What's new

Gun Ownership, Is it justified?

Sid said:
Who? Me? First of all, I don't own any gun and secondly, I don't live in Pakistan. Some misunderstanding I presume?

My mistake!!! It was Rahman! both you guys have eagles, it threw me off!!! I should have posed the question to him.:embarassed:

Officer of Engineers said:
Who decides who's allowed to have guns and who is not? The government? The very government elected by the people who wants guns?

Michael Moore is the best propagandist in the world.

Hes not actually, the Farenheigt (how the hell do u spell it lol) was actually terrible piece of documentary. I cringed the whole movie through when i was expecting some nice lovely eloquent attack against Bushy and getting a load of garbage.

Bowling for Columbine was pretty good.

TexasJohn said:
Possible, but gun ownership is not the root cause. It's all about social / personal issues and nutjobs. The postal dude usually has a history of prior mental disturbance. A drunk behind the wheel of a speeding car can also go nuts.

I would disagree here. Criminals will always get the firepower they want. How else will you explain countries like Somalia, Afghanistan, or for that matter even India and Pakistan? ( pardon me for that!) If the goverment cannot/ will not control criminal elements and then ban law abiding citizens from owning guns on top of that, what is the man on the street supposed to do?

Do you want him to simply say " if you are going to be raped, just lie down and enjoy it?"

I disagree to all three points, the murder rate is far higher in U.S. than in Aust. or other Western European Nation with similar levels of nutjobs. The primary reason arises due to higher prevalence of firearms.

Most firearms deaths are caused by not criminals but personal issues.....u break up with ur gf and take a gun and blow her away......stuff like that....but even then criminals do react......they do bring bigger guns and do become more trigger happy.....

I would suggest u do lie down........4 the sake of society....lol (jus joking)..........but in reality rape rates are higher (and certainly no lower) than in Aust. and other Western nations which both have lower murder rates and gun prevalence......

Sid said:
The only ones discrediting Moore are the gun-nuts who love their pieces of metal.

I love guns.......i just recently fired a shot gun, what a rush. I think it was 12 gauge, whatever that mean. Poor bird though lol.

TexasJohn said:
My wife who is from the deep South is a very good shot with a handgun and I'm glad she is capable of protecting herself. My daughter who is 19 is also learning how to shoot. I am glad they can protect themselves. I hope you don't think this makes us a bloodthirsty family - but it is pretty common down here.

How does an Indian get a girl from the deep south. I can picture an Indian with a girl from the North. Sorry for the insensitivity.

P.s. your older than I thought - I thought u were in late twenties.

[Mod Edit: Post edited. Please refrain from using excessive '...' and 'lol' as these things do NOT contribute to a mature discussion. Thnx]

sigatoka said:
How does an Indian get a girl from the deep south. I can picture an Indian with a girl from the North. Sorry for the insensitivity.

P.s. your older than I thought - I thought u were in late twenties.

[Mod Edit: Post edited. Please refrain from using excessive '...' and 'lol' as these things do NOT contribute to a mature discussion. Thnx]

It's called love, and a 26 year marriage. I never had a problem with acceptance from a redneck family.

Insensitivity can also be spelled "ingnorant". I do feel sorry for you and I hope someday you would view life differently. Please do try to have a good day tomorrow.

You are right, I'm in my 40s. Any other questions I can answer for you?

TexasJohn said:
It's called love, and a 26 year marriage. I never had a problem with acceptance from a redneck family.

Insensitivity can also be spelled "ingnorant". I do feel sorry for you and I hope someday you would view life differently. Please do try to have a good day tomorrow.

You are right, I'm in my 40s. Any other questions I can answer for you?

I dont find cross racial marriages confronting or suprising, my point was that the Deep South had a relatively recent anti-black/brown past and how that might have been difficult to overcome. Thats all i meant.

sigatoka said:
I dont find cross racial marriages confronting or suprising, my point was that the Deep South had a relatively recent anti-black/brown past and how that might have been difficult to overcome. Thats all i meant.

If that's what you meant, that's not what you said. I have lived in the deep South since I was 8 years old. How long have you lived here- or even been here? What recent black/brown past are you talking about? we have never had race riots here in Texas- that was LA! The hispanic population is about 20% here.

Please refrain from taking cheap shots at our culture or way of life. You don't see me making fun of arranged marriages or honor killings do you?

Finally, do you have anything to contribute to the topic or not? if not stay out of thhis thread!

House votes to block seizure of legal guns

By MARY DALRYMPLE, Associated Press Writer 38 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The House voted Tuesday to prevent law enforcement officers from confiscating legally owned guns during a national disaster or emergency
Republican Rep. Bobby Jindal, the Louisiana lawmaker who sponsored the bill, said firearms seizures after Hurricane Katrina left residents unable to defend themselves.
"Many of them were sitting in their homes without power, without water, without communication," he said. "It was literally impossible to pick up a phone and call 911."
The House voted 322-99 in support of the bill. Senators voted 84-16 earlier this month to include a similar prohibition in a homeland security funding bill.

The limitation would apply to federal law enforcement or military officers, along with local police that receive federal funds.
Rep. Jerrold Nadler (news, bio, voting record), D-N.Y., repeatedly called the bill "insane."

He and some Democrats said the bill might satisfy the gun lobby, but it would put people into more danger during already perilous disasters.
"The streets of an American city immediately after a disaster are no place to abandon common sense," said Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (news, bio, voting record), D-N.Y.

The Fraternal Order of Police endorsed the measure. In a letter to Jindal, National President Chuck Canterbury said law enforcement officials concentrate on search and rescue during major disasters, and breakdowns in communications and transportation can lengthen police response times to calls.
"A law-abiding citizen who possesses a firearm lawfully represents no danger to law enforcement officers or any other first responder," Canterbury wrote.
The National Rifle Association also supported the bill and has been asking police chiefs and mayors to pledge they will not forcibly disarm law-abiding citizens.
Jindal said the bill does not inhibit police from enforcing gun laws, nor does it overwrite state and local laws prohibiting people from bringing guns into shelters.
Nadler said the bill would prevent police from pickup up guns that could be seized by looters. Police and other law enforcement officials could face a personal lawsuit for picking up guns they later found to be legally owned, he said.
The bill allows the Coast Guard to require that people surrender their weapons before boarding a rescue vehicle.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060726/ap_on_go_co/disasters_guns;_ylt=AvCGyQhN6Xa95O_Rc_ceYzeyFz4D;_ylu=X3oDMTA0cDJlYmhvBHNlYwM-

Jana,

I did not think the decision would go any other way. Speaking for myself, if there is a hurricane and I can't depend on 911 or law enforcement, I'd rather have my own little chunk of insurance.

jana, I am dissappointed. Pashtuns should know better, a gun is your best defence, remember the Brits?

sparten said:
jana, I am dissappointed. Pashtuns should know better, a gun is your best defence, remember the Brits?

Oh sir the news was for American not us :)
i was just sharing the news nor supporting the collection of legal weapons.

BTW Sir Pashtuns do have guns and here in NWFP AK-47 and Klashnikoves are just like toys :biggrin:

Jana said:
Oh sir the news was for American not us :)
i was just sharing the news nor supporting the collection of legal weapons.

BTW Sir Pashtuns do have guns and here in NWFP AK-47 and Klashnikoves are just like toys :biggrin:

Jana, question for you - I hear there is a town in NWFP where gunsmiths can duplicate any weapon. What is the name of the place, and would it be safe for an outsider to be there -- with a friendly Pakistani?

Back
Top Bottom