What's new

Grounding A-10s will save $4.2 billion, decision ‘clear’: USAF general

Manticore

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
For months, US Air Force officials have used the adjective “hard” to describe their decision to ground entire fleets of aircraft in response to budget cuts.
Grounding A-10s will save $4.2 billion, decision ‘clear’: USAF general - 4/23/2014 - Flight Global
But on 23 April, USAF chief of staff Gen Mark Welsh says a review of the service’s options showed “very clearly” that grounding its Fairchild Republic A-10s is the right choice.

Speaking at a National Press Club event in Washington, DC, Welsh says the service evaluated a number of cost-cutting options against a “very detailed operational analyses” before making decisions.

“We came very clearly to the conclusion that of all those horrible options, the least operationally impactful was to divest the A-10,” Welsh says. “It makes perfect sense from a military perspective if you have to make these kind of cuts.”

The service’s fiscal year 2015 budget proposal, which requires Congressional approval, proposes grounding all of its roughly 300 A-10s at a savings Welsh estimates to be $4.2 billion through fiscal year 2019.

The service has said other aircraft can fill the A-10’s close-air support mission, including Lockheed Martin F-16s and F-35s.

getasset.aspx

The USAF also considered deferring more planned orders for Lockheed Martin F-35As, but Welsh says that option would drive up the cost of the programme. He adds that the service intends to continue funding other next-generation programmes like the Boeing KC-46 tanker and the long-range strike bomber programme.

Another choice was to cut the fleet of Boeing F-15C fighters beyond the current 51 aircraft on the chopping block.

“We are cutting F-15Cs, but we can’t eliminate the entire fleet or we can’t do the air superiority mission,” he says.

Reductions in funding for intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) missions and for the service’s air mobility fleet were also considered, but Welsh says those missions already face a budget shortfall.

Also on the table: grounding the entire fleet of McDonnell Douglas KC-10 tankers.

“Without the KC-10s, you could [do the job] but it would be ugly and you would not have any flexibility whatsoever,” Welsh says. “The impact of that was simply too big on all the services.”

The same savings could be achieved by cutting three times as many Boeing KC-135 tankers.

“If you take three times as many KC-135s, you flat can’t do the job,” according to Welsh.

Other options included cutting command and control funding or grounding some long-range strike aircraft.

But Welsh says the USAF is the only service that can provide command and control on a “theatre scale”, and he says the US needs 80 to 100 strike platforms in the event of a large-scale war.

“That’s about how many we have today. They are aging, but we have the right number,” according to Welsh.

The USAF has created a transition plan that Welsh says would move other “hardware” into units that currently fly A-10s, but he did not elaborate.

“If we don’t divest the A-10s from those units, the plan will come unraveled…and we will start the planning over again,” he says.

Using F16's and F35 instead of A10's will cut cost's? Sounds surprising, as the A10's lifecycle cost seems to be quite less than that f16's and F35's....

Saying that, F16's and F35 being multirole would be better consolidation of platforms, and move away from dedicated roles like close air support like the A10.... F16's and F35 can be used for air superiority, not A10's.....F16's are like tool box with varieties of tricks up their sleeve whereas A10's are just pure Hammers.

A better perspective would have been the cost to operate say a squadron of A10's for say 1000 flying hours and compare the same cost for f16 and f35, with weighted average due to multirole capabilities.

I think this posturing is part of the negotiating process between the different armed services and Congress. The A-10 is used for Army support whereas most of the concerns of the USAF are elsewhere: air superiority, space, ICBMs, etc. Thus the A-10 has almost always had to rely on support from Congress and the Army to stay alive. USAF generals have been saying stuff like this since the late '70s or early '80s, even as the new A-10 was rolling of production lines.

@Death.By.Chocolate @gambit : What is your opinion regarding this move? Is it better to have only multirole fighters, instead of dedicated ones like the A-10? Or will the cheaper cost of ownership of A-10s (compared to F-35s) negate that, and also the cost of maintaining that platform and all the personnel for it? In short, is this a good move?

And what about the move to cut tankers?

And the one to cut command posts?

About the last, I get a feeling that that would be penny wise and pound foolish.

@Death.By.Chocolate @gambit : What is your opinion regarding this move? Is it better to have only multirole fighters, instead of dedicated ones like the A-10? Or will the cheaper cost of ownership of A-10s (compared to F-35s) negate that, and also the cost of maintaining that platform and all the personnel for it? In short, is this a good move?

And what about the move to cut tankers?

And the one to cut command posts?

About the last, I get a feeling that that would be penny wise and pound foolish.
A bad move, in my opinion...

Airmen at odds with Air Force brass over future of beloved A-10 plane | PBS NewsHour
But from the perspective of some joint terminal attack controllers, no substitute for an A-10 has ever performed as well as the Warthog.

“My team has made decisions not to conduct a mission based off of the fact that we could not get A-10s to support us, even when other aircraft were offered up. This was because we knew we would make contact [with the enemy] and we wanted the best aircraft and pilots to support us,” the retired senior master sergeant told the PBS NewsHour.

“Me and my team would roll out on foot patrols with four U.S. personnel and a few Afghans to conduct raids and identify future targets for action,” he said. “We went out in [minimal] force and were confident, only because we knew we had A-10 support a radio call away.”

This former JTAC called A-10s “a force multiplier” that “gave us the confidence to take risks we would not have taken with other aircraft.”

Armed with that “flexibility,” the JTAC and his team could “conduct a number of successful missions and when things got ‘hairy,’ the A-10s were there to get us out of bad situations,” this source said. “Ask any soldier, marine, etc., what aircraft they want when things go bad? You may get some AC-130 [ground-attack gunship], but I guarantee the overwhelming response will be the A-10.”

A number of JTACs told the NewsHour they prefer to use the A-10 when striking targets that are called “danger close,” meaning that friendly forces are so nearby enemy forces that the friendlies could be hit by the bomb fragments dropped from the aircraft, or fired from other weapons.

“I generally will not employ the other types of aircraft” – like B-1s, F-15s or F-16s – “danger close, regardless of munitions, if I have other alternatives,” including the A-10 or less-commonly used Army Apache helicopters, Carpenter said. “What I need is the tank-killing gun that can engage large formations of enemy armor, vehicles or even infantry at close range.”

Carpenter, who achieved the highest enlisted rank in the Air Force, said during the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003, he even turned away aircraft that were on station overhead because he preferred to use an A-10 to attack a group of Russian-made vehicles, known by the acronym “BRDM.”
I know some of these USAF Combat Controller guys from my time at MacDill. They know the value of the A-10 in critical situations where even a single well placed/dropped bomb can make the difference between zero dead and many dead. The A-10 was a major factor in compelling the Warsaw Pact to reassess its ground tactics back in the Cold War. I am positive that the generals took everyone's concerns into discussions but if finance is the top consideration, there really is no choice but to retire the A-10.

I used to work close to home so I'd go home for lunch every day. On my way back to work, at the exact same time every day two A-10's from the Willow Grove N.A.S. would fly over me on their way down to the bombing range in the New Jersey Pine Barrens. Like clockwork.:usflag:

A bad move, in my opinion...

Airmen at odds with Air Force brass over future of beloved A-10 plane | PBS NewsHour

I know some of these USAF Combat Controller guys from my time at MacDill. They know the value of the A-10 in critical situations where even a single well placed/dropped bomb can make the difference between zero dead and many dead. The A-10 was a major factor in compelling the Warsaw Pact to reassess its ground tactics back in the Cold War. I am positive that the generals took everyone's concerns into discussions but if finance is the top consideration, there really is no choice but to retire the A-10.

Bad move indeed. A finer CAS aircraft has never taken to the skies. When it gets hot under the collar and its danger close you don't want a Strike Eagle or a Viper, you want a Warthog.

I want some A-10 man. These beasts are awesome. Growing up i would play a game, A-10 Tank Buster.

Plus the GAU-30 hot damn. The sound it makes is awesome. US is making a big mistake.

They are absolutely perfect for CAS.

:(

I think this posturing is part of the negotiating process between the different armed services and Congress. The A-10 is used for Army support whereas most of the concerns of the USAF are elsewhere: air superiority, space, ICBMs, etc. Thus the A-10 has almost always had to rely on support from Congress and the Army to stay alive. USAF generals have been saying stuff like this since the late '70s or early '80s, even as the new A-10 was rolling of production lines.
Not to mention any Brit that has written an opinion (soldiers, not foreigners) has said the A10 was the best since crunchy haggis....just sayin....

I wonder what all this fuss is about? Fast jets such as the F-35 and the F-15s are ineffective for close air support because their high speed does not allow pilots enough time to get an accurate fix on ground targets, lacking sufficient loiter time too.

The roles of F-35/F-15s are different from the A-10 which is primarily a close air support platform as well as a Forward Air Controller. Its Titanium hull is also impervious to small arms fire meaning it can loiter closer to the TBA. In fact the armor has been tested to withstand strikes from even 23 mm cannon fire and some strikes from 57 mm rounds.

In contrast, the F-35's main roles include air interdiction, electronic warfare and SEAD, with Close Air Support (CAS) to ground troops as a secondary role.

But then the proverbial conflict between the air force and army aviation is legendary. The air force always wanted complete control of the skies! And that's the bottom line.

Is there any restriction placed on A-10 for foreign sales? Can Pak get some?

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom