What's new

HAL’s Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) taking shape

arp2041

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
luhs.jpg

HAL’s In House Publication have Informed that the first Bottom Structure and Tail boom for Ground Test Vehicle of Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) has been Launched in Presence of HAL chairman and MD , it was also informed that LUH assembly Jigs are modular and gaugeless jigs , concurrently designed along with structure design using CAD 3D .

luh2r.jpg

Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) will replace the fleet of Cheetah and Chetak helicopters in Indian air force and Indian army , Both Military forces have requirements of 187 helicopters. Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) will be powered by single engined HAL/Turbomeca Shakti turboshaft, Twin engined HAL/Turbomeca Shakti turboshaft currently powers ALH Dhruv Helicopters and currently HAL and France are developing a Single engined Power House for LUH based on Shakti turboshaft.

HAL’s Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) taking shape | idrw.org

Should be ready in 2016. Otherwise order for 197 will be reduced. Foreign mall will increase.;->

One of the important points is still which engine it will use, the Shakti engine negotiations with Snecma didn't worked and then a competition should be opened, but I didn't heared anything about it since then.

One of the important points is still which engine it will use, the Shakti engine negotiations with Snecma didn't worked and then a competition should be opened, but I didn't heared anything about it since then.

Why, isn't shakti a joint development engine ?? Why we have to ask them for its use..?
How can they reject it..:angry:

Don't be so sure about the second image.

You never know if these babies come in to join the LUH:

1223.jpg

But honestly, I was thinking that HAL would have reached the testing stage by now.

Why the faq are they so slow in making the LUH which is nothing but a lighter version of Dhruv?

I mean come on, they finished making the LCH in 2 years.

Why selective speeds?

Why, isn't shakti a joint development engine ?? Why we have to ask them for its use..?

A repetitive indication that it is about time our sarkari firms focus in researching aerial propulsion rather than rely on importing engines.

Engine technology is one such tech where mastering takes years of understanding and research. And once you have it, then the airframe building can automatically happen without any tensions.

I wonder how come Kirloskar never ventured into aircraft engines. They already have a division that makes warship engines for our navy.

First of all, the Shakti engine that powers Dhruv and LCH would be to powerful for LUH, that's why Mod wanted Snecma to develop a smaller version of it, but they asked for to high costs. Secondly, we did had some parts in the development, but only a minor part because since then we hardly had any expertise and the engine is still based on the French predecessor.
Now we do what we always do, to put pressure on the French to reduce the costs, we opened a tender with international competitors, but at the end we might come back to the French again. The reason is quiet simple as well, not matter how hight the costs are, they are worth it, because no other (besides the Russians) can provide us with such quality, but also much ToT, experience and freedom to use it. Rafale, A330MRTT, Fennec, Maitri SAM based on MICA VL, all tenders won by the French and that for good reasons.

You never know if these babies come in to join the LUH

Fair enough, because it's not over until it's over, but the chances are very low. ;)

But honestly, I was thinking that HAL would have reached the testing stage by now.

Why the faq are they so slow in making the LUH which is nothing but a lighter version of Dhruv?

Why selective speeds?

Because both are very different cases, Dhruv was developed mainly with foreign assistance and the early version had also more foreign parts. LCH is mainly a re-design Rudhra, with high commonality to Dhruv in general. HAL LUH on the other side will mainly be developed by HAL and as much as possible should be developed in India, with the experience of the earlier licence productions and the Dhruv/Rudhra/LCH developments. This is the perfect way how we should have made the fixed wing developments as well, by using the advantage of access to foreign partners or techs and with a steady growth in know how and experience. Sadly we didn't and the outcome is tragic!

Btw, as I already told you, there are numerous of reasons why the Ka 226 won't win, but I still hope that HAL scraps the idea of IMRH (which is a conventional one) and joins Kamov on the Ka 92, to get some know how in NG helicopter design and techs as well.

They should have called it Light Utility National Defense Helicopter aka LUNDH :D

Pilot1: Are you riding a LUNDH today?
Pilot2: Yup!!! Love riding those LUNDHs. Always gives me a smooth ride :D

You never know if these babies come in to join the LUH:

1223.jpg

Why selective speeds?

A repetitive indication that it is about time our sarkari firms focus in researching aerial propulsion rather than rely on importing engines.

Engine technology is one such tech where mastering takes years of understanding and research. And once you have it, then the airframe building can automatically happen without any tensions.

I wonder how come Kirloskar never ventured into aircraft engines. They already have a division that makes warship engines for our navy.

with some re-designing and proper landing gears this heli can win many contracts...:pakistan:

There are Engines and there are engines. While Kirloskars are the masters of 'Diesel Engine' manufacture; they know nothing about Turbines!

Unless we can fly Aircraft/Helos with diesel engines. :)

I dont see the need for a lighter copter. The Drhuv can fly in as high as Saichen, so why not just build more Drhuvs?

I dont see the need for a lighter copter. The Drhuv can fly in as high as Saichen, so why not just build more Drhuvs?

I think the requirement is for a single-engined helo (Dhruv is 2 engines) with
lesser costs and lighter load.

Back
Top Bottom