What's new

Global giants look to invest Rs 50,000 crore in chip-making in India

JanjaWeed

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: India appears set to get its first chip-making facility with at least two global players - IBM and STMicroelectronics - in advanced stages of talks with the government for an investment of over Rs 50,000 crore.

Both STMicroelectronics, Europe's largest chipmaker semiconductor player, and the consortium comprising IBM have indicated that they would initially invest over Rs 25,000 crore each, at least two government officers familiar with the development told TOI. Through the investment the government is hoping to not just get valuable foreign exchange but also go for import substitution.

The location has not been finalized, but top government sources said that one of the investor consortiums has indicated that it wants to set up the facility near Greater Noida, while another one has been proposed in Gujarat. A third option is near Bangalore where an information technology investment region ( ITIR) spread over 42 square kilometers is being set up.

STMicroelectronics did not respond to a questionnaire sent on Monday, while an IBM spokesperson said the company it "does not comment on rumor or speculation".

The units are expected to get concessions worth nearly Rs 60,000 crore over 13 years, which will include a three-year construction period and the first 10 years of operations. "Chip-making requires high quality power and water supply, which need massive investments. Besides, globally companies locate facilities where governments offer certain benefits," said a high-ranking officer. Taiwan, South Korea and China have used concessions to attract investors.

Commerce & industry minister Anand Sharma confirmed that talks were underway but did not disclose details. He told TOI that the move was part of the government's drive to reduce dependence on import of products and shift to local manufacturing to deal with the problem of current account deficit. He said the demand for electronic hardware is expected to reach $400 billion by 2020, compared to around $45 billion now. A government estimate suggested that this requires investment of around $100 billion, which will create around 28 million.

Although India is an important centre for chip design and verification, production is non-existent. If the investments materialize, they would create a large vendor base and would result in further foreign investment into the country.

This is India's second attempt to attract chipmakers into the country after an earlier bid failed five years ago. In 2007, the government had announced a package to woo investors but had to revise it last year to make it more attractive. Intel and SemIndia were companies that had shown interest.

Even this time Planning Commission has certain reservations but the issue is set to be decided by the Union cabinet.

Global giants look to invest Rs 50,000 crore in chip-making in India - The Times of India

I heard something similar 5 years ago.. but it did not materialize yet.. they were supposed to invest in hyd.

Bring it on. We need to increase our exports and what better way than exporting the HEART of all modern day electronics.

Tough stuff, if you ask me. Semiconductor chip making is a highly commoditized business and i wonder why would chipmakers leave highly industrial Taiwan at the higher end and HUGE scale oriented China on the other end to shift to us, India, when we really have no industrial base, we are developing a reputation at screwing MNCs the wrong way land have hyper wage inflations... Plus, IBM doesn't mske chips anymore. I thought they sold their hardware business to Lenovo (a chinese major)? IBM does service oriented IT consulting business in and from India and therefore, I think it is an overzealous reporter doing some funny reporting by adding up one and one to make three...

This doesnt make sense. It's probably a lie. Create 28 million what? From 45$ billion to 400$ billion in 6 years? Why India that doesn't have any infrastructure? Even brazil is more advance than us in this regard.

Tough stuff, if you ask me. Semiconductor chip making is a highly commoditized business and i wonder why would chipmakers leave highly industrial Taiwan at the higher end and HUGE scale oriented China on the other end to shift to us, India, when we really have no industrial base, we are developing a reputation at screwing MNCs the wrong way land have hyper wage inflations... Plus, IBM doesn't mske chips anymore. I thought they sold their hardware business to Lenovo (a chinese major)? IBM does service oriented IT consulting business in and from India and therefore, I think it is an overzealous reporter doing some funny reporting by adding up one and one to make three...

1. India is HUGE market. Put a 6% customs duty .. and anyone who produces domestically gains a 6% profit margin.

India is already the third largest smart phone market in the world ... and even then, the untapped market looks huge.

Good that Reliance refused Samsung on price .... I wish Reliance sources domestically its 4G handsets, beginning with assembly and moving up the value chain to components manufacture as well.

2. It is naive to think that India has "no industrial base". Its only low as a fraction of the overall GDP, but the GDP itself is quite large that still makes manufacturing a huge employer and income generator.

Good, how much will they be paying to a Nanotechnologist/Semiconductor physicist? :ashamed:

Because production costs are soaring in the aforementioned nations.

If the Indian government has any vision then they won't let any hiccup or scam stop this project from going forward. We have no shortage of skilled labour in this field. Almost 1 million engineers are graduating in India every year, many of them in ECE.

Now the question is how do we do it???
Well, we can learn from the automotive industry. When Suzuki partnered with Maruti the first car they cam up with had nothing but the carpets made in India. It took about 10 years for reach 80-95% Indian content addition that too after 1991 reforms of almost 0% duties on Automotive sector. Indian automotive industry is a success story which survived not only the tough Indian infrastructure but also defeated foreign competition under the most open free trade policies.

I believe this can be done in the electronics sector as well with a little additional support from the GOI in the form of incentives. India right now doesn't have the economy of scale in electronics, to build it we need GOI support. Once is built it must thrive on its own with foreign and domestic demand.

For every 1$ invested in services sector by the GOI, they made 8$ in 2 decades. Today GOI is offering 4 bill$+ incentives for manufacturing companies, provided with right policies this can change India.

More factors that can help electronics sector in India:
1. Electronics manufacturing is not land intensive but capital and tech intensive industry, so land acquisition should not be a hurdle. Most projects are brownfield.

2. First time in history, 2 Indian handset makers are holding the top share of Indian mobile market otherwise dominated by foreign companies. Micromax, lava, karbonn are all out competing foreign handset makers. They are ready to shift manufacturing ops to India given right policies.

3. Indian oil and Gold bills are already exploding and electronics bill is about to explode in 2-3 years if not capped. We can't build Gold and Oil but we can build electronics, so govt has to act, they got no options.

1. India is HUGE market. Put a 6% customs duty .. and anyone who produces domestically gains a 6% profit margin.

India tried to protect domestic manufacturers using the preferential market access policy, but Uncle Sam sent a warning and GOI was back on the drawing board.

http://www.innovationfiles.org/india-to-reevaluate-preferential-market-access-pma-rules/

This is like the Pakistani coal threads. Been hearing about it for a decade now, no movement.

Back
Top Bottom