture and islamic values. there have only been few gud movie as far as i remember which had some gud story line and didnt have to do with love and all that.
coz of this bollywood is a gud alternate for those who lik love story kind of movies.

Lollywood has no Islamic values.

I come from a Gujjar family, and believe me some Gujjars are jokers and dont take anything seriously they enjoy cheap stuff, but some, like my family, are educated and know lollywood is not Pakistani culture its just the mindset of uneducated people working in a farm in gujranwala.

Lollywood needs to show true Pakistani culture of people all across Pakistan, not just gujranwala.

Iran has a very good film industry and their movies are mostly based on Islamic values, you never see women dancing in Iranian films.

lollywood is a bull industry
good movies like khuda ke liye etc should not associate themselves with lollywood [i dont think they do; they seem to just call it pakistani cinema]

what is wrong with women dancing?

when u see a girl dancing in one of ur bollywood movie, what do u see???
her steps and talent or
her a$$ and sex appeal

this is wat is wrong with women dancing.
in today's dancing, element of vulgarity is far more

lolly wood or bolly wood both are like industrialized system they are far away from "Art of cinema" - you hardly get good movies out of such system. and the one which are good are rejected by system.

when u see a girl dancing in one of ur bollywood movie, what do u see???
her steps and talent or
her a$$ and sex appeal

this is wat is wrong with women dancing.
in today's dancing, element of vulgarity is far more

Beauty or vularity is in the eye of the beholder.

Those who are desperadoes will get excited at the sight of a fully covered woman and blame her for venturing out from the home at all for their excitement!

There is nothing wrong with dance. It is an art form. Even sensual dance could be a thing of beauty.

Beauty or vularity is in the eye of the beholder.

Those who are desperadoes will get excited at the sight of a fully covered woman and blame her for venturing out from the home at all for their excitement!

There is nothing wrong with dance. It is an art form. Even sensual dance could be a thing of beauty.

but who will draw the lines. who will set the limit.
mate wat u see in movies is wat u see on ur streets. kissing and all that, where was it few years back. today my friend from north india tells me that its gettin common. someone needs to set the limit.
wat ill do in public is not only effecting me, but also effecting my society. therefore i cannot say its my freedom which allows me to do wateva i want. im free to do anything untill and unless it is not effecting my sorroundings.

to be precise our society have a limit and ur society have a limit. wats decent in ur society might be considered as vulgarity in ours

but who will draw the lines. who will set the limit.
mate wat u see in movies is wat u see on ur streets. kissing and all that, where was it few years back. today my friend from north india tells me that its gettin common. someone needs to set the limit.
wat ill do in public is not only effecting me, but also effecting my society. therefore i cannot say its my freedom which allows me to do wateva i want. im free to do anything untill and unless it is not effecting my sorroundings.

to be precise our society have a limit and ur society have a limit. wats decent in ur society might be considered as vulgarity in ours

I see your point. I think the same logic is used by the Taliban to ban music, barbers, girl schools and so on.

Once you give freaks the ability to dictate what is acceptable and good for the society, you get what you saw in Taliban rule and in Islamabad during the Lal Masjid days.

What should be acceptable or not has to be decided by institutions responsible to the state and not stray individuals through coercion.

I see your point. I think the same logic is used by the Taliban to ban music, barbers, girl schools and so on.

Once you give freaks the ability to dictate what is acceptable and good for the society, you get what you saw in Taliban rule and in Islamabad during the Lal Masjid days.

What should be acceptable or not has to be decided by institutions responsible to the state and not stray individuals through coercion.

exactly. it has to be decided by the ppl who live in that society and not by any individual. but the point being, some limit has to be set.

exactly. it has to be decided by the ppl who live in that society and not by any individual. but the point being, some limit has to be set.

There is no argument that the society has to decide what is acceptable or not. It was about people protesting about small issues like women dancing in films and ignoring far bigger issues all around us.

Why don't we let the women decide whether they want to dance or not. It remains up to us to watch them or not. If people don't like it, it won't happen.

I say that even if a few people find it distasteful (and i can bet several of them watch it when no one is watching), they should restrict themselves rather than trying to force others.

There is no argument that the society has to decide what is acceptable or not. It was about people protesting about small issues like women dancing in films and ignoring far bigger issues all around us.

Why don't we let the women decide whether they want to dance or not. It remains up to us to watch them or not. If people don't like it, it won't happen.

I say that even if a few people find it distasteful (and i can bet several of them watch it when no one is watching), they should restrict themselves rather than trying to force others.

well allowing everyone to do wateva they want is again pointing towards no limit.
if women wants to dance they can. its their choice. but if their dance is to be shown in public, that is for the society to decide. after the limit is being set, if someone wants to see all that he can watch that in private.
its lik how alchohol is in pakistan. its considered bad by the society, but u can have it in private where no one can see u (if u get access to it)
same goes for drugs. society doesnt allow u to have them in public but u can have have them in private where no one sees u from having them.

if ppl dont lik it, they wont have it
that is only true if u could assure that all the children are mature enough to decide wat is gud for them and wats not. if something is available in the society children will tend to do it coz they dont know if its gud or bad. they ll see everyone doin it and will start doin it thinkin if its something kul...
most of the children start smoking coz they think it makes them look kul. when they grow up they are so used to it that it gets difficult for them to get rid of it

ur actions effect the society and then society as a whole effects ur coming generation

Back
Top Bottom