What's new

GSLV-Mk-III to place communication satellite in orbit

sudhir007

Reaction score
GSLV-Mk-III to place communication satellite in orbit | idrw.org

The GSLV (Geo-Synchronous Launch Vehicle)-Mk (Mark)-III that is to be launched by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) for experimental purposes next year is designed to place a communication satellite in orbit, according to K. Narayana, honorary adviser and former director of the Sathish Dhawan Space Center (SDSC), ISRO, SHAR (Sriharikotta).

Inaugurating ObCom 2011, the 3-day 4th International Conference on Recent Trends in Computing, Communication and Information Technologies organised by the VIT University here on Friday, Dr. Narayana said that the communication satellites have revolutionised the communication system. Megatropiques satellite was launched by ISRO recently to measure the weather in tropics. This satellite is expected to help in tropical meteorology. The ISRO has developed a launch base of international standards.

He said that the ISRO’s maiden attempt at evolving software standards commenced in 1984 with the Software Quality Assurance Group (SDAQ) activities. Later, it standardised the guidelines for development of real-time software. A full-fledged standard was adopted in 1992 and released for implementation in all ISRO centres. It adopted the IEEE 12207 standard for ISRO software development at all centres and released the same in 2006. Dr. Narayana said that the future possibilities in ISRO include Internet access to space, space-specific protocols, interplanetary missions, space tourism and space hotels. Sankar Viswanathan, Vice-President (Administration), VIT said that 477 million people were using the Internet in China, as against 100 million in India, 98 million in Japan, 27.9 million in Vietnam and 27.4 million in Pakistan. M. Khalid, Senior Professor, School of Computing Sciences and Engineering (SCSE) said that SCSE in VIT has set up the facilities for designing various computer-based equipment including hand-held devices. China is marching ahead of India in designing computing systems.

Would the cyroget engine be indegeneous this time around??

I hope yes , we `ve been working on this engine(C-25 ??) for long time now , MK III will be another cryogenic test i believe. But i m not sure about this. I m excited ..(chest thump):victory:
GSLV Mk-3

This will be one of the biggest tests to ISRO and more importantly for the GSLV platform which is yet to see much success, MK3 version is supposed to have a payload of 10000 KG bringing it on par with the Atlas V , Delta and Titan :smitten:

With this we'll be able to launch our heavy INSAT satellites ourselves...
Waiting for the launch and hoping for complete success.

10 ton is very over rated.

See I recently got to know of the GSLV-Mk 3 specifications of every stage. I'll just post them:

Boosters:
* Stage0: 2 x GSLV-3 S200.
* Gross Mass: 2400,000 kg (554,301 lb).
* Empty Mass: 40,000 kg.
* Mass Fraction:0.83 (S125 and S139 have a mass fraction of 0.82)
* Thrust (vac): 7698 kN.
* Isp (Vac): 269 sec
* Burn time: 106-108 seconds (based on S125 and S139)

1st Stage/Core Stage:
* Stage1: 1 x GSLV Mk3.
* Gross Mass: 119,000 kg.
* Empty Mass: 9,000 kg. [based on Ariane 4 first stage data]
* Mass Fraction: 0.92
* Motor: 2 x Vikas L-110
* Total Thrust (vac): 1,600 kN.
* Isp: 300 sec.
* Burn time: 220-230 seconds. One vikas engine in the GSLV and PSLV uses 40 tons of fuel for a 160 second burn. The Mk3 allots 55 tons per engine.
* Propellants: UDMH + N2O4.

2nd Stage/ Indigenous Cryogenic Stage:
* Gross Mass: 30,000 kg.
* Empty Mass: 5,000 kg.
* Mass Fraction: 0.83
* Motor: 1 x ICE.
* Thrust (vac): 200 kN.
* Isp: 450 sec.
* Burn time: 720 sec.
* Propellants: Lox/LH2

The speculation is that it will be able to launch 10 tons to LEO and 4 tons to GSO. But I am really doubting if a rocket with this kind of thrust would have such minimal capabilities.

I compared every stage to the Ariane-5 ECA and really GSLV-MK3 outdid it in thrust. Ariane has a capability of 6-7 to GSO and about 15-18 tons to LEO.

So I really think that GSLV- Mk 3 would be a heavy lifter like the Ariane-5 and Angara. So please post the possible capability that you could think !!!!!!

My thinking is that its reduced capability is mainly due to the low burn time of the core stage !!!!!!! I

These numbers do not add up. The "2400,000 kg" Stage Zero GLOW is obviously in error. If it is supposed to be "240,000 kg", then that doesn't match the "554,301 lb" (251,384 kg) number.

The "7,698 kN" Stage Zero thrust may be correct for liftoff, but a much lower average thrust, something like 4,750 kN, is required for the burn time to match the propellant and specific impulse numbers.

The 1,600 kN Stage One thrust seems too high to me. Available propellant, burn time, and specific impulse suggests something closer to 1,400 kN, which is more in line with current Vikas capabilities.

I suspect that the dry mass of the Cryo stage would have to be less than the suggested 5 tonnes in order to achieve the reported 4 tonnes payload to GTO. I have to put it at 4 tonnes in my spreadsheet to get close to the required delta-v. With a 5 tonne dry mass, I can't even get a 3 tonne payload to GTO!

If I assume a 4 tonne dry Cryo stage mass, I can get 12.5-13 tonnes to LEO on my spreadsheet model, but this doesn't take into account the very low T/W ratio that the upper stage would provide. (Obviously the LEO payload would only be 11.5-12 tonnes for a 5 tonne dry mass Cryo stage.) A highly lofted trajectory would be needed for a heavy LEO payload. The real capability of this launch vehicle will depend heavily on its upper stage, which is providing more than 50% of the delta-v.

One possibility is that the reported 10 tonnes payload is for sun synchronous LEO.

As it stands, GSLV Mk3 looks to be roughly equivalent to a Titan 3C, LEO wise, but with better GTO performance due to the use of an LH2 upper stage.

I pray God that this should not get the fate of Surface to Air Missile .

I pray God that this should not get the fate of Surface to Air Missile .

Why do you think so? PSLV did not became a surface to air missile, did it? Can not forget last two failures but easily forgot the successes?

Why do you think so? PSLV did not became a surface to air missile, did it? Can not forget last two failures but easily forgot the successes?

Pehaps He is talking about Trishul Missile:what:

Wish u luck will celebrate once successful. This will happen, one day or other. Just inevitable.

Because GSLV is not PSLV , the success may come in to ISRO account but not in GSLV account .

I do remember the date even,after the day of Christmas when i landed in Chennai ,i got greatly disappointed after seeing a pic of blasted GSLV in train when a local guy is reading a tamil newspaper .

I want to see this 'Giant Monster' flying towards the space.

Oh Sorry! I am not American or White

I want to see this 'Giant Angle' flying towards the Space.

Because GSLV is not PSLV , the success may come in to ISRO account but not in GSLV account .

Than you must also know than GSLV mk III is totally different launcher than GSLV mk I/II. Its an all new system. At least wait for launch of the new system before calling it surface to air missile.

I do remember the date even,after the day of Christmas when i landed in Chennai ,i got greatly disappointed after seeing a pic of blasted GSLV in train when a local guy is reading a tamil newspaper .

I understood your feeling but no laucher or rocket technology is full proof. There is some problem with GSLV mk I/II, ISRO will come up up with a solution soon. They have done an excellent job so far regarding space technologies.

Back
Top Bottom