What's new

Haneef terrorism charges dropped

Tiki Tam Tam

<b>MILITARY PROFESSIONALS</b>
Reaction score
Haneef terrorism charges dropped

Mohammed Haneef (file photo)

Mohamed Haneef had been working as a doctor on the Gold Coast
An Indian doctor has been freed from custody in Australia after charges linked to the failed bomb attacks in the UK were dropped.

Dr Mohamed Haneef was released into home detention while he awaits a decision on his immigration status.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6918569.stm

I wonder what the world feels about this case.

It does smack of high handedness as also makes Australian justice appear ludicrous!

I am still wondering how would one "recklessly support" terror?

Guess American Airlines should have been charged with "recklessly supporting" 9/11 terrorist.

Haneef is a victim here, both by the australian authorities as well as his terror cousin brothers.
Its quite sad that he is on his way to meet his new born kid, he was held up by the stupid cops.

Oh con thats a good one. I definitly want to see a huge defamation/mental torture case field against the Aussi govt.

I wonder what the world feels about this case.

It does smack of high handedness as also makes Australian justice appear ludicrous!
It became clear during the proceedings that Haneef was innocent and he was captured only on the grounds of his handy chip, discovered frm those arrested in UK.
Good thing from Autralian authoroties was that they did not torture the man and didn't forced him to any confession and he was offered fair trial. Though his life will never be same again.
Arrest on suspicion grounds is always a big question, I think any such provision in law can be easily misused.

In India recently courts have sentenced some suspects under the TADA law. What is this law any way?
I read that those who are sentenced were subjected to sever torture, and according to TADA law that's OK to arrest and torture any one. Is it correct?

Torture?

Hardly any requirement for that.

Narco analysis and brain mapping makes the third degree redundant.

More effective; torture may lead to the victim saying things that the torturer wants to hear. Brain mapping and narco analysis obviates this.

In India recently courts have sentenced some suspects under the TADA law. What is this law any way?
I read that those who are sentenced were subjected to sever torture, and according to TADA law that's OK to arrest and torture any one. Is it correct?

Where did you read that TADA law allows torture?

Any way his wife said they would never return to Brisbane again. I understand the mentle agony and trauma this family had gone through.

Kashif

Fighter Firdous smiles finally
- Grit unites wife and widow
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1070728/asp/frontpage/story_8117955.asp

&#8216;Freed&#8217; Haneef in visa wait
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1070728/asp/nation/story_8117166.asp

Case for damages exists: Lawyers
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1070728/asp/nation/story_8117168.asp

Unrepentant cops still at it
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1070728/asp/nation/story_8117169.asp

All the above are from just one day's news report.

While one is all for stamping out terrorism, yet one gets disillusioned when cases are trumped up. It does indicate that the so called civilised nations and who hector all about morality and human rights have feet of clay.

Had this case been in any Asian or African country, there would have been huge international media outrage, duly reported by our own media with hushed reverence with veiled nuances that little brown or black natives running naked in the bush, know nothing about how to govern their countries!

It is time that those who claim civilisation is their sole domain (though with scant regards to history) realise that there is a saying that goes - Doctor Heal thyself!

The handling of the Haneef case smacks of injustice, though at the same time, credit must go to the Australian public for going ballistic over Haneef's rights and ensuring justice is done!

Howard, who is first off the mat, to be a racist (remember Murlidharan's case?) has egg on his face!

First put here where you read it and what you read.

PS:Whats happening to this forum that its attracting so many weeds?

Fighter Firdous smiles finally
- Grit unites wife and widow
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1070728/asp/frontpage/story_8117955.asp

‘Freed’ Haneef in visa wait
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1070728/asp/nation/story_8117166.asp

Case for damages exists: Lawyers
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1070728/asp/nation/story_8117168.asp

Unrepentant cops still at it
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1070728/asp/nation/story_8117169.asp

All the above are from just one day's news report.

While one is all for stamping out terrorism, yet one gets disillusioned when cases are trumped up. It does indicate that the so called civilised nations and who hector all about morality and human rights have feet of clay.

Had this case been in any Asian or African country, there would have been huge international media outrage, duly reported by our own media with hushed reverence with veiled nuances that little brown or black natives running naked in the bush, know nothing about how to govern their countries!

It is time that those who claim civilisation is their sole domain (though with scant regards to history) realise that there is a saying that goes - Doctor Heal thyself!

The handling of the Haneef case smacks of injustice, though at the same time, credit must go to the Australian public for going ballistic over Haneef's rights and ensuring justice is done!

Howard, who is first off the mat, to be a racist (remember Murlidharan's case?) has egg on his face!

:undecided:

Huh ? what are you tryng to say - sorry ?

Bull could you tell more about the TADA law ?

and Batman provide the link for Proof

:undecided:

Huh ? what are you tryng to say - sorry ?

Bull could you tell more about the TADA law ?

and Batman provide the link for Proof

I read it all on BBC but it is in Urdu. This news is just tip of the ice berg.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/urdu/india/story/2007/07/070724_blast_convicts_fz.shtml

I will not translate the whole article but I will summarise few examples.
All were arrested on suspicion under TADA law in early 90's and court proceedings continued in the absence or unconcious presence of TADA victims in courts.
1- IMTIAZ, has been infected with Aids virus. Now he is been sentenced for life imprisonment.
2- IQBAL, cannot stand on his feet due to famine like conditions in his 15 years of jail history. He was not provided food and water for days.
3- Ashraf-ur Rehman, turned insane and many times in jail he had burned him self.
4- Dawood, has developed stomach ulser (a disease).
5- Sameer, has become heart and sugar patient.
6- Isa memon, has developed an unknown skin disease in which he sheds his skin and hair.
7- Yaqoob memon, has been diagnosed sever mental depression.
8- Zakir Hussain has developed TB (Tubercloses, excuse my spellings)
As a result of an operation his right hand is also disabled.
9- Qasim is unable to stand on his feet.
10- Niaz Ahmed has become unconcious many times during court proceedings and he was the youngest of all arrested.
According to medical analysis blood has been frozen in his brain. I hope some of medical guys could tell what could result this, I also wonder what would be his age at the time of arrest?
11- Ijaz pathan died in police custody.
India arrested 123 suspects under TADA law in response to a bombing incident in 1993, most of them have turned insane or developed uncureable diseases.
All those who are sentenced for execution are kept in solitary confinement where they will not see or hear any human for months untill there execution.
All above is written in the report.

P.S. In response to 1993 bombings thousand plus Muslims were killed by swords only in Bombay, by Hindu mobs and hundereds of women were raped this was sanctioned by state in the pretext of TADA law, which also give permission to the police to shoot indiscriminately, all those who found praying in the mosques and has been accepted by the Indian society. Victims will never see justice as usual becuse they are Muslims by birth.
Actually to be honest such genocides are prevelant in India since its inception and has always been down played by its biased media.
I'm not going to do any more research work for known facts and any Indian denials or discourgment are no surprise to me because that's how it goes always.

First of all Haneefs issue has been given too much publicity? Yes, Can we talk of such issues of Australian Solitary consignment when our own peoples in jail are living worst compared to ausie standard of solitary confinement? NO! This is what a high court of Delhi lambasted saying, that how much proper care we pay towards our own peoples in jail? Definitely the reforms are needed.

Now the next, Tada is not a law , its a court, Do you realise all these are what sensationalised by media and nothing else, Have they named the name of the peoples? Admited there are many against whom no evidence has been found in court or has been produced in the court not because of court but because of paltry investigation or unmindful client thus case has not developed be it in any sort of case but its never one sided case as you think it to be, a layman like you and me hardly knows what actually happens in court and it isnt exactly what happens as how media portrays things, As far as I know there has been trials of the issues you mentioned and there are hundreds of prisoners already inside. Definitely/Maybe some political figures has escaped but they are on all sides of the story and not just one, and it is not Justice denied rather Justice not framed. Justice is blind, It seeks evidence, Paltry stories that media plants stands in court or not is not/never investigated by believers like us, which is what counts. We just believe in reservation, never investigate why 29% OBC reservation has been lambasted by Supreme Court. Lastly, I'm against Capital punishment totally, and I believe India should take off capital punishment.

Haneef could face new charges: Australia

SYDNEY: Terror charges could still be laid against an Indian doctor even though the original case against him collapsed through lack of evidence, Australia’s police chief said Wednesday.

The investigation into Mohamed Haneef, who was detained for three weeks in connection with the failed British car bombings and then released, was far from over, said Australian Federal Police Commissioner Mick Keelty. Defending the police handling of the case, he denied that the investigation had been bungled. “At the moment it is quite annoying that people are saying this is a bungled investigation,” Keelty told reporters. “It is not bungled at all. It is continuing.

“It’s still potentially possible that a brief of evidence will be submitted against Dr Haneef.” Haneef’s lawyer, Peter Russo, who travelled to India with the doctor after he was freed at the weekend, was outraged by the Keelty’s remarks. “For crying out loud, it was his information that the director (of public prosecutions) relied on not to proceed with the matter,” Russo told Nine Network television.

The 27-year-old Haneef, who had been working at a state hospital in Australia, was charged with providing “reckless” support to a terror group in connection with June’s failed car bombings in London and Glasgow. The case against Haneef centred on a mobile phone SIM card found in the possession of a second cousin of his who has been implicated in the attacks.

Haneef said he had merely given the card away before moving to Australia to take up a hospital job. The case became a political issue after Immigration Minister Kevin Andrews revoked Haneef’s visa even though he was granted bail by a court and refused to restore it after the charges were finally dropped. Critics accused the government of trampling on Haneef’s rights in an attempt to appear tough on terrorism. afp

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2007\08\02\story_2-8-2007_pg4_14

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom