What's new

GSL to Deliver India's Largest Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV) ICGS Samarth Next Month

I have explained above the utility in larger ships over smaller ships. So whilst you may be able to get 2-3 smaller ships for the cost of 1 OPV, these 2-3 ships may a) have to remain closer to shore (not able to operate in high seas) and b) have less endurance and thus have to return to port 2-3 times more often than 1 OPV. As such you would not be able to remain "on station" for as long nor would you be able to cover the full Indian EEZ.

This is not to say the ICG needs to have all of its 300 fleet in this 2,400 ton OPV class but a mix will work to the strengths of all and allow for full spectrum capabilities.

This is why the IN is exploring Missile ships based around the IN's recently inducted OPV class.

To arm every single ICG vessel with Bhramos is cost-prohibitive and a colossal waste of resources given the ICG's mandate. De-link the ICG and IN in your mind, treat the ICG as the central government's marine police force- not another military arm.

The IN is responsible for all offensive naval power- NOT the ICG.

Agreed . But why waste such large ships for ICG. we can built missile boats along with arming those huge opv as well. It hurts to see IN ships being underarmed. See Israel corvette or Russian 2k extraordinary show in Syrian conflict. Armed with 3k cruise missile.

This discussion relates to OPVs for the Indian Navy. No one is proposing missiles for the ICG, the navy and ICG know their respective roles and are equipping themselves accordingly.

Show me any Coast Guard around the world with AShMs fitted to their patrol vessels- the moment you do so you are longer a patrol vessel but a warship.

There may actually be some international framework in this regard in terms of how you define warships and patrol vessels. A coast guard can't be a coast guard if it is armed with offensive weaponry.

The IN is not standing still itself.

Yes IN is expanding . But we are way slower than Chinese. We will have three Kolkata class and one Banglore class to match their 20+ AEGIS destroyers.

Last edited:
wait, do u really think yhat our poorly armed destroyers can stay up against chinnese destroyers ?

It will give toe to toe fight. Although we have lesser anti ship or air defence missile , still they are best in their category. They don't have anything like brahmos and barak 8. Barak 8 is developed keeping brahmos.it is sole missile in the world to intercept a supersonic cruise missile. Plus it works on principle of one hit one kill

This discussion relates to OPVs for the Indian Navy. No one is proposing missiles for the ICG, the navy and ICG know their respective roles and are equipping themselves accordingly.

Show me any Coast Guard around the world with AShMs fitted to their patrol vessels- the moment you do so you are longer a patrol vessel but a warship.

There may actually be some international framework in this regard in terms of how you define warships and patrol vessels. A coast guard can't be a coast guard if it is armed with offensive weaponry
Gal is said to be in negotiation with the ICG to carry out modifications in future OPVs so there you have it.
An ICG vessel equipped with Ashm even though you like it or not.
No matter what ICG should get what it deserves when it has 2400t vessel to protect it.
And this ideology of Indians that
'The world doesn't has such things then we should also not have it or we should also follow the world' is really perplexing for me.
If you compare our OPVs with other countries even without Ashm still they are heavily armed and can not be classified as OPVs not only because of their tonnage but their armaments too.
And this whole discussion that a member is against arming our OPVs with Ashm is really surprising and disappointing to say the least.
But then let's see what happens.

Agreed . But why waste such large ships for ICG. we can built missile boats along with arming those huge opv as well. It hurts to see IN ships being underarmed. See Israel corvette or Russian 2k extraordinary show in Syrian conflict. Armed with 3k cruise missile.

Yes IN is expanding . But we are way slower than Chinese. We will have three Kolkata class and one Banglore class to match their 20+ AEGIS destroyers.
Well India will have 3 Kolkata class+ 4 Visakhapatnam Class + 7 P-17A frigates( Aeigs is on offer for them but would likely to get same MF-STAR+ Barak-8ER and Brahmos IMO). So total 14 Aeigs comparable warships. No doubt Chinese will have more but there no need to match them one to one.

Gal is said to be in negotiation with the ICG to carry out modifications in future OPVs so there you have it.
An ICG vessel equipped with Ashm even though you like it or not.
No matter what ICG should get what it deserves when it has 2400t vessel to protect it.
And this ideology of Indians that
'The world doesn't has such things then we should also not have it or we should also follow the world' is really perplexing for me.
If you compare our OPVs with other countries even without Ashm still they are heavily armed and can not be classified as OPVs not only because of their tonnage but their armaments too.
And this whole discussion that a member is against arming our OPVs with Ashm is really surprising and disappointing to say the least.
But then let's see what happens.
I think OPVs incorporating missiles is the offer for Indian navy as they are likely to order more OPVs from GSL. Coast guards go for only 30 mm guns as primary weapon let alone missiles so Its very unlikely.

De-link the ICG from the IN, the ICG's role is NOT to be a combatant, they are a maritime law enforcement agency with a secondary role in SAR/disaster relief. As such, there is no rationale behind installing offensive weaponry onboard ICG vessels.

Jus a silly question from my side... why does a 2400ton vessel have only 30mm gun?? I mean shudn it have some more weapons? If not then whats the use of making a vessel of such tonnage...? @Didact

Jus a silly question from my side... why does a 2400ton vessel have only 30mm gun?? I mean shudn it have some more weapons? If not then whats the use of making a vessel of such tonnage...? @Didact
My opinion is that as coast guards are not meant for war( at best can support navy in other auxiliary roles) and thus there's no need to go for high end weapons as it will also raise cost and 30 mm guns are enough for anti-piracy, other patrolling roles.
Secondly its greater weight has more to do with endurance. I mean we have a vast area to patrol from east, west coasts to Andaman Nicobar Islands and surrounding areas. and thus we need OPVs which can stay for long in the sea doing that.

Yes my friend they are.
Goa Shipyard looks at building offshore patrol vessels armed with missiles - The Economic Times

Also there is a .model I am not finding it but will post if found.

Are you looking for this one ??

Goa_Shipyard_75m_OPV_DEFEXPO_2014_1.jpg

byrMGiY.jpg

This is in no way true.

And what about the (enormous) costs that go with equipping (and maintaining) an inherently defensive force with such weaponry?

Do you train (and equip) police officers to fight wars? The ICG is a law enforcement agency first and foremost, they have little conventional military applications.

Generally,the armaments on a warship add up to 10% of its build cost. I saw smth about the Brahmos costing 1.5 mn$ a pop. To arm every ICGS vessel with at least 4 is a major major INVESTMENT!Does the threat justify such a cost. Also the ICGS and Navy would first need to have a loooong sitdown to clarify each others roles clearly.

Generally,the armaments on a warship add up to 10% of its build cost. I saw smth about the Brahmos costing 1.5 mn$ a pop. To arm every ICGS vessel with at least 4 is a major major INVESTMENT!Does the threat justify such a cost. Also the ICGS and Navy would first need to have a loooong sitdown to clarify each others roles clearly.
The newest variant cost 5mn $.

India's Goa Shipyard posts strong profits in 2014-15

India's state-owned naval shipbuilder Goa Shipyard Limited (GSL) has posted positive results in fiscal year 2014-15 on the back of growing orders from domestic and international customers, it said on 30 September.

Although GSL's annual sales decreased 35% year-on-year to INR7,522 million (USD115 million), its profit after tax surged to INR782.4 million after the company posted a loss of INR611 million the year earlier. The company's value of production increased 12% to INR5,696 billion.

GSL's chairman and managing director, Shekhar Mital, a retired rear admiral in the Indian Navy, said that the company's results were indicative of its efforts to improve efficiencies and deliver boats to customers on schedule.

India's Goa Shipyard posts strong profits in 2014-15 - IHS Jane's 360

Delivered! :cheers:

GSL delivers ICGS Samarth to Indian Coast Guard

PANAJI: Keeping its promise to deliver the first in the class of new 105M offshore patrol vessels (OPV) on schedule, Goa Shipyard Limited (GSL) delivered 'ICGS Samarth' to the Indian Coast Guard on Friday.

The advanced OPV, which is also among the largest, was handed over by GSL chairman and managing director, Shekhar Mital, to commanding officer, Rakesh Pal, in the presence of principal director of the Indian Coast Guard, T P Sadanandan. "This marks a historic moment, as most shipyards fail to deliver the first ship of the class on schedule," Mital said.

The ship has been built based on an in-house design and under the supervision of the coast guard headquarters and the local coast guard base. ICGS Samarth will be the biggest ship to join the coast guard fleet when it is formally inducted by defence minister Manohar Parrikar on November 10.

This state-of-the-art OPV is the first in the class of six off-shore patrol vessels being built by GSL for the Indian Coast Guard.

Source:- GSL delivers ICGS Samarth to Indian Coast Guard - The Times of India

De-link the ICG from the IN, the ICG's role is NOT to be a combatant, they are a maritime law enforcement agency with a secondary role in SAR/disaster relief. As such, there is no rationale behind ling offensive weaponry onboard ICG vessels.

Yes no missiles. But proper guns. I don't think that a 30mm gun provides the required firepower and range. An over 50mm Naval gun. And used CIWS , AK630 from older navy frigates. CIWS is important, considering that terrorists who may try to, intrude through sea , they have had access to guided rockets and even TOW and mordren RPGs smuggled. An CIWS will ensure the safety of ships.

But yes I agree, we should keep roles of navy and coastguard seperate.

We might arm the OPVs of navy though in future.

Back
Top Bottom